Newport News Shipbuilding

Matt Mulherin

Nuclear Engineer 2

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer II in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer II in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is fair. Great benafits. flexible schedule

Cons

Large company environment- it may not be for someone

Although the management does pretty well at this, i think its worth stressing that we should continue exploring different ways we can have employees learn more about various sectors of shipbuilding. Each department is a completely new world.

Awesome place to work as a summer intern.

Former Employee - Nuclear Propulsion Engineering Overhaul in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Propulsion Engineering Overhaul in Newport News, VA

I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is awesome for an intern, $22+/hr. It's like a recruiting trip, HR sets up lots of events for the interns and give you lots of merchandise. Unless you really aren't a good employee, they will give you an offer for a full time job when you graduate. They called me the first day of class senior year offering me a job. It's not hard to change departments when you're a full time employee. You get to see some awesome stuff, carriers/submarines. Everyone is eager to help the interns learn as much as they can.

Cons

They don't give interns a security clearance, so you can't do a lot of nuclear related stuff. Parking is a nightmare. You can pretty much only get an internship there if you know somebody. Definitely the good old boy system, it is a shipyard

Have a project ready for your incoming intern. My boss was tied up in a bunch of confidential stuff so I had to actively look for things to do.

A very good company to work for with excellent benefits and average pay.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician IV in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician IV in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- They have excellent benefits with matching 401K contributions, Pension, flexible hours, paid time off, healthcare (no ACA marketplace!), tuition assistance, etc...
    - Job security

Cons

Parking is a nightmare. Pay isn't very negotiable. HR Department is very strict about hiring for certain positions, so that even if you are very qualified for a job, if you don't meet every check-in-the-box, you can't have the job.

Give hiring managers leaway to choose who they want to hire.
    Maybe build some more parking garages.

Challenging and rewarding shipbuilding experience.

Former Employee - Construction Supervisor X70 in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Construction Supervisor X70 in Newport News, VA

I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Newport News Shipbuilding is committed to excellence, and employee development and safety. Several opportunities to advance your career.

Cons

Hours and environmental conditions can be a bit taxing. Often times, heating and air conditioning systems are out of commission leading to hot or cold work areas.

Be more sensitive to arduous work conditions and ensure safe recovery times along with ample breaks.

Job stability, unlimited ability to network, great benefits...

Current Employee - X 43 Nuclear Refueler in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - X 43 Nuclear Refueler in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is huge! There are so many different kinds of jobs in the shipyard that you could potentially do. There is a strong likelihood that you will gain experience here that you won't get elsewhere. Shipyard workers are usually willing to help each other. There is a union, and you have rights...

Cons

If you're in the trades, don' t expect to be on day shift unless you are an apprentice grad, or you know somebody important. They are very stingy about who they allow on dayshift. There is, supposedly, an process to change shifts, but don't count on it. If you don't end up on days right off, you likely never will.

Implement a shift rotation, most of your employees have lives and would like to live them sometimes. Quit dangling employees' jobs over their heads at every opportunity. Care about your workers, you're no better than them...

Rewarding work for great pay

Current Employee - X32- deck plates in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - X32- deck plates in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can be a great place to work. 90 percent of the people are friendly and make work fun. I have an amazing supervisor who places family above the job. At the end of the day, we build the ships and subs that will carry our military men and women all over the world, that is a legacy no one can take from my self or my fellow shipbuilders. The pay is good, the work can be strenuous and dangerous, but plenty of safety procedures in place to protect everyone.

Cons

The shipyard is stuck in the 20th century. They do not make use of any new technologies that would streamline work flow. A good deal of managers and general foreman are more concerned with getting people in trouble, rather than being a team player. For a great deal of the young new hires, there is a complete lack of suitable and sufficient training in place to bring them up to speed. Most are handed a bag of tools and expected to "figure it out" and a lot of the old-timers would rather do it themselves do to getting it done faster, rather than stepping back and teaching the new hires how to do a job the correct way. Contractors have to jump through hoops just to get PPE, which is interesting, considering how focused they are on a zero injuries for the year outlook. Contractors are disposable and viewed as general laborers (unless you work hard and your supervisor decides to treat you in correlation with that you bring to the team) so just pray you get a good supervisor like X32 D. Burr or G. Diggs. Other great supervisors are X42 M. Jones Jr. General foreman M. Gratton...and many more. For every great supervisor, is a bad one as well. Just do what is asked, show up on time and every day and you will have a job as long as you would like one! Once you are in...you are in, just don't screw up a lot.

Let your people work without always worrying about getting in trouble. Guide and train your new employees. For gods sake, start using tough books or tough pads for the foreman to coordinate their employees and have walking references to their jobs. Need a better form of communication between foreman and workers.

Lacks real effort or understanding on developing an engaged workforce.

Current Employee - Contracts in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Contracts in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to work different positions and learn the complexities of overhauling or building ships and subs. Very challenging and dynamic.

Cons

Engagement seems to be lip service in many areas. A joke within the ranks. Poor management is not addressed instead it is swept under the rug by deflecting problems back to the employees. I fully agree with the other input that many are actively disengaged. The open door policy is negated by the latter behavior and the perception and/or existence of "the good ol' boy" network. There is a flex policy that could offer the company a leg into the new age, but it is not applied consistently across the board. Instead it exists but then leaves it to the manager to determine if and to the extent they will allow it.

Get out of your corner offices, walk the floor, visit the waterfront and get to know those people who are the sole reason your plans help you reach your goals. Don't insult your workforce by partaking of bonuses and parsing out ridiculous raise percentages. If the company has done well enough that you deserve a bonus, then the employees deserve to be rewarded financially so they can better support their families. Eliminate the PA review that offers a 4 pt scale on which 4 simply does not exist and 3 has become the new 4. Most people are 2's; just barely above the bottom of the barrel. Ask yourself what this says about your ability to hire a quality workforce.

A great learning experience that was both unique and rewarding.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern X15 in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern X15 in Newport News, VA

I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had the chance to work with and on aircraft carriers and submarines. I can't stress this enough. Walking on the carriers was an amazing experience. I learned a lot as an upcoming engineering. I got real work experience and had my own projects without much micromanagement.

Cons

The intern program was still in its infancy, so there wasn't a lot of organized meet and greets among interns. Also, I did have to stand up for myself to get some good projects. The first two weeks were pretty boring, but once I found my groove it was a great time.

Have interesting projects ready for the interns before they arrive so you are not scrambling when they show up to find something for them to do.

NNS

I have been working at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time

Pros

Quick to hire navy vets

Cons

Too much politics with the nuclear navy

Okay money, I you actually want to do something with your life just go to college

I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding full-time

Pros

Good money for kids straight out of high school

if you are happy in a trade field your whole life get a few years experience here and move to a decent company as soon as possible

Cons

-parking
    -management
    -no morals
    -terrible communication from upper management
    -getting stuck with an awful job the rest of your life
    -many more