Newport Television

Newport Television Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandy DiPasquale

As a start-up TV company they managed to keep most employees happy and the stations running.

IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Newport Television full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good pay and benefits!

ConsVery few resources to turn to if you need help.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't embrace new technology before you understand it!!

Decent employer

Producer (Former Employee)
Mobile, AL

I worked at Newport Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe station did an excellent job of promoting from within.

ConsThe management did not evenly distribute holidays, and the same people worked them every time.

Account Executive

I have been working at Newport Television full-time

ProsNot much. Sold all properties.

ConsVery poor run company. They did not have a clue on how a media company works on a local level.

Good Company to work for, Good benefits

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Newport Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, pay, and understanding people on the corporate level that are willing to listen.

ConsNot much Holiday time off or Vaca time when forst starting out

Interesting.

Sales (Current Employee)
Watertown, NY

I have been working at Newport Television

ProsNice atmosphere-nice staff
Nice benefits

ConsA formal training program is not here.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal training program

I would describe it as a stressful & degrading experience.

Office Clerk (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at Newport Television

ProsThe co-workers are awesome. Everyone works well as a team. Some of the best people in their fields. True professionals.

ConsThe management is terrible. They take away any encouragement & replace it with derogatory remarks. They remind everyone how terrible a job they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little encouragement and a pat on the back once in a while does a lot for the moral of your employees.

Management is downright mean.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Newport Television

ProsThey bought out Clear Channel which is a good thing. Compensation is fare and for the most part, except in my experience, it's a good time.

ConsAt my location they were downsizing and hired managers that were competent but downright mean. Change is good but they are going through a lot and it sucks having to walk around with your tail between your legs thinking your going to be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice and not so intimidating. Remember we have families to go home to and would appreciate a more stable work environment.

Worse than Clear Channel

I have been working at Newport Television full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is a collection of smart, talented, dedicated staff there. They maintain a high integrity even though the folks higher up the food chain don't care.

ConsCompany cheers about "letting local stations run themselves" then micro-manages everything. Corporate management will not listen to local staff. The only accountability station general managers have is to be in the black. It doesn't matter how this is done, and generally the method is to never give salary increases, don't hire important positions (1.5 years without a sales manager, 1 year without a chief engineer is not unheard of), dump extra work on an already overworked staff. And, above all, never invest in the infrastructure of a station so that it remains competitive. Equipment is so old frequently stations will go dark, and money isn't even made available to fix the equipment that is new enough to BE fixed.

Sales is treated like royalty with zero accountability. Oversell your inventory for an entire quarter? No problem, just cut 5 minutes of content out of the local news and run the spots there. Can't manage to sell out the Superbowl (I am not kidding)? No problem just run an agency buy there.

The best people get better offers elsewhere and come back to management and say, "I'd like to stay here. Can you match this?" These folks are treated like traitors and immediately shown the door. Most of the staff congratulates them on the way out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking you know how to run a TV station in a market bigger than 250.

Worked for Newport Television? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newport Television reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newport Television CEO Sandy DiPasquale. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Newport Television employees.