News America Marketing

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Martin Garofalo

Pros
  • opportunity to travel, good benefits, nice office (in 10 reviews)

• People are great, employes are only promoted from within, vast portfolio to sell (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop (in 16 reviews)

• Crazy hours, no work/life balance, hours of mindless busy work, promotions based on favoritism, terrible place to work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent, great training, culture and clients.

Former Employee - Account Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at News America Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the clients that you work with and the promote from within mentality, if you want to stay somewhere for a long time and like sales, this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

Many people out of college may not know if sales is the route they want to go, so turnover can be high. You have to be willing to climb the corporate latter if you will, not for everyone.

nothing, they have a great system for the right people!

Incompetent boss and lack of pay makes you wanna go away.

I worked at News America Marketing part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Made your own hours. Reimbursed for mileage. Didn't constantly have someone looking over your shoulder. Good experience dealing with store managers.

Cons

Boss refused to pay for hours worked. In a three year time span, pay was wrong at least 15 times--off by hours. At the end, policies were changed without notice and pay was withheld. When asked for these policies in writing, was constantly given excuses and that I'd get an employee handbook the next time we met up, but the next time never came.

Pay your employees for the work they do.

Some benefits with some letdowns.

I worked at News America Marketing part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent starting pay
    Flexible hours-Make your own schedule, most of the time.
    You aren't constantly working with management looking over your shoulder.

Cons

Everything that isn't listed above. If you have a manager who is not only out for themselves, then you might just get lucky. The manager would randomly take hours away that you've already worked without saying a single word to you. You would expect a decent paycheck and be confused when you looked at your account in the morning and it's significantly less than what you had figured.There is so much wear on the car, and if your area doesn't have a warehouse then you have to store everything at your home/in your car. The work itself isn't bad at all, just keep track of your hours on a weekly basis. I'm not trying to discourage, just being honest.

I feel that you should work in the store as a rep if you haven't already. There's a lot of work, and the budget doesn't always fit that. Helper reps are fantastic tools for the main rep, they do just as much work and help get the work done in less time. They should also be paid travel time to the store, without being a helper rep they wouldn't have to go to the store. Sometimes the travel time is several hours. Work to keep your good employees, not just who is cheapest and most naive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company

I worked at News America Marketing

Pros

Working for News America Marketing is an excellent opportunity, the benefits are excellent, the company has terrific values and the leadership is very motivating.

Cons

There are no Cons when working at News America Marketing, the work-life balance is excellent, there are lots of perks, company events, gym membership available, weight watchers meetings available.

Keep up the good work

Great place to work

Current Employee - Account Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

-great team
    -upward mobility
    -office space
    -compensation
    -happy hour events
    -great weekly meetings

Cons

-cold weather
    -on the job training
    -vacation days

Excellent place to start and develop your career

Former Employee - Vice President, GSM  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President, GSM in New York, NY

I worked at News America Marketing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked at News America for a number of years. The people are great, the products work well (although becoming dated), and the relationships you can build with clients are stellar and life lasting.

Cons

Since its a big company it can be a bit bureaucratic.

Nice job with flexible hours

I have been working at News America Marketing

Pros

This job provides for flexibility in hours and when jobs must be finished. Great for independent workers. Great for retirees and "stay-at-home" parents.

Cons

Little pay but not much better than other places where you may not get to set your own hours.

Change is in the air

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are great, upper level managers are very accessible, CEO actually knows who people are by name

Cons

Last company with mandatory business attire

Summer Fridays and occasional dress down days are big moral boosters

Typical Corporate Culture

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The workday ends at 5pm. Employees are friendly and pleasant. Internal opportunities for growth are plenty. Interview process is simple and straightforward.

Cons

Training is lacking but this probably depends on your department. Corporate work environment is ingrained in the culture and not likely to change. Not an entrepreneurial environment.

Change is good.

Company Culture needs SERIOUS fixing and prepare for pressure and long hours

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at News America Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is great
    You know what to expect, generally, on the daily in terms of work load
    When you have to travel the accommodations are awesome
    The offices are all in great, beautiful locations
    There were a few people who were actually nice

Cons

First in order to work there you had to be attractive. Throughout the whole time I interacted with NAM employees in my office and across different offices I had yet to see a single overweight female. Nearly everyone who worked there was good looking. It's sales so that must be the reason why. There was also VERY LITTLE diversity. The people that I worked with were extremely superficial and heavily into labels. If you weren't that way, you likely didn't fit in. Many people there were extremely smart but arrogant. There were A LOT of snobs (mainly the girls). ACs, in my opinion, were treated like their AD's flunkies. They rarely took many of their ACs on sales calls. Being promoted to AA wasn't that hard but they made being promoted to AD extremely difficult. Be prepared for late nights and long hours. There's a bunch of number crunching, spreadsheets, and systems. If you need to work traditional hours like a 9-5 (which is what they claim the hours are) and adhere to that time, it is frowned upon. The turn over was UNREAL. One day you would be there and see someone and the next day they were gone. I saw about 6 people get let go in about a year and a half which is alarming for a relatively small office. They made us do role plays with just you and two GMs in front of the whole office which is unnecessary and humiliating to have a whole office watching you. I believe they should be done privately. Lastly, at company outings there were too many people getting drunk and behaving obnoxiously for "professionals." I was extremely turned off by the whole experience and quit! To me, the decent salary simply wasn't worth it. Perhaps there have been a few changes and every office is different. This was just my experience.

You seriously need to refine your company culture. It is very unpleasant to work with people who exude such arrogance. The offices were extremely "clicky." I also recommend diversifying your company more as well. Lastly, listen to your employees and treat them with respect, including the ACs.

Worked for News America Marketing? Contribute to the Community!