Newsday

Add Photos

Terry A. Jimenez

Wonderful people - Interesting culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTerrific people to work with and a broad range of positions make it a very exciting place to work.

ConsMany changes in recent years have made staying there a challenge. Still good benefits despite leaner economy and not a growth industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more team spirit. You will get more productivity.

Newsday is not what it once was, but it's still pretty decent

Writer (Current Employee) Melville, NY

ProsAwesome tradition and resources, fair compensation, smart people, good exposure

ConsNot concentrating on doing amazing journalism or cutting edge opinion, everyone is just trying to survive
    Brutally bad website design and functionality
    No news sense on web team at all

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about being awesome, lose the cowardice and fear
    promote your best products and best people

Collating/Production

Collator (Current Employee) Melville, NY

ProsThe entry pay is great for part-time work and a raise is given every year you work there. It is an easy job to retain for a long time as long as you are a productive worker.

ConsThey aren't very flexible in terms of choosing your schedule. Our union isn't very strong and I have heard that employees who have been there for years were forced to take pay cuts in the past. Very LOUD work environment. The job is pretty repetitive with no real change unless you are trained to drive one of the PIT's.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

run, don't walk

Sales (Former Employee)

Proswell known paper, everyone will see you

Conshorrible management, especially one person in particular
    horrible HR department

No job security

Assistant (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsLocation, on site (dirty) cafeteria

ConsLack of communication, management plays favorites, no perks, dirty building

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find and nurture the real talent in the office, rather than who makes a good drinking buddy.

chaotic disfunction at its finest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriends & family rate on home delivery

Consturnstyle executive management
    'old boys' club
    random layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementNew ideas won't kill you - they could actually help save the dying generation of newspaper readers. Maybe if some of the senior executives actually LIVED on long island, they would have a better appreciation for the paper and it's employees. hold people accountable, stop the finger pointing and get it done.

Stay Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe medical benefits are ok, you do receive free cable. Vacation and PTO days are accumulative, about 15 days in total.

ConsManagement places an unreasonable amount of pressure to their salespeople. You are constantly required to bring in new business. The feeling of being fired at any time is the overall feeling of their sales team. No stability in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop placing an unreasonable amount of pressure on salespeople. Lead by example.

Job overall was not up to par

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsDid go out of the way to help if needed.

ConsUnfair promotion and job switching policies Training manager was unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementTests for switching jobs should apply for that job. Tests should not be required for switching for current employees.

It's a good place to learn.

Internet News Manager (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsThey have a large and smart team, so you can learn from you co-workers. They also have pretty solid benefits, including perks like sending their team members to annual conferences or allow them to get additional training outside of work.

ConsTheir web team has a high turnover rate, because they are competing with NYC newsrooms. The commute, if you live in the city to Long Island, can be a bear.

Downward spiral over the past 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, whats left of them anyway. Good products

ConsUpper management is absolutely clueless, like the blind leading the blind. We don't get the same benefits as our parent company Cablevision. Benefits are ok at most. No growth opportunities, internal application process is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to start mentoring and grooming you're best employees if you want them to stick around. COMMUNICATE!!!!!

Worked for Newsday? Contribute to the Community!