Newtek Business Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Newtek Business Services Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Barry Sloane

Barry Sloane

Great learning and growth positions for most, career positions for few, CEO is a poor leader but means well

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNewtek is involved in a bunch of industries, so there are many opportunities for you to learn. Most in management are very open to feedback. The office is casual and has free soda, water, coffee and tea, though there are rumors the drinks are going away. Most managers care about the company and the people they manage. Many people move up the ranks and even switch departments, but formal advancement training is not offered. For instance, no tuition reimbursement. CEO really pushes how important customers are and really wants to help them.

ConsMost departments are seriously understaffed and most people are underpaid. They require everyone get referrals, even jobs like server admin. CEO brings Republican politics into everything. Main benefits like insurance aren't that great and keep getting worse each year, and the company keeps cutting most other benefits, like pay for cell phones even for those that are expected to be on call at all times. CEO doesn't show much concern for employees and says things like we're lucky to work here. Due to this, we're always losing good people to other companies as soon as their skills are developed enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd tell the CEO to learn about the importance of your employees. Pay them more than your competitors and trust them. If we did that, we wouldn't have to worry about losing people all the time. Then, set a direction and let the great people you hire do their jobs to get you there. Don't change direction constantly. Stop running the company like a slimy sales group who is all things to all people. Right now, we are the jack of all trades and master of none. Get rid of politics and leave sales to the sales people. And did I mention pay more?

Too much nepotism

Tier I Technical Support (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe company is in a growing industry where advancement and regular pay raises should be no problem.

ConsNepotism , nepotism everywhere. While the company SHOULD be giving raises after the 90 day initial period , they don't. Advancement is unlikely unless you are family or buddy buddy with the management family. Yes, I mean management family , several supervisors we family members of each other . Advancement of other family members that are less deserving of positions happens here a LOT.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the family members and management that encourages it. The bias atmosphere in this place is like a stench.

Minor League Feeder

Marketing (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat company to start at. Cut your teeth in tech, business, insurance and lending. Ability to hone your skills and grow experience.

ConsPromotions are given in title only. They throw VP around like its important. When there's 35 VP's in the building you know something is a little off. They WON'T pay to keep talent. They run a next man/woman up type of business. They lose top young talent to larger companies weekly. Especially in their tech division.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay to keep your talent around. This will help your business grow and eliminate your current stagnant course...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My foot in the door for my desired career!

Software Developer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNewtek gave me the break I was looking for in advancing my career. After spending some time in the tech support "trenches," I was promoted to development (a position I had wanted for years), along with a salary increase to match. I've had nothing to complain about since and I absolutely love it here. The team here is fantastic and incredibly helpful. There's something different to work on almost every day, and something new to learn just as often. I've also seen several other coworkers get promoted from tech support to other departments like server operations or network operations.

ConsTech support is almost invariably the starting point for everyone here, which seems to be largely a thankless job in general. I spent several years in tech support before coming to Newtek, so after the "new job smell" wore off, it could get rough doing the same thing every day.

Its a Job or a Career but you have to put the effort to make it a Career.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsMost of the departments have good people and will say hi to you in the break room and walking past you in the halls. Some of theme I have worked with in the past at a couple other hosting companies, not in my department though.

I have worked with Newtek as a contractor and as an employee.
    Because of where I live I get to actually work remote part of my time which really allows me to be more productive and lets me juggle life and work easier. (I live over 50 miles one way away from NewTek).
    As a contractor I never had an issue being paid and sometimes would let me submit my invoice a little late to add on a couple extra items I was waiting on.

As an employee I get benefits, they have 401k, medical, and dental so that was a major plus to me.

If I need to take 10 minutes to vent about an issue I know I can go to the person above me and do it. Here in dev we are very team oriented if one person needs help they know they can ask any of the other people in their area to help and if they can they will.

Right now I am working on new development most of the time and then every now and then I help out on existing systems. The new Development is great for me because typically there is a push for it sooner rather than later which is how I am used to working.

This is a pro and a con so I will list it in both. Because of working in Contract for so long I am used to have to have a fast turn around and be more focused on how fast I can turn around a project then what might be the best way to get a project done. Here things can go at a more reasonable pace and things can be thought about and implemented, which can lead to some days feeling longer than others which is why its a con but lets you feel like your giving a more quality product which is the pro. Plus part of the call center feel bleeds over and I used to work in a call center as a phone agent for 2 other companies. So that atmosphere can be a bit stressful unless your used to a environment where you know you have certain metrics that you need to satisfy on a daily and monthly bases, and lead me to want to go faster to help make sure I am meeting with metrics.

Unlike some of my other call center experiences or working as a contractor for other companies, People here are willing to work with you to help you meet your metrics.

