Newport News Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Newport News Public Schools Superintendent Ashby C. Kilgore

Ashby C. Kilgore

Overall, a good company to work for if you want a flexible schedule and like to work with kids.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsYou are able to select the schools you would like to substitute in. You can look at available assignments on the computer or get a phone call if a job becomes available. I have subbed mainly at my kids' school and know all of the teachers so they contact me directly to schedule me ahead of time. If I need days off, I can put those dates into the computer and then I won't be contacted.

ConsThe training program when you are first hired is pretty poor, especially for someone who'd never taught or had any teacher training. Also, it was totally unclear to me that my pay stubs were emailed to my school/work email. I don't recall being informed that I had an email address, much less how to access it.
    It is hard to be a substitute without a laptop that is loaded with the SmartBoard software. Each class has a SmartBoard and they take up almost all of the chalkboard space. When you are subbing and need to use the chalkboard (because there is no way to use the SmartBoard), it is difficult to find space to write assignments, homework, examples, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with the substitutes after they have been working in the system for awhile, maybe a year. Ask them what support they need and provide it.

Well ran schools, poor salaries

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsExcellent Administration and resources available for students and families. Emphasis on safety and character for students and staff. Caring and involved administrative staff at individual schools. Strong leadership and comradery of staff at schools.

ConsVery poor salaries with minimal opportunity for raises. Much different environment than hospital and clinic setting where there is availability for assistance from other medical staff. Must be independent and comfortable being alone most days.

Elementary Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsTechnology availability, administrative support, Professional colleagues

ConsUnrealistic expectations, lock step curriculum, "program of the year" approach to curriculum

Advice to Senior ManagementReading needs to involve more actual reading, Text books need to be digital - with a device for every child.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfying Work

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsGood instructional materials and support provided.

ConsRigorous curriculcum takes a lot of time to plan.

GED Instructor, Part-time

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsThere is an opportunity to shape the lives of students.

ConsThere might not be much recognition or immediate results.

In both times, my experience has been positive

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsThe best reasons to work with NNPS has been the children and families! I have met so many families and have letter from parents where I have been able to help their child or children.
     I can't wait to come back!

ConsDownside, especially during this part of the year, new teachers to be hired during these last few weeks of August can be daunting because of all of the training involved, plus having to have your classroom ready by the last Friday of this month can prove to be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease compliment your staff. Even on the roughest days, a compliment from management can be a day brightener.

Lack of Support for Substitutes

Temporary Employee (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsFlexibiltiy in work hours and the kids

ConsYou are basically a number here as the schools have all the power and Human Resources does not give a hill of beans about their Substitutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is sad that a school can tell lies about a substitute or temporary employee and NN Schools does nothing to find it the truth. Teachers don't leave plans,,,,leave shoddy plans and we are suppose to figure it out.
    The bad teachers I have seen in some of these schools is unreal....you should here some of the crap that comes out of their mouths.....I will not be returning next year

Political! It's not what you know but, who you know!

Daily-degreed Substitute (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsI love the students. I love my peers and co-workers. Easy job to snag no background check or drug test.(dangerous) Flexibility when wriing lesson plans and executing them.

ConsPure example at NNPS
    "The teachers are afraid of the principal;
    The principal is afraid of the superintendent;
    The superintendent is afraid of the school board;
    The school board is afraid of the parents;
    The parents are afraid of the kids;
    and
    The kids are afraid of no one!"

~ Author unknown

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your faculty and staff.

Overall

Newport News, VA

ProsLarge school district with diversity

ConsLack of overall organization and shared mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider structured growth and cultivation.

Student Focused

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsDecisions are made with the students' best interests in mind. There are many opportunities for professional development. Plus, tons of amazing people work for the division so you are able to learn a lot from your colleagues.

ConsYou may get very attached to a school and find out that you are being sent to another school within the district the next year. (This could be a pro if you are needing a change!)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what's best for kids!

Worked for Newport News Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newport News Public Schools reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newport News Public Schools CEO Ashby C. Kilgore. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Newport News Public Schools employees.