News International

Updated November 27, 2014
Updated November 27, 2014
2.7

Thomas (Tom) Mockridge

Great place to build a career in journalism

I worked at News International full-time

Pros

News International's journalistic opportunities are wider and deeper than at any other equivalent group, and it's a great place to work and develop.

Cons

The UK newspaper industry is not what it once was and this is something to bear in mind when considering a career in the media.

Toxic. Poisoned. Going to the dogs, rapidly

Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at News International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

OK pay, onsite canteen which is part-subsidised but otherwise not much to write home about.

Cons

Ineffective and blind management with a very poor, outdated style. Some managers are fair and considerate, others are straight out of Horrible Bosses - they will systematically single you out, micromanage you, belittle or intimidate you in front of your colleagues and will try to own every single second of your time at work.

There is obvious and evident favouritism with family friends suddenly being hired for roles that were never made known, while some managers will ultimately lie through their back teeth and will happily spread lies and rumours to grease their own wheels.

Some slimy, insipid and truly heartless characters have ruined what was a good, albeit tarnished workplace.

Get the wool out from over your eyes and listen to the small people, the ones that do 90% of the work day to day and that actually count.

Great place to work in Technology

Current Employee - Head In IT Department in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head In IT Department in London, England (UK)

I have been working at News International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Technology has really moved ahead at News International in the last few years. Great environment to work in and leading the industry forward.

The company has gone through it's fair share of trouble but believe that it is coming through this now with increasing digital sales, and deals such as the new Premier League one just signed.

Cons

Fast pace - if you don't like to be held accountable and to work hard then don't work heree

Don't lose focus on transformation in our industry

Awful place, avoid at all costs

I have been working at News International full-time

Pros

Well known brands looks good on CV

Cons

Totally disorganised and lack of clear vision. People have no idea how to work together with each different team working in silos. My job involves working across different teams - as the saying goes no man can please two masters, or in my case 10+, so regularly told off/shouted at by different people for doing what has been asked of me by someone else. Working here I can see how and why phone hacking took place as some of the people are ruthless. They're cutting staff to the bone so a lot of people very demotivated, makes my job doubly hard. Finally HR are a bunch of beards. They care not a jot for the welfare of staff - closing down a paper and firing a load of staff with one week's notice is just the tip of the iceberg. I know plenty of people who have been bullied out of their jobs and HR have either stood by twiddling their thumbs or assisted management in doing so.

Do not work here is my advice to anyone who is offered a role. To management I would say you need to seriously get a grip and examine the culture.

Toxic environment with disheartened staff

I have been working at News International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people who want to succeed

Cons

No one wants to be there
    Old school attitude at the top

Leave

Good, but could be better

Former Employee - Reporter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Reporter in London, England (UK)

I worked at News International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, with lots of different titles there's alot of room for progression and career growth.
    Onsite catering when I was there - which is cheap and good.
    Quite flexible working hours.

Cons

When things go wrong, those at the bottom of the pile are first to suffer.
    Company seems happy to keep majority of staff on temporary contacts which I guess makes it easier/cheaper when they're making redundacies.

Top heavy organisation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at News International

Pros

Power of the individual brands and access to colleagues in News Corp around the world. Compared to other newspaper groups pay is good.

Cons

Very top heavy organisation. They seem to continually hire top executives while simultaneously making operational cuts. All the execs tend to pull in different directions without a clear strategy.

They should introduce more middle managers - who are aware of the workflows of individuals, and decrease the number of high level execs.

Great training ground, not clear that it's a great place to work long-term (if you're ambitious)

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at News International

Pros

Fun, talented people, well known brands

Cons

Lack of process and focus on the part of senior management, lack of realism

Have clearer and more unified objectives across the business