News America Marketing

Be The First To
Add Photos

News America Marketing Chairman and CEO Paul V. Carlucci

Paul V. Carlucci

Pros
  • opportunity to travel, good benefits, nice office(in 10 reviews)

• People are great, employes are only promoted from within, vast portfolio to sell(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop(in 16 reviews)

• Crazy hours, no work/life balance, hours of mindless busy work, promotions based on favoritism, terrible place to work(in 4 reviews)

Excellent place to start and develop your career

Vice President, GSM (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked at News America for a number of years. The people are great, the products work well (although becoming dated), and the relationships you can build with clients are stellar and life lasting.

ConsSince its a big company it can be a bit bureaucratic.

Nice job with flexible hours

ProsThis job provides for flexibility in hours and when jobs must be finished. Great for independent workers. Great for retirees and "stay-at-home" parents.

ConsLittle pay but not much better than other places where you may not get to set your own hours.

Change is in the air

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are great, upper level managers are very accessible, CEO actually knows who people are by name

ConsLast company with mandatory business attire

Advice to Senior ManagementSummer Fridays and occasional dress down days are big moral boosters

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical Corporate Culture

ProsThe workday ends at 5pm. Employees are friendly and pleasant. Internal opportunities for growth are plenty. Interview process is simple and straightforward.

ConsTraining is lacking but this probably depends on your department. Corporate work environment is ingrained in the culture and not likely to change. Not an entrepreneurial environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good.

Company Culture needs SERIOUS fixing and prepare for pressure and long hours

Account Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is great
    You know what to expect, generally, on the daily in terms of work load
    When you have to travel the accommodations are awesome
    The offices are all in great, beautiful locations
    There were a few people who were actually nice

ConsFirst in order to work there you had to be attractive. Throughout the whole time I interacted with NAM employees in my office and across different offices I had yet to see a single overweight female. Nearly everyone who worked there was good looking. It's sales so that must be the reason why. There was also VERY LITTLE diversity. The people that I worked with were extremely superficial and heavily into labels. If you weren't that way, you likely didn't fit in. Many people there were extremely smart but arrogant. There were A LOT of snobs (mainly the girls). ACs, in my opinion, were treated like their AD's flunkies. They rarely took many of their ACs on sales calls. Being promoted to AA wasn't that hard but they made being promoted to AD extremely difficult. Be prepared for late nights and long hours. There's a bunch of number crunching, spreadsheets, and systems. If you need to work traditional hours like a 9-5 (which is what they claim the hours are) and adhere to that time, it is frowned upon. The turn over was UNREAL. One day you would be there and see someone and the next day they were gone. I saw about 6 people get let go in about a year and a half which is alarming for a relatively small office. They made us do role plays with just you and two GMs in front of the whole office which is unnecessary and humiliating to have a whole office watching you. I believe they should be done privately. Lastly, at company outings there were too many people getting drunk and behaving obnoxiously for "professionals." I was extremely turned off by the whole experience and quit! To me, the decent salary simply wasn't worth it. Perhaps there have been a few changes and every office is different. This was just my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seriously need to refine your company culture. It is very unpleasant to work with people who exude such arrogance. The offices were extremely "clicky." I also recommend diversifying your company more as well. Lastly, listen to your employees and treat them with respect, including the ACs.

Excellent company with good work environment

In Store Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours with excellent supervision

ConsLow pay for the work required

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher wages

Mismanage

Back Office (Former Employee) Wilton, CT

ProsTypical pros of working for a big company.

ConsOld fashioned ethics and culture. Managers who only want to hear yes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Frustrating, political, and generally miserable

Account Associate (Former Employee)

ProsAs an Account Coordinator/Associate, you will get opportunities to travel to NYC and get a pretty hands-on training experience. You work around young, attractive people who are generally in the early stages of their careers, and it often shows. People come into NAM with a positive outlook and something to prove. Also, after you leave NAM, the "Newscorp" stamp on your resume opens you up to countless opportunities with big name companies.

ConsWhere to begin...

NAM prides itself on being incredibly corporate in any and all practices. Your suit jacket is black but your pants are gray? Go home, that isn't a proper suit. Is that a hint of facial hair I see? Here's a razor, go shave now before an exec sees you. Account Coordinators walk around in constant fear of not living up to a certain image of perfection that should have disappeared 20 years ago. You WILL be judged under a microscope, AD's and GSM's WILL say bad things about you behind your back, and you WILL, at some point, contemplate walking out on your lunch break (you get one of these elusive things monthly if you stay in line) and never going back.

My advice to you if you choose to work here: Don't break the status quo. Do not try to get creative or contribute to any real marketing efforts. Prepare to spend days upon days pounding numbers into spreadsheets and getting berated if you don't arrive at 8 am and leave at 8 pm. Understand that you will be pitted against your peers, and friends, and expected to burn bridges and throw others under the bus in order to get to the top. You will come to a breaking point, and you will have to make a choice as to whether it is worth it. I, for one, chose happiness, and left.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the GSM's who demand that employees "fall in line" and know just what they are - an easily replaceable salesperson. There are, in fact, a few good guys near the top at NAM. Do what's right and look out for the little guys. Don't leave that duty to GSM's and AD's that got where they are just because they could sell coupons. Being a good salesperson does not always mean you will be a good leader.

Great company if you're looking for a career as opposed to just a job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNAM offers a comprehensive training program for new hires, is run by a bottom line oriented management team, which means they make money and they have been and will be around for a long time...as opposed to numerous start ups that emphasize "quality of life" and are here and gone in short order...no, you can't bring your pets to work. They provide upward opportunity for those willing to work hard and a quality work environment. Like all companies, they are not perfect, but having worked for several, I can say this is a company where good things generally happen to good people. Having read some "sour puss' reviews I can only surmise they are largely coming from people who found it difficult to compete, the same people who will probably be floating from job to job looking for employment Nirvana and eventually wondering why success has passed them by (never understanding you have to work for it)...good luck!

ConsWhile NAM pays competitive compensation at entry levels and increasingly better packages for solid producers...this should be emphasized as opposed to a "one size fits all" perspective. Like many companies today the benefits continue to get trimmed, which is a con, but those with half a brain understand that that's part and parcel of modern corporate life in a world still operating on the fringes of a major recession and is often dictated by their parent corporation, News Corp, and is no different that most other major corporations; that being said, their medical benefits, vacations, etc. are competitive. This is not a place to consider unless you take career and career advancement seriously...if you do, then I would consider it. If you're just looking for a "job" and something to put on your resume (as NAM is a leader in their field), you'll be found out soon enough and see other more genuine employees move past you. Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop...I worked long hours because I was enthusiastic about the work I did, greatly enjoyed the people I worked with and believe in the maxim, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." PS: The CEO worked harder and put in more hours then anyone, which I think is a good indicator of why they are so successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more relaxed/casual business dress code is appealing to young hires...something to consider.

Good Experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Wilton, CT

ProsEmployees willing to help new people.

ConsNeed to adjust when get a new responsibility because such a fast pace.

Worked for News America Marketing? Contribute to the Community!