Newsweek Daily Beast
www.dailybeast.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Newsweek Daily Beast Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
Newsweek Daily Beast – US – “cube”

Baba Shetty

This company no longer exists - See "Daily Beast" or "Newsweek" for reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Daily Beast and Newsweek parted ways towards the end of 2013. The Daily Beast functions more like an start up with lean operations, a motivated team of reporters, and a strong digital focus. Newsweek is more print focused and has recently put the magazine back into print.

ConsThere was a lot of uncertainty for awhile, but it seems like things have leveled out at this point. The reporting at The Daily Beast is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't think of anything.

Hard-working group in a tech atmosphere

New York, NY

ProsThe Daily Beast is innovative, filled with smart people, and backed by IAC's deep pockets. Daily Beast has secured some bold names in journalism, as well as up-and-comers.

ConsI was with the Daily Beast and Newsweek when Newsweek was still in print. Newsweek was struggling and it was sad to see it stop being printed.

Freelance Stylist

Freelance Stylist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsProfessional teamwork, along with a inspiring atmosphere @ Newsweek DailyBeast

ConsI found nothing to be a "con" while freelancing @ Newsweek

Advice to Senior Managementnone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gloom and Doom

ProsFaced paced environment you can learn a lot in. Everyone has plenty to do and you are busy.

ConsThe company is unstable. You never know what to expect next.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray

Creative dynamic news company

New York, NY

ProsAlways seeking to do things differently, cool building, best free snacks/drink offering I've ever seen, very reasonable hours.

ConsLow pay; under-utilized for my level of experience at the time; lack of direct report for my department.

The company's management is being unfair to workers and the union is not helping.

New York, NY

ProsYoung staff, very challenging workload with lots of opportunity and visibility if you are creating content and want to be published.

ConsSmall staff means many people are doing several jobs. In an attempt to cut costs they keep laying off people and not hiring new staff. The conscientious, good workers burn out quickly. Particularly for those producing the website and ipad—the hours are brutal—the website is updated 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so stingy on the staffing and offer training and opportunities to advance.

Good to learn, slow to move.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs the company looks to position itself, there is tremendous opportunity to learn. The company offers a great perspective of history and newness that can only be captured through the fusion of both cultures.

ConsManagement is not as open minded as one might hope at a company that claims to still be in an entrepreneurial phase. Management also seeks friendship at times above productivity and performance.

Reporter-Researcher

New York, NY

ProsNewsweek provides a creative atmosphere where you work with a lot of nice people. It once was an excellent place to work where many employees would stay for 20 or 30 years. The name still helps get you access to sources that many other publications couldn't.

ConsThe merger with the Daily Beast was a poor fit and most of the great parts of the Newsweek culture were lost when the place became the Newsweek Daily Beast company (often nicknamed NewsBeast). The overall atmosphere is very strained because most of the staff knows the company is not turning a profit and many fear the place won't be around long. The most recent rash of layoffs only added to the insecurity. The future of the digital-only version of the magazine is very uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to become more organized and communicate better with staff.

Work from home option, but no career growth potential

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsManager gave us one day a week to work from home, regardless if you have kids or not. Open door policy to speak to senior management was nice.

ConsPromoting from within doesn't happen very often. Management likes to keep you where you are. No growth plan for development.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to develop growth plan for employees to retain employees.

So-So

Associate Editor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWorking in a Frank Gehry building. Free snacks and drinks.

ConsOdd hours. Staff not well integrated.

Worked for Newsweek Daily Beast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newsweek Daily Beast reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newsweek Daily Beast CEO Baba Shetty . All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Newsweek Daily Beast employees.