News America Marketing

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
3.3

Martin Garofalo

Pros
  • opportunity to travel, good benefits, nice office (in 10 reviews)

• Pay is better than most entry-level jobs, great experience, sales development program is great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop (in 16 reviews)

• Crazy hours, no work/life balance, hours of mindless busy work, promotions based on favoritism, terrible place to work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great professional experience

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at News America Marketing full-time

Pros

Provides continuous training, great career advancement options, great entry level job and salary

Cons

Your experience ultimately depends on who your Account Director is.

The best decision out of college for your career

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place to start your career right out of college. One of the great things about NAM is that everyone in sales is relatively young and your age, so the office is inviting and you can make a lot of friends. The salary is also competitive, and I liked how there was no guesswork in what others were making around me. The job and development plan is very structured, which I appreciated.

Great training sessions in NY and your office during tenure. This is a Sales Development Program, but you aren't expected to really "Sell" anything until 1 year in. You spend time learning the portfolio and practice sales with your manager in real meetings. By the time you do start selling, you feel comfortable and confident.

You get the experience to work one-on-one with major CPG players and retailers. As you learn and gain more responsibility, you are the person Marketing Directors, Brand Managers, CMO's etc rely on. It's a great feeling to know you are their go-to person.

You can earn 6 figures in roughly 4 years if you play your cards right.

Cons

The biggest thing I learned my first year is that some people are just not meant to be managers (even if they are a great salesperson). Whether you have a great or horrible experience at NAM depends on your management team, territory, & division. Lucky for me, I rotated a number of times to different managers and divisions, so I got the most out of my tenure. I've had plenty of great managers, and a few not so good ones. The biggest issue with NAM is the rotation schedule. Some people rotate plenty of times (like me), others don't rotate at all and become stuck. They claim they won't rotate you if you don't "progress" in your current role, but I don't see how you can progress if you aren't given the opportunity to learn more and work under new management styles. Some managers are just bad, and thats not the Coordinator's fault.

As a Coordinator, don't expect to be traveling all over the nation pitching the products. You'll start from the ground up, and yes, the work can be tedious and not challenging. You won't put together a million dollar contract your first week. It takes time to learn the portfolio and how to strategically solve problems.

Like I mentioned, the great thing about this company is how young everyone is (we did all just graduate college). The office, depending on where you are, can still be boring. I hated the monotone walls and cubicles. We also had to dress business casual, which on some days was just a drag. Wearing suits got boring real quick. Really, no casual Friday? Also, once you get older its a little difficult to connect with those who just onboard (you may be 27 but feel so old next to a 22 year old...)

Most people leave because 1) you feel you aren't valued -- i.e. the tedious work, 2) Poor Management or 3) Sales is not for you.

Culture wise...you got to make yourself known if you want to move quickly up to a Director level. Not saying its what NAM is all about, but if there are 15 people applying to a Director level role, you better be someone they recognize. There is a lot of kiss ups to jump over to get places, so if you are more on the quiet side it may just take longer to get where you need to be.

- Keep rotating people

- Fix the favoritism: You promote people based on how well you like them, vs. their numbers and true talent

- Review dress code: Casual Dress Days etc

- There are GSM's at NAM that don't deserve to manage a team anymore. If more than average people quit under you in a few years...there is an issue. HR seems afraid to ever do anything with these managers.

- Streamline Systems: So much time is wasted filling out spreadsheets, printing documents, building decks, filling out memo's etc. Update your systems to make things a one-click step for sales. We spent too much time prepping for sales calls than selling

Great work environment and motivated individuals who enjoy sales

Current Employee - Account Associate
    Current Employee - Account Associate

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my managers and clients. Managers will do everything in their power to see you do well and welcome open communication.

Cons

Very 9-5, no flexibility in work hours. Not everyone has laptops so they get stuck in the office.

Consider a more flexible work environment and laptops for everyone.

