NewsMax Media

Chris Ruddy

You Get What You Put In

Former Employee - Media Specialist in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at NewsMax Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, smart people working for a fast growing company with relatively high exposure. Opportunities to expand what and grow are abundant for those that look for them. Tie yourself to revenue and you will see your salary grow exponentially.

Cons

Far and away the most bizarre management team I've ever worked for.

There's way too much rumor-mongering as a result of their being no top-down communication. Encourage cross-department communication as much as possible.

Traffic/Programming Manager Interview

Current Employee - Traffic/Programming Manager in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Traffic/Programming Manager in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at NewsMax Media full-time

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Severely overcrowded and understaffed. In the Boynton facility everyone is practically sitting on top of each other. It's beyond a fish bowl. Complete lack of management or organization. Many of the roles are ill defined or undefined. People are doing the work of 2-3 people. They are operating in desperation mode. Was told by a former technical employee that NONE of the technical employees have benefits. No support by management of employees and high turnover. Benefits are mediocre at best.

You need to get organized IMMEDIATELY. The station needs a GM and department heads. You need to treat your employees better and have a higher level of compensation to attract and retain better employees.

Great Opportunity for Freelance Writers

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at NewsMax Media as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent freelance pay. Great national exposure. Good editors who listen to suggestions and who consider pitches and ideas promptly. Offer great feedback.

Cons

Strict deadlines. Of course this is needed in the news business. If you're detail oriented, you'll love the tight turnarounds. If you're prone to lollygagging, this isn't for you.

Keep up the good work!

Terrible workplace

Former Employee - Information Technology in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Information Technology in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at NewsMax Media as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros for this company to mention.

Cons

I accepted the job as I thought it was a great media company. After I joined only I realized that I did a big mistake. No collaboration, no formal training, no culture, no respect basically. There were some employees who ran away from this company without even informing to managers. So you can imagine how terrible place is this? Finally I resigned by giving a week in advance notice thought this is not the right place to settle. I found my next job within no time and with more compensation and lots of flexibility. Accept/stick to job here if you do not have one to survive but better have back up plans as some people here are terribly insane and they lay you off or fire you even after you resign by giving in advance notice. The manager just do that as he don't want anyone run away by pointing their blunders rather he take pleasure in laying them off. So beware!!!!!!

Time for spring cleaning. Lots and lots of mess.

Really nice place to work, free snacks, not much growing potential.

Current Employee - Web Developer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Web Developer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at NewsMax Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really nice people to work with, free snacks, good salary and benefits. If you want to work at a nice slow paced place then this is your best bet.

Cons

No growth potential, weak management and lack of technology knowledge.

Get to know your employees! There are some people that are insanely brilliant and you are just holding them off.

Never Again

Former Employee - Web Editor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Web Editor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at NewsMax Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Unless you are in the good graces of the boss, no reason whatsoever.

Cons

The place is a lunatic asylum, run by a fake with an oversized ego who has duped a generation. An evil genius.

On the way up

I have been working at NewsMax Media

Pros

Great opportunities, some really dedicated, friendly staff. The company is in an exciting period of growth as it expands into television. Now is the time to join for swift career advancement.

Cons

The over lapping departments creates hierarchy issues that lead to mistakes and finger pointing. Many valuable employees have fallen on their swords due to weak upper management.

Create a hierarchy and enforce it. Don't rely on a 'We're all a part of the same team' attitude if you want to see results.

Good place to work temporarily

I worked at NewsMax Media full-time

Pros

Talented people on staff, you can learn a lot from. Great for networking.

Cons

Poor management. Little opportunities to climb the ranks. You're here today, gone tomorrow. Lots of turnover. If you have the chance to work here- feel free to take it...but be ready with a back up plan.

Take the suggestions and opinions of your staff seriously. They work hard and are experts in their given fields. Just because you may not agree, it doesn't mean they are wrong and incompetent.

A challenging though fulfilling place to work.

I worked at NewsMax Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I found Newsmax to be an exciting, rapidly growing company. Senior staff are professional and friendly. In fact, while the rest of the country was floundering during the economic crisis, Newsmax was growing in leaps and bounds. They are very marketing focused. I was impressed that almost all senior managers were promoted from within the ranks of the company. They tend to pay at the upper end of the scale, whatever type of job you have. The office is quiet because everyone is busy. I have worked at other Florida companies, this one is focused. Also they seem to care about staff. Several annual parties and during work day staff gets free snacks, soda, coffee. Medical coverage is good, despite the current turmoil in the era of Obamacare.

Cons

Offices will be consolidating at a new location; relocating will initially cause some minor inconvenience. Other than that, it’s a great place to work.

Keep it up!

A company on the move

I have been working at NewsMax Media full-time

Pros

Great staff. The CEO hires the brightest people in the business

Cons

I really don't have any

micro management can get in the way of productivity from time to time