Newspaper Services of America

Newspaper Services of America Reviews

2.5

David Walker
1 Rating

nice people but could've been much better

I worked at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

nice people to work with who do the best they can with what they have to work with

Cons

no leadership or clear direction from upper management

Specializing in a medium that's shrinking, it seems that the agency should be doing something to capture more business/accounts... improving systems, rewarding people better... or else there can only be a downward spiral of fear, apathy, and loss of business

Good Benefits, Low Pay--Good for a job, not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

As the title suggests, there are good benefits--great health, medical, dental, good PTO (always had extra time at the end of the year). Good place if you want to come in, clock hours and head home. Don't screw up and you'll be okay.

Cons

This company lives in the 90s. Excel dominates everything. Tools are out of date. Corporate structure, with a feeling of "put in your time to move forward." Things are starting to change for the better, but they've got a long way to go.

Unfortunately, middle management is really good at what this company did so well 10 years ago. There is not a structure to train the middle managers to get them where the company needs to go, much less front-line employees. Talent is therefore pulled in from the outside, leaving employees feeling like they're not appreciated. I think eventually if the company gets turned around it could be great again, but with the downfall in newspaper advertising major changes have to take place.

Even if people are still working in newspapers, stop treating them like they're less important than those working in local, multi-media planning. Some of your best talent is there, but they have to look externally to keep moving forward in their careers.

Fresh out of college job ONLY

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

Good beginning experience for someone fresh out of college.

Cons

Promotion & Compensation. You don't get paid well.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

Over all great company to work for with good benefits, perks, casual dress environment, room for growth, good training structure depending on the department you work in.

Cons

Some departments training structure is not as good as other departments.

n/a

Decent job overall with very good benefits but very low pay.

Former Employee - Auditor  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

-Solid Benefits w/ Lots of PTO (19 days starting)
    -Summer hours and more paid holidays than many companies
    -In my experience, a good work environment with friendly people
    -Decent job right out of college to get some experience in an office environment
    -The building amenities are very nice

Cons

-Very low pay that does not scale up at all. I only worked here 1 year but talking to other employees, I know the last 3 annual raises were 0% (2009), 1% (2010), 1% (2011).
    -We had furlough days at the end of 2009 (5 days), and end of 2010 (2 days)
    -Worked mandatory overtime basically entire year I was there, decreased from 2 1/2 hrs a week to 1 1/2 hrs every other week over that time.
    -There are no incentives to do better/more than required.
    -There are very few opportunities to advance within the company. They do not post jobs internally very often. I was interested in making a switch to a different department before I left and they hired maybe 3-4 people in that position externally in the few months before I left.

The best employees will not stay there long term because they are grossly underpaid and there are not good career opportunities. I can't imagine working somewhere for 3+ years and making almost the exact same amount of money as when I started (which is already on the low end). They need to make more of an effort to promote from within and allow lateral moves between departments.

If you can deal with the weak pay, it's a pretty okay place to work...

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

I've never felt overly burdened by the workload at NSA. Co-workers are all young and generally very helpful and supportive. The actual work can be interesting if you're into market analysis on a nationwide level.

Easy-going work environment
    Summer hours!

Cons

Employees are clearly underpaid which I imagine must lead to some pretty significant turnover. This is the only major problem I have with the job, but it's enough to keep me looking for other jobs while I'm there. It is very clearly an entry-level job for recent college graduates who are still trying to figure out a career path, as I can't imagine too many people here are intent on sticking around for horribly long.

I would say the obvious "pay your analysts more" but they clearly have a system worked out where the analysts get enough done without that issue lingering too strongly.

ATTN: College Grads! Don't work here. Please no one work here! It's not worth it.

Current Employee - Media Placement Coordinator  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Media Placement Coordinator in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

The only good thing about this place is that you get 19 days off per year and summer hours every other Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You work til one pm then leave. Jeans everyday.

Cons

They start college grads at 26-28k per year and if you have prior experience, you get a whopping 32k a year. This is not some big time marketing agency. All you do is talk to newspapers all day and create excel spreadsheets that no one wants to train you on. If you ask questions, they get mad. If you want to advance to a Senior Media Placement coordinator position you get a whopping 1200 a year raise and enough stress to decrease your life span by at least 12 years. Hey but your are still getting 100 bucks per year for each year of your life that you will lose. Middle management is very condescending. They treat people like crap. There is very little or no training. No one cares if the work gets done. All you hear from the various supervisors is that they don't have time to help you=they don't care if you don't know what you are doing. The media placement team is a revolving door. Over a period of 4 months there have been at least 8 resignations and more are coming. This is on a team of about 30 Media Placement Coordinators, so you figure a 30% turnover.

