News Distribution Network

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.8

Greg Peters

Good company, good business model, clearly going somewhere

I have been working at News Distribution Network

Pros

Excellent benefits and friendly culture. Business is growing extremely fast.

Cons

Fast growth can be a curse when it comes to coping with it. Engineering practices were more in line with a small shop - lots of shooting from the hip. That said, progress was being made to improve this during my time, and I'm sure it continues today.

Don't believe the negative reviews. This is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Let me start with the non subjective items:
    - Great salary and commission structure. I've made 2x the money I made with my last company.
    - Growing company with great room for advancement
    - Best benefits (health, dental, vision) I've ever had
    - Great industry - such a fun industry to be in and NDN is the pioneers of this vertical.

Popular opinion from me and all the colleagues I work with:
    - Strong culture. This is a work hard play hard environment. People truly care about each other.
    - Great leadership. NDN has done a great job hiring people and putting them in the right seats.
    - Professional growth. I have great mentors here. Everyday I learn something. I have grown significantly since starting here.

Cons

Fast growing company and with growth there is challenges. Some people want to blame leadership for their lack of self discipline or success. If you do not like a challenge or unable to adapt to change, this isn't the place for you. The sky is the limit at NDN and more people than not have this mindset. I truly can't think of anything negative to say.

You guys are doing a great job. My only advice would be to consider implementing some simple scalable processes that provide more structure, in turn driving better accountability and a stronger culture for all the employees. Keep up the good work!

Dont waste your time and talent

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Clean bathrooms
    -Location
    -Close to the Lennox Mall
    -A few good people that are professional and work hard to get the job done
    -Free lunch and snacks
    -Macbook used in office
    -Great health coverage

Cons

-Lack of real genuine leadership across the company, business decisions change daily, projects are released without proper timelines and lack quality
    -No bonus, incentives
    -Your manager the day they hire you already has plans for your departure
    -Company lacks drive focus, everyone is watching themselves to not be thrown under the bus
    -Comapny expects you to work 24/7 even on holidays and during weekends as well
    -Unethical business practices and they wonder why partners question our products and business decisions
    -Owner and wife are never in sync and argue in front of employees

The only reason I am still at this company is because I am still searching for a job elsewhere. I am sure this review will be met with a company wide meeting to remind us not to comment on Glass Door, and if you do write a review please make sure its positive and also fluff and bluff the review.

Higher ups are full of themselves, they lack true leadership skills, communication, and dedication to their employees. 98 percent of your work force smiles, but behind the scenes gossip and talk about how they wish another company would hire them, or would've loved to have not taken the job. The talk out of the office is we dont trust your leadership, what you tell us, we all know you have bad motives. Fear is not a good motivator, and definitely isn't helping your shadiness.

Recently after a few people have left NDN either unwillingly or willingly, the company has tried to do extra activities such as a evening at a local bar, games in the office, or promoting their beer fridge (which before was off limits, per the CEO's email). We are all wondering of this is just another tactic to deceive the current employees, and try to look cool and hispter like company, and take pics and post them on GlassDoor with everyone smiling to recruit new talent.

We are also now allowed to draw on the walls!!!!!!! OMG that makes us so cool and dainty compared to other companies that have been doing it for years (insert YAWN here). How about you work harder to improve the issues the company faces, like projects not meeting partner expectations, lack of quality, and poor communication.

Also we have more Data Engineers then Google does at this time, no one truly understands why they were brought in and what they do. A few of us have noticed a few watching movies and playing games on their computers. I guess their mining for true data in those scenarios? Also any new fad that comes out that is trending we try to copy it and pretend like we were doing it since day one, heres a tip be "Original", develop your own culture listen to your employees not clueless VP's and senior management.

Place is a joke, I am currently looking to leave as soon as possible. I would avoid this place like a Taco Bell at a gas stop with a overall health score of 48 percent.

Incompetent Leadership

I worked at News Distribution Network

Pros

free snacks, beer and wine, good location, most of the entry and mid level employees are great to work with

Cons

The leadership of NDN is an absolute joke. The CSO is absent 90% of the time and when she is around she and the CEO (her husband) argue nonstop and can't make a joint decision.
    The leadership team will often implement a policy for employees and then take it away.
    There is no formal review process, no real HR, and no compensation for working overtime or going above your duties.

Grow some humility. Doing things like free beer and wine won't make up for the lack of leadership.

Not bad overall

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time

Pros

gadgets, benefits, location, snacks, coworkers

Cons

office culture still evolving, high turnover

Churn 'n Burn

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office location - Near public transit, plenty of places to walk to for lunch, nice building
    Snacks - Drinks and snacks are stocked in the break room, which has quite the view

Cons

The upper management, the CEO in particular, want 24/7 access to you in exchange for some gadgets. Nights, weekends (sunday mornings included), vacations are always fair game, regardless of the actual business importance.