It was way too much babysitting part-time employees.

Former Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at News America Marketing full-time

Pros

I loved the independence of the position. Work could be done day or night depending on whether it was computer work at home or work withs with the reps.

Cons

I didn't like the amount of reports and such that had to be submitted. Also, there was change constantly on the way things were done. I understand changing to improve the future, however, you have to give a change the chance to work before changing it again.

Management should even out the workloads.

Its a great job I really enjoy doing this

Current Employee - In Store Representative in Stillwater, OK
    Current Employee - In Store Representative in Stillwater, OK

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the travel from town to town and the drive pay and gas card. I really enjoy getting to choose when i go to work and when i come home from work. As long as we get out stores done by the last day of the pay period it doesn't matter when we do it. Wal-mart is open 24 hours so if you choose to do it at 2 a.m. thats fine. I also love getting paid by the hour for driving from town to town and getting a very nice gas allowance also. I love the variety of the work also. we get paid for every little thing we do. If we are sorting and organizing our materials just watch the clock and record it. If we print out material that is work related, turn in your reciept for your ink. they pay for every little thing.

Cons

I am on my own I have to use common sense and try to use good judgement. I worry about all the miles i put on my car and wish we could have larger routes and maybe a company vehicle or more compensation for our vehicles like oil changes etc.

I would like larger routes and full time. I would have also like to shawdow someone for a couple of days with pay to feel more comfortable with my job.

Good corporate internship experience, would advise that freshmen/sophmores in college take advantage.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at News America Marketing as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate experience, organizational experience, public speaking, some training, work-life balance

Cons

Not very exciting work, felt very pigeon-holed

more interaction between executives and lower level positions.

it is a satisfactory job

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Kirkland, WA

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-own boss
    -extremely flexible hours
    -easy to learn job
    It's an excellent job if you like to work alone and like to develop your own system to set up!

Cons

better compensation for mileage is definitely needed

Total lack of support from supervisors.

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have experience the pay is decent. You can work anytime the stores you service are open. Casual dress code.

Cons

Supervisor never answers repeated texts, emails and voice mails regarding important questions. Hours vary widely from week to week so paycheck varies greatly. Often paycheck is lower then hours worked and reported with no explanation. More hours keep being promised but never actually happen. Lack of communication leads to execution errors and blame is placed on in store reps. There is rarely enough equipment to install ads and coupons and we are told to do our best with what we have but never report to client that there is no equipment to install their ads. Training was a joke. Trained by someone who was never properly trained who basically showed how to do job as fast as possible and never trained on how to use handheld computer system. Mandatory training phone calls are a waste of time. Just wanted to add that if supervisors want to know what is really going on they should not ask in front of everyone. Budgeted time is not enough.

Better communication is key. All employee questions need to be answered in a timely manner. Stop blaming employees for your lack of properly explaining tasks and lack of following up. Make sure people that train new employees know what they are doing. Schedule more merchandising tasks during 3rd and 4th weeks. If you are not going to pay for time reported please explain to the employee. Lead by example.

Excellent, great training, culture and clients.

Former Employee - Account Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the clients that you work with and the promote from within mentality, if you want to stay somewhere for a long time and like sales, this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

Many people out of college may not know if sales is the route they want to go, so turnover can be high. You have to be willing to climb the corporate latter if you will, not for everyone.

nothing, they have a great system for the right people!

Incompetent boss and lack of pay makes you wanna go away.

Former Employee - In-Store Representative
    Former Employee - In-Store Representative

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made your own hours. Reimbursed for mileage. Didn't constantly have someone looking over your shoulder. Good experience dealing with store managers.

Cons

Boss refused to pay for hours worked. In a three year time span, pay was wrong at least 15 times--off by hours. At the end, policies were changed without notice and pay was withheld. When asked for these policies in writing, was constantly given excuses and that I'd get an employee handbook the next time we met up, but the next time never came.

Pay your employees for the work they do.