Newport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Newport President, CEO, and Director Robert J. Phillippy

Robert J. Phillippy

Good experience, but no upward mobility

I worked at Newport full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood working environment, Great people

ConsVery few advancement opportunities, too frequent layoffs, salaries below par

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on promoting your top performers instead of just buying other companies.

Good place to work

Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Newport

ProsVery good 401K match, good benefit, the HR people are nice. Nice small quiet town. A lot to learn.

ConsVery tight schedule. Not a lot of opportunties for career advancement.

Nice stable company.

I have been working at Newport

ProsStability, work closely with technology.

ConsDifficultly in up ward mobility.

Difficult

I worked at Newport

ProsNewport products are critical part of research and high tech equipment advances in Microelectronics, Defense, Astronomy, and Life and Health Sciences. Competitive pay and good benefits.

ConsVery fragmented company structure. Management makes decisions based on what will help them achieve their near term objectives for their department/division, not based on what is in the best interest of the customers, employees or long term interest of the share holders and company at large. Little, to no, accountability for failure to meet commitments. There are some very dedicated employees that carry the weight and step in and perform the tasks of others, but even they cannot compensate for the poor day to day management and lack of effort to improve systems, efficiencies, processes and service.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at solving systemic issues. So many resources are involved in reactive "firefighting" that nobody can or will take the time to investigate, identify the root cause, and put the issus to rest, especially because it involves so many different divisions that do not cooperate well.

Poor leadership, the General Manager is running the division as though it is a separate entity from the corporation.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY

I worked at Newport

ProsThe benefits package for a position with Newport is fairly decent with the company covering 80% of Medical insurance. There is also 401K matching and profit sharing available.

ConsThe Sales group has been a revolving door for almost 5 years. This is due to several reasons, mostly because the GM, who is a micro-manager, is unable to articulate the exact requirements for what he would consider success. There are little to no systems in place to help achieve any goals that would be set either. The GM has no experience in sales and is unable to comprehend or appreciate the value of a qualified sales rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the General Manager from his position and you should see at least a 10 to 15% growth in sales! The replacement leader should embrace the Newport Corporate name and leverage this to gain access to accounts globally.

It was outside of my field of Optics and wasn't given much freedom to branch out.

Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Newport

ProsWell known name. Stable industry.Good knowledge base. There are some very good people with good work ethics. The techs are good workers and want to do as much as they can to help out in delivering a product.

ConsThere is no clear path to promotions. The training for all areas is weak. The is little loyalty to the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if the company would provide more of a quarterly incentive. It is good to get anything in my opinion, but when the company has has the best two years of its entire history, the checks should be larger.

A good place to work if you are a director or above

I have been working at Newport

ProsThe only thing that is a pro is that the company serves the industry that may not directly tie into mainstream, so does not have an affect on the recent economic downturn.
There is no other pros

ConsNo opportunities for growth. Company is really focus on making upper managment and executives richer. Very low incentives for employees. No cross training and no mentoring environment to encourage growth and promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus more on fostering growth and mentoring of existing talent pool

Newport is a great place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newport

ProsNewport is a large corporation which crosses over a number of technologies. For a technical professional is present a good deal of opportunity.

ConsBecause Newport has been around for so long and has grown through acquisition it sometimes feels less like a cohesive team.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome portion of management seems resistant to change which for a growing company in a technical field seems counter intuitive.

Overall good company to work for...

I have been working at Newport

ProsA friendly work environment, okay benefit, strong brand reputation whithin photonics industry, fairly stable business due to the diversification of product and focus on research industry, lower entry barrier competitor, good customer service

Conscompensation below market rate, periodic reorg leading low morale, cross-divisional issue, job market is not big enough in southern CA area to seek more compensation within industry,

Advice to Senior Managementmore focus on marketing and product rationalization is needed rather than the revenue growth,

Good company with room for advancement

I worked at Newport full-time

ProsGood benefits, room to grow, great co-workers.

ConsSometimes upper management hears only what they want and does not listen to the employee who actually knows the situation on the ground.

Worked for Newport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newport reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newport CEO Robert J. Phillippy. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Newport employees.