This company sucks!

A great vision but lacking in leadership execution.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

NSA Media provides decent paid time off and relatively good benefits. It is a good place if you can socially navigate well.

Cons

Unfortunately, leadership has the ideas for the future but is lacking in leadership. The "troops" have low morale but leadership is too focused on the ideas and plans they have that could possibly put this company in the forefront. Pay is extremely low. Culture is so ingrained for many individuals they can't see the modern times pass by them, and many in the company are afraid of new ideas and new talent.

Take a look at your employees and truly try to evaluate their dissatisfaction. This unfortunately started out as a "job" for many people rather than a place they can make their career, and a majority of people don't see a way to make a career out of working here. Beef up rewards for good work and get rid of the bad apples. TALK to everyone (in person, not through e-mail) when bad things happen, not just when good things happen.

TERRIBLE COMPANY! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

The paid time off is good, and the office is in a good location with easy interstate and highway access, but not much else.

Cons

This is a terrible place to work! The pay is atrocious! There is no opportunity for viable advancement. The difference in pay between position levels is minimal; more responsibility, yet no reward for your extra efforts. Eventually, you reach as far as you can and you will never move up. Moving up all depends on people leaving the company, and the people that are in the higher positions, seldom leave. However, most wish they would. The management is terrible! There are a handful of supervisors that are great, but the majority of them are incompetent and care nothing about the people under them. We have had 3 CEOs in 3 years and moral is at an all-time low! They continue to take and take from their employees, but rarely give back. Don’t expect any bonuses or comp time for your hard work. Raises, if you get them, are a joke. They don’t even cover a cost of living increase. Since I’ve been here, the majority of the years, our raise is taken away by furloughs. They are constantly changing their vision, so we have no idea what is going on, as employees. If you are in good with the right people, you may be successful, for this company’s standards, but if you don’t like kissing ass to boost these people’s egos, don’t plan on moving up anywhere. The turnover rate for the lower level positions is extremely high! Now that jobs are opening up elsewhere, people are getting the hell out of here! The majority of the people here are rude, and would just assume ignore you when you walk past them in the hallway, as opposed to saying hi, or even smiling and making a small effort to be a good colleague. If you want a job with a paycheck, this is the place for you. If you want a career and financial success, STAY AWAY!

Treat your employees with respect. They are not stupid, like you think they are. You have so much hidden talent that you have ignored. Utilize it! Also, reward people for their hard work, and pay them what they deserve!

The pay is an absolute joke. Its not worth all the hard work for a meager raise and added stress

I have been working at Newspaper Services of America

Pros

-The co workers are GREAT and are willing to help.
    -The time off is good
    -Benefits are decent.
    -Summer hours are nice
    -In this economy, any job is good

Cons

The pay: The workers at Starbucks make more than I do. There are some people here working two jobs just to get by. There are some really smart people here who are not getting what they are worth. I can't wait until the economy turns around so I can leave this place and make what I am worth.

Motivation (lack there of): I see nothing that will make me want to work harder. They've already cut my pay.

Sooo boring: I'm sitting at a computer ALL day. I can feel myself getting fatter (so many people are here)

Advancement: First, you have to pass a test which is so strictly graded that you will probably have to take it twice. When you do pass it, you have to pray that a position opens up. When that happens, its pretty much how much you have kissed ass. All the people who truly deserve the promotion get shafted because they are too valuable where they are and the company would not be the same with all of them on a different team. I swear this company takes advantage of all the smart workers and makes them stay in their current position until they quit (which they eventually will when they realize what is happening)

Executives: Don't really care about them too much, because I don't feel that they truly care about me. I had a meeting with them during my training which was rescheduled so many times that I ignored the meeting request because I knew accepting it would be pointless.

Get with the times. Newspapers are on decline and will NEVER get back to what it used to be.

Pay your employees what they are worth, especially the analysts. $30,000 for the amount of work we do. You have got to be kidding me.

Worked for Newspaper Services of America? Contribute to the Community!