Newton Europe

Newton Europe Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Incredible company, amazing people, outstanding culture and the job provides interesting challenges

Consultant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsThe people are fantastic, there is a real buzz within Newton and I have made a number of true friends, not just colleagues. Newton is a true meritocracy, this allows you to progress as quickly as you can. Expect to take on responsibility early both in terms of leading your own parts of a project and internal Newton work, if you enjoy feeling outside of your comfort zone all then you won't be disappointed. There is a genuine focus on developing people which is backed up by high quality, extensive training and a strong support network aimed at maximising everyone's personal development.

ConsYou need to be prepared to work away from home, Monday to Friday every week. This is something that I enjoy but tends to be the thing that people find the biggest challenge. To help with this Newton enforces a 'home by 6pm on a Friday' and not working on weekends policy, this means that you can plan for and make the most out of your weekends!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture! Newton achieves so much because everyone believes in what we are doing, strives to make things happen and has a great time doing it. Keep it up.

Excellent company!

ProsI have never worked for a company so focused on its clients and people before. The people here are amazing and driven towards the company goal, we have so much fun at review nights, summer party's, Christmas party's and weekends away, the company expect a lot but in return the benefits are exceptional.

ConsHard work sometimes, extremely busy environment that's ever changing and hours can be long when under the pump

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the culture as the company grows

The most exciting and stimulating company there is!

Business Manager (Current Employee) Bath, England (UK)

ProsFor me the number one thing about Newton is the people - there is a buzz and a feeling of support whenever the company congregates that I have not encountered elsewhere. It is these very people that are driving the company forward - from delivering exceptional projects across a range of sectors, to developing all of the internal processes and tools that make the company tick.

The company has changed a lot in the seven years I have been with them and it is really exciting to think where it will be in another seven years! The drive of the founding Directors and the commitment to the company and the team with in it is inspirational.

Newton offers highly competitive remuneration which grows rapidly with your progression through the business. Promotion is based on merit - when you are ready, you will be promoted, and if you are not quite ready, you will be given the support required to develop.

ConsIt is hard work so don't expect a cosy nine-to-five job, but the hours are typically no longer than the senior team on site. The challenges are tough as well, be it a complex data set, or a defensive client - but the support network within Newton can advise, assist and train you to overcome these scenarios.

The main crux which you must be comfortable and realistic about is the lifestyle - within the first three years it is realistic to be away from home during the week (with all your expenses paid). I find this manageable and positive - even with a family at home - as the weekend are 100% my own, and you are on site with a great team of friends who are also your colleagues. Also you end up in some great parts of the world so just embrace a different place! If the lifestyle works for you, it is an amazing job, but if it doesn't, it could feel tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change the mix of people, don't change the drive you provide and keep looking for the next challenge!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Ideal graduate job for a commercially-focused scientist/ engineer (Other degrees encouraged too!)

Consultant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsFantastic people. Everyone is incredibly smart, driven and has their own unique hidden talent at which they excel.
    You are given considerable opportunities and responsibilities from the third week. The induction programme is delivered by the directors, giving everyone the opportunity to understand the company's ethos and culture right from the founders.
    The work spans a variety of sectors and gives a solid foundation for future careers across them for anyone unsure of which industry they are interested in.
    Small details include a highly comparative wage package and a company car. Additional bonuses are linked with promotion.

ConsThere is a lot of travel and you will be expected to stay away from home 4 nights each week.

A place to progress

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsHaving worked elsewhere I wish I'd joined Newton out of university - the pace at which I see junior consultants develop is quite amazing. Within 12 months Consultants are leading work streams, supporting their senior colleagues and more important adding significant value to clients. Admittedly Newton has good material to work with, recruiting based on intelligence, energy and emotional maturity, however the level of training, support, feedback and challenge offered is fantastic.
    The work we do is varied, challenging and often cutting edge helping to really change the way organisations operate.
    Management are also respectful and responsive - as an example, after a period of high demand a year or so ago the holiday policy was improved overnight to offer staff up to 5 extra days free.

ConsYou will work hard at Newton - but most people are willing to invest that effort for the returns. Having said that it doesn't need to mean working hugely long hours, you just have to be energetic and on the ball.
    Newton does have a culture and it won't be for everyone, however, most people like it and it's usually easy to judge for yourself through the recruitment process.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put growth above the company values.

Amazing company; great personal development; incredible work hard play hard culture

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsPersonal growth and development is great - this is actually the reason I left a different job at another consultancy and joined Newton; and the reality has more than met my expectations; the individual support and training you get is fantastic too; the culture is such that you have fun, build true friendships; and constantly work to improve yourself, each other and the company as a whole; anything feels possible; the benefits package is great; I could keep going...

ConsThe one and only con for me is work-life balance... everything else is incredible and makes the 'being away from home' feel worthwhile rather than a chore. The company are definitely trying to do what they can do work around this if you have young kids, but in reality if you are sent on project the other side of the country it's going to be difficult to get home mid-week. The company isn't large enough yet that you can choose/ be allocated a project based on location - but we are growing at an incredible rate; so hopefully this will get easier!

Also worth noting that Newton have a home by 6pm on a Friday policy and they stick to it - so even if work-life balance is difficult during the week, the weekends are yours, and that in itself is a lot better than other consultancies!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of the same please - let's continue to hold onto our amazing culture even as we grow and face new challenges.

Incredible company, amazing culture and early exposure to senior clients

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsI have worked for several good companies (engineering consultancy mainly) and I can say that without question this company has the best culture around. You are working with a bunch of down to earth, friendly, outgoing people that care about you and support your development. You get ownership of workstreams and projects early and are provided with countless opportunities to interact with client senior teams.

ConsAs we work for clients all round