Newport News Public Schools Reviews

Reset
3.7
Newport News Public Schools Superintendent Ashby C. Kilgore
Ashby C. Kilgore

1. Inspiring the Future to become their Greatest Selves!

Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Newport News, VA

I worked at Newport News Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a wonderful array of coursework, and a wide enough variety of classes and secondary school opportunities for the development of any and all occupational pursuits. Great school system for continuously re-energizing devoted educators who have a passion for instructing and inspiring!

Cons

Unfortunately, as is the case for far too many school systems, there are a small percentage of teachers deeply entrenched in the system that simply don't teach. The highly detailed curricula that is laid out for their class(es) just simply is not taught anywhere close to in its entirety. Working along side such rare cases can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Instill a pervasive practice throughout all NNPS schools to carry out quarterly (or perhaps more frequently) teacher workshops where the most passionate, inspiring, and successful teachers inspire and equip their cohorts to be more effective!

2. Perfect place to grow

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Newport News, VA

Pros

many opportunities, good salary steps, good schools, great professional development, professional environment

Cons

Human Resources can be slow

3. Administrator

I have been working at Newport News Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good working environments. Opportunities for growth and a chance to make a difference for children.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Great place to work. Recommend it to others. You can help build the character of students and prepare future leaders.

5. Good place to work

I have been working at Newport News Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity, Professionalism and Progressive district.

Cons

None. There is nothing to add.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.

6. Working with kids.

Current Employee - Instructiona, L Assistant in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Instructiona, L Assistant in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Public Schools full-time

Pros

The staff is awesome and you. the atomsphere working in the school system is good. You get the summer off and spend times with the kids and do things that you can't do while you are at work. Like cleaning the house and taken trips with the family.

Cons

The downside working at the school system is that you get paid once a month and you don't have alot of hours and they test the kids so much. You can't build up time when you have kids or have alot of doctors appointments to go to.

7. Five Years of Teaching in Newport News

Current Employee - Teacher in Newport News, VA

Pros

Good people still work here. The hiring process was fairly painless and the system hires many young or new teachers.

Cons

In the last five years, the school district has spiraled downhill. Administration is weak in most schools and demands are high and constantly changing. If you do not agree with the policies in place, the district will bully you until you quit. I am leaving before they can bully me out.

Advice to Management

Find a way to hold your administrators accountable and be honest and open with your budget. There is no reason that the budget is not released to teachers.

8. Excellent student opportunities for area, staff supported

Current Employee - Science Teacher
    Current Employee - Science Teacher

Pros

School system offers technology for students, magnet school options, full time gifted program and multiple resources not available in nearby districts. There is a focus on student success and staff is supported.

Cons

There are great differences in resources between different schools within the division. Some schools are equipped with much more than others. It seems that the district isn't going in a clear direction and has multiple policy changes and curriculum changes even mid-year that are confusing and difficult to keep up with.

9. Good system to work in; but, the school you are assigned to is most critical factor in employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Teacher in Newport News, VA

Pros

You will have a job as long as you don't critically mess up.

Cons

Push from top to improve student performance can be too intense at times.

Advice to Management

Provide real support to teachers. Not just lip service.

10. Top Heavy

Former Employee - Federal Programs Director in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Federal Programs Director in Newport News, VA

I worked at Newport News Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students come from a variety of home experiences, including military, and bring a myriad of strengths and needs for the school district to respond to.

Cons

Top heavy with highest levels not responding to the needs of the field. Too interested in building their own empire than really doing anything methodical over time.

Advice to Management

Stay away.

11. Overall, a good company to work for if you want a flexible schedule and like to work with kids.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to select the schools you would like to substitute in. You can look at available assignments on the computer or get a phone call if a job becomes available. I have subbed mainly at my kids' school and know all of the teachers so they contact me directly to schedule me ahead of time. If I need days off, I can put those dates into the computer and then I won't be contacted.

Cons

The training program when you are first hired is pretty poor, especially for someone who'd never taught or had any teacher training. Also, it was totally unclear to me that my pay stubs were emailed to my school/work email. I don't recall being informed that I had an email address, much less how to access it. It is hard to be a substitute without a laptop that is loaded with the SmartBoard software. Each class has a SmartBoard and they take up almost all of the chalkboard space. When you are subbing and need to use the chalkboard (because there is no way to use the SmartBoard), it is difficult to find space to write assignments, homework, examples, etc.

Advice to Management

Check in with the substitutes after they have been working in the system for awhile, maybe a year. Ask them what support they need and provide it.

RSS Feed </> Embed