News America Marketing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Martin Garofalo

Pros
  • opportunity to travel, good benefits, nice office (in 10 reviews)

• Good entry-level experience working closely with clients and internal departments (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop (in 16 reviews)

• Crazy hours, no work/life balance, hours of mindless busy work, promotions based on favoritism, terrible place to work (in 5 reviews)

1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Field Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time

Pros

Very flexible company and help there as much as you need. You do your work as you schedule works for you. I loved doing this job

Cons

Job Is enjoyable to work. But sorting marketing materials was the most difficult part of the job. Manager was very good and was easy to work with.

Advice to Management

More training on how to sort marketing ad. They so many things look the same yet go in different stores. Employees should be making a lot more in pay 8.50 hour after taxes is Nothing to what you do

2. senior coordinator market research

I worked at News America Marketing full-time

Pros

nice environment, friendly people very accessible

Cons

low salary, not much development for non sales people

Advice to Management

better advancement, salary

3. merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

getting paid weekly - flexible schedule - loved my clients and they loved me! - I had a helper rep who was a fantastic tool

Cons

low mileage reimbursement - low wage for all you do - way too much equipment you have to store at home - make sure when you have to contact a manager its in an email to cover your butt - no offer for any benefits or vacation days - no meetings over 5 years not even a phone conference/meeting

Advice to Management

abide by the 5 operating principles much better - communication is the key - make sure managers are conducting monthly meetings and not spring one on you the day before - hire managers who actually care about the work more like a leader and not a boss who worries about her stats for the month - become more aware of lazy managers - hire managers who know how to answer a simple email and not beat around the bush - treat your employees better with benefits - no pat on the back for going the extra miles for clients from either the manager or district manager - get qualified people to manage your workers by rotating them - recruit staff who have intelligence, skills and a strong work ethic to get along with all people - no open communication in this area as the manager always sabotaging my work load with no equipment - manager never answers repeated emails or calls so we are told to do the best we can with no equipment available - you have to work to keep the good employees and phase out the managers who dont give 100% - no appreciation by manager - have never been treated so unfairly by my manager by threatening me and berating me while laughing at me - then by a district manager not believing in me over a manager - NAM area managers inaccessible when needed - area managers do not treat all reps fairly - listen to the reps as there are bad managers who are looking for gullible people - you cant trust anyone anymore to give you advice over the phone - get it in an email to cover your butt - its not always the reps fault as it comes from higher up - manager - middle management is very poor as they create very low morale and a slave driver mentality - no recognition of any hard work for reps - certain managers treat you like slaves - maintain better lines of communication and provide all the correct supplies to do the jobs correctly

5. Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Kirkland, WA

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You set your own hours. You get to work alone. You have monthly meetings with everyone which you can attend in person or just do a group phone meeting

Cons

Low mileage reimbursement. Low hourly wage

Advice to Management

Need to pay more hourly

6. part time merchandiser

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time

Pros

Work your own schedule. Work solo.

Cons

Low pay. Huge amounts if supplies, ads etc continually taking up space in your car, garage, home. Cartons, cartons and more cartons.

Advice to Management

Seriously underpaid for the amount if work we do. Materials stored in our cars and homesm

Area Manager

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work out of home. Independent and autonomy. Company car.

Cons

Too large of area to cover. High number of remote reps to supervise. 50-60 hours a week to be successful. Salary too low. Too much equipment and materials stored in home.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate number of reps manager supervises. Pay higher salary. Give more positive feedback.

8. Excellent. People are extraordinarily helpful and has a great teamwork feeling.

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hard and be nice person and you can do very well here

Cons

Company is a bit too old school. (Dress code is still very formal)

Advice to Management

Be tougher with slacker employees

9. Great People

I worked at News America Marketing

Pros

Great team of professionals and working environment. The people make the company.

Cons

No noteworthy negatives to comment on

Sales Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nutley, NJ

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Finally shifting into a more 21st Century office culture: casual Fridays (wow)

Cons

* Company solely focuses on sales teams. All other departments in organization are short changed (both monetarily and level of importance) and most of the time disregarded and blamed for lost business.
    * Working from home is NOT an option. Ever.
    * NAM spends so much $$$ trying to impress potential future employees (who are still in college) instead of paying current non-sales employees the salaries they deserve.

11. Great company to work at right out of college

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great experience from working with high profile CPG and retail companies.
    -Depending on your territory, there is opportunity to travel for client meetings.
    Because the industry is constantly changing and the portfolio continues to expand, there's a lot of in-house training provided to keep you updated on current trends.
    -The company recruits and brings in the best people to work with! Many of my co-workers have become my close friends.
    -Good Entry-Level starting salary
    -Opportunity to advance and take control of your career development.

Cons

-After having worked in 2 different divisions, it is obvious that there's a preferred division that takes precedence over the others because it makes the most money. If you are not in that division, you may feel overlooked and not as important.
    -Your development is directly correlated to who your manager is. Many managers are not fit to manage but the company often overlooks this issue if that particular manager can sell.
    -Due to budget constraints, the company has severely cut back in investing in their employees.
    -Salary does not change based on the city you are working in.
    -Very Corporate feel from the dress code to the office politics.

Advice to Management

-Value and invest in your employees. The little things matter.
    -Abide by the 5 operating principles better (i.e.: Open Communication)

RSS Feed </> Embed