News America Marketing Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
126 reviews filtered by
3.1
Martin Garofalo

Pros
  • opportunity to travel, good benefits, nice office (in 10 reviews)

• Pay is better than most entry-level jobs, great experience, sales development program is great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop (in 16 reviews)

• Crazy hours, no work/life balance, hours of mindless busy work, promotions based on favoritism, terrible place to work (in 5 reviews)

1. area manager

I worked at News America Marketing full-time

Pros

Home office, company car and gas,benefits at a low cost.

Cons

Poor training for a manager. Not allowed to "manage" your team for the first two to three months.

Advice to Management

Change the training program and stop micromanaging.

2. Terrible

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flexible hours was the only plus.
    O

The only plus the flexible hours.

Cons

The only plus were the flexible hours.u

Poor pay.No ,benefits healthcare vacation or sick days. Want everything from you but don't want to pay you.Raises are.a joke.Turnover rate 40%

I

Poor pay uncertain hours. Lousy. Raises. No benefits ie vacation days health benefits or sick days. Want the world but not pay the field reps.40% turnover.

Advice to Management

Better pay and offer benefits. You take care of the employees and they will in turn take care of the business.

3. Great Entry Level Sales Experience

I have been working at News America Marketing

Pros

-Exciting locations
    -Real Sales Experience
    -Access to Upper Management

Cons

-Can be high pressure environment

5. Work

I have been working at News America Marketing

Pros

Hours, good for SAHM and Retirees

Cons

Pay is low starting off and only part time

Advice to Management

Pay above min wage and make full time

6. Slave labor

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at News America Marketing

Pros

work from home 1 day per week

Cons

expect at full time field level to work very long hours for low pay.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism!

7. Management earned $1.6M result MAX CAP 50 HRS/MONTH at $12/hr to cover 100 mile InStore Rep/Merch Route for BS w exp!

Former Employee - InStore Representative/Merchandiser
    Former Employee - InStore Representative/Merchandiser

I worked at News America Marketing

Pros

+ Worked w Supervisor in Field in various capacity over multiple years
    + Road Warrior if you have a home office & love doing field work.
    + Great mini computer technology for field reporting

Cons

- Started with approx 80 hrs/ MONTH as proficiency CUT to 50 hrs CAP/month at $12/hr W2 for BS Marketing degree professional providing capital equipment (HO, vehicle, insurance) to fulfill their jobs!
    - ZERO Trickle down rewards. Management met for Annual Mtg/Hershey Team Success $1.6 M
    - Results of Top Mngmt Team Success = CUT MY HOURS TO 50 CAP/ MONTH even though I ADDED on 1.5 territory to my already 100 mile route.
    - Add on Merch projects for Altria (new name for Philip Morris & install kiosks for Western Union as our drive by loc duties.
    - Supporting GMO manufactures primarily that need coupons, displays & promotions to move products.

Advice to Management

SOLUTIONS:
    PAY EQUITY: Reps with BS degrees should be earning $200k avg/yr IC NOT under $10k W2.
    The team success of $1.7M is carried out by InStore Field workers.. Your company may have been among the first 1% top biz to win by running algorithms and cutting reducing Sales Reps to Field Staff taking no responsibility for expense of capital equipment (offices, sales vehicle, biz insurance, phone)

WRAP Field Staff vehicles with ad wraps so you can pay the capital equipment costs of insurance, and vehicle. And provide monthly pay incentives for brand exposure on field team vehicles or opt to use company fleet.

REWARD workers who save the company money by working remotely & flexibly instead of more concessions and take backs and silencing.

8. This was an ok first job out of school. However, I knew quickly I would not be at the company for too long.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

News America has a youthful atmosphere, and I met some good friends there. Hours were manageable, although I often was able to get out of the office before other teams.

Cons

There was seemingly no desire to innovate, grow, or disrupt the industry. Advertising solutions have virtually no data metrics tied to performance, which made it very hard to sell.

Advice to Management

Innovate, accept that newspapers are becoming less and less vital, and use the capital, resources, and network the company has grown to find a new direction that will allow the business to transform and prosper.

9. Good starting company, but nothing really more

I have been working at News America Marketing

Pros

You can learn a lot from many people at this company. It's good if you want to start a career in advertising (you learn a lot about the industry and are able to get good client experience)

Cons

The pros I mentioned above ride completely on who your manager is. My first manager was great; taught me a lot about the company and the industry, gave great client exposure and actually tried to develop me throughout the sales development program. My second manager was bad. She could never answer any questions I had. One of the things NAM prides itself on is the fact that everyone is supposed to start at the AC position and work their way up knowing how to train and develop the people that work under them. This was not my experience. When the answer to your questions are either "that's a question for your peers, I'm not responsible for your development in this area because I don't deal with this on a day to day basis" or "you should know this, figure it out" you know there's a problem.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on developing digital. Everything that NAM has tried on the digital front hasn't worked out the way they intended it to

10. Great place to start your career out of college

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is overall very young. I made several extremely close friends during my time at NAM, which I would say was the best thing about the company. It's a great sales training ground, and you work right off the bat with large Fortune 500 companies as your clients, so it's great for your resume. Overall it's a great place to start out of college. Pay is decent in your first year and you get in-depth experience in marketing and sales through working directly with brand managers and marketing execs.

Cons

Your experience depends greatly on who your Account Director is. Extremely 'corporate' environment, and professional work attire (blazer/blouse) is enforced. The products/industry is boring. It's hard to keep recent grads interested in the coupon and in-store point of sale advertising (super markets) industry. Also although a promotion path is technically set for you, it's difficult to get promoted in certain offices that are smaller. You often have to be willing to move to the Midwest, and it's just not realistic for many employees.

Advice to Management

Make sure rotations happen on time. It is so important that employees feel like advancement is possible - not just when an opening becomes available in the Midwest. Update systems and CRM software for more efficient order processing and less sales time wasted on 'operational jobs' .

Review dress code policy!

11. Good company to work for

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, as long as you get the work done you can work your own hours

Cons

Not enough hours, sometimes merch jobs are hard to figure out

Advice to Management

No complaints! I enjoyed working for NAM very much!