The CEO and upper management are focused on perception over actual substance.

During my time there the HR office was run by one person and she was primarily engaged in recruiting new people, not dealing with the terrible office culture.

More than 10% of the people in the main office either quit or were walked out during my time there.

The company is too busy being busy to do things right.

Great place for engineers that want to work on and solve hard problems.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NDN is a great place to work for engineers whom want to be challenged and work on new, cutting-edge technologies.

In a unique position to define an industry.
    Greenfield R&D and projects.
    Get to work on and solve real engineering problems (high concurrency, big data, machine learning/NLP, etc…).
    Senior management that understands technology and will be your advocate.
    Your hard work is recognized.

Cons

Typical growing pangs of a small company experiencing rapid growth. It comes with the territory.

Stay focused and keep driving.

Too much disorganization to mention in one review

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time

Pros

1) Great co workers who work hard
    2) Beer fridge however you must watch who notices that you are having a drink
    3) Plenty of junk food
    4) Redbull

Cons

There is so much to mention. I almost do not know where to start. Besides the total lack of organization and leadership, this seems like a great company. I think they have a lot of great ideas but fail on execution almost every time because of poor planning or trying to rush the product out the door. They thrive on quantity instead of quality.

Besides the poor management style, the turnover rate is very high. They claim that this is because of all the fresh talent they bring in straight out college. This is not the case though. This office does not believe in mentoring/coaching/improving an employee. If you are out of line in any way, you will be walked out in a short time. If you do say something that attempts to rock the boat in any way, you will be walked out in a short time.

In the last 3 months, almost 10% of the employees have been let go and instead of addressing it to the employees, management just brushes it under the rug. How can anyone feel confident about their job here when we see people getting walked out and we know they worked hard for the company also.

Now lets talk about the favoritism. They run a tight shop with only the people they need working there. However certain people are given more privilege than others. It is very obvious and everyone speaks about it in the hallways, but never mentions it to management because they know that their job tenure will be limited after that conversation.

If all of that has not steered you clear of this company, then the working environment should. You have to sit at tables. Yes, I said tables. It is called an open floor plan however it is a horrible way to work.

That’s it. I am finished posting an honest review of what it is like working at NDN. Can someone from HR please post a positive review?

Do not lie to your employees. Do not say you have an open door policy with all the closed door meetings.

NDN is an illustrious example of gross incompetence.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NDN is seemingly a thriving corporate metropolis in the digital market, and upon first glance, the benefits of being an NDN employee are astounding. You are given access to a wealth of gadgetry, fully paid benefits, and enough snacks to happily feed the state of Mississippi for a calendar year. As a whole, the office is filled with young people harboring some big personalities, which makes going to work every day less of a challenge. The "pros" to working at NDN are powerful and manipulative. It is undeniable that NDN offers exceptional medical benefits given today's standards, but that does not in any way compensate for the egregious underpayment of hardworking employees. Accepting employment at NDN means committing fully to a non-traditional schedule. However, in house recruiters will dispel this 24/7 mentality to prospects.

Cons

NDN pushes out products that are not ready for market consumption. Upper management expect Account Managers to continually comfort partners (read: clients) through the growing pains of rushed development. Development schedules are rarely on track, but the communication between the product developers and the Account Management team is so disrupted that little information trickles down to the support staff. The prevalence of grossly inappropriate office conduct is overwhelming. The lack of industry knowledge (read: journalist integrity, basic media law, and copyright infringement) among the account management team is astounding. Upper management chose the path of greatest resistance when they chose to sprint through the growing pains of a new business. The NDN model is decidedly brilliant, but the uneducated sales force and the dysfunctional product line could cripple any further exponential growth. Perhaps most importantly, I should emphasize the lack of fair compensation. NDN bills their compensation as highly competitive, but upon further review, that is simply untrue. Finally, NDN's HR practices are laughable. The "department" is entirely corrupt. When discussing or sharing private thoughts with an NDN HR representative, you should assume the integrity of the conversation will not be held in high regard, and more often than not, the conversation is in no way private. There is no doubt in my mind that the aggressively positive reviews of NDN were posted by HR representatives and upper management in an attempt to quell growing distaste for the looming toxicity they call office culture.

You're obviously interested in building a business to sell it, so DO IT.

Horrible place to work.. Seek employment elsewhere.

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good gear, casual dress, compelling industry segment.

Cons

Where to begin..
    -Senior Management: Ethically bankrupt at the top. Nepotism reigns supreme. Horrific "HR" practices. Monster name dropping egos.
    -24/7 expectations without the pay.
    -Alarmingly active churn of employees.
    -Complete lack of meaningful culture.
    -Meaningless meetings.

I'd bet my last nickel that the last few reviews here were written by NDN management as damage control to bury all the negative reviews. This place is truly toxic..

Sell