Newtek as a whole has different departments and is made up of several different companies. So you may start off as a tech on the phone but you have a degree in software engineer the company will try to hire internally before externally. One of the people in dev was on the phones and is now a developer. I am sure there are career paths that people could take to grow with different parts of the company, after you work for the company for so long. This could be the biggest pro.

ConsSometimes there has been gaps in projects so being product 100% of the time has been an issue sometimes.

The overall place is still a call center so you still have that call center feel when you walk out onto the main floor. If people have not worked in a call center it can be a bit stressful. There are metrics to meet both on a daily bases and a monthly (typically the monthly is just the aggregated of the daily). Even thought I work in dev I still have some of that bleed from the floor. There is no way around it it is what it is. But it still take away from the environment some.

They changed the policy about bonuses after I started. So that was a bummer that I did not get a bonus however, that is all part about being in a corporate job you have to roll with the punches.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know I can go up to any of the managers and talk with them, or ask them questions if I need to. It might be beneficial to talk about different internal job opportunities there are, or have a newsletter or some kind of posting somewhere of the jobs available throughout Newtek. That could be one of the biggest pro for Newtek is you could start as a phone rep and work your way up to a developer, a VP of Business Operations, Tech Supervisor, or any other numerous job opportunities, as they become available. Those are just some of the ones local in the Q1 newsletter there was 4 promotions. What if someone here would have been better for the job but did not know about it. I just think because we are suck a large company everyone forgets about the other opportunities within Newtek but at one of the other facilities.

Stay Away

Technical Support II (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe technical support team at Newtek Technology Services are friendly people. That is really the only positive thing I can say for this company.

ConsThis company as a whole is a sinking ship. Customer service has been boiled down to a rigorous checklist the employees must hit and make employees sound robotic and forced. Management cares little about employee stress levels and continually puts more stress on the employees with 1:1 talks about performance and strict QA process. Finally, employees with a voice are either silenced or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the experience more customer centric. Additionally, you need to remember that employees are people as well, not robots, allowing them the freedom to speak with customers without a guided script is far more appealing to a customer than an elongated sales pitch in the form of a QA process.

Newtek Technology is not just a job it is a career!

Technical Support II (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI have been very happy with the direction of the company and I feel that I have a career and not just another job. Mark Denzin, Rick Minter and Jason Crawford have made many changes and promoted many of my friends to higher positions. We all feel the positive nature of the business is going in the right direction.

ConsWorkload is high and many of employees are high although manageable and training was good.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and thanks for listening

Not a good place to work, keep looking for opportunities elsewhere

ProsSomething is better than nothing until you can find something else. Good job to have if you want to stay financially stagnate.

ConsThis company is filled with hypocrisy and office politics. Senior management walks around wearing jeans while scrutinizing employees’ attire. Keep in mind the company’s dress code is business casual and no jeans. There is basically no compensation for your hard work and efforts to make the company better. Upper management tends to play favoritism to the preferred few. No one is happy there and everyone pretends things will get better but it never does. Until you find a new job. This company has a revolving door and no direction but greed. Two steps away from working in a sweat shop!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a course on how to manage effectively without ruining the moral of the company. Compensate your employees fairly for their hard work, Adhere to the rules you set.

Promised Bonus, Never Delivered.

ProsGreat group of coworkers, friendly and fun people.

ConsPromised an end-of-year bonus, that I was counting on for something very important... It just never came. We are not allowed to inquire or talk about it due to strict rules prohibiting that sort of thing, so I am just left wondering if it's ever coming. They lied in the original hiring process saying, bonuses were paid twice a year. Then it changed to once a year, and now it seems to be never. How could upper management think these are okay practices. I am under paid for my role in the company, and was really counting on this bonus as part of my salary. I have been there well over a year and have never received a raise. HR needs to get on it or they are going to end up with problems on their hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees' hard work, and compensate them accordingly.

Great Launchpad into the world of Supporting Hosting

Tech Agent (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsMost of my fellow employees were awesome and made the job lots of fun. There are some truly outstanding individuals that work here that made my time worth it.

Has a small company feel, which some people like.

ConsIn a word "MANAGEMENT". In the small time I was there our 'manager' changed at least 3 times that I can remember. Management's lack of listening to their front line and and creating ridiculous and irrelevant quality metrics that cause a number of issues. It seems as though the basically do what they want and what their "inner circle" deems worhty, not what the front line is seeing as a need. A lot of times the metrics used are completely 100% irrelevant to the actual job role.

NOTE: ** IF you think your applying for a Tech position, make sure your also ready for sales, because, they will word it many different ways, but essentially they want you to upsell, if you don't, regardless of your tech knowledge, customer service skills etc, you will be denied opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts pretty simple. Be transparent, listen to your front line employees that actual deal first hand with the customers paying your salaries. Give your managers and employees more autonomy and the ability to "own" the company because they want to, not because they are obliged.

Worked for Newtek Business Services? Contribute to the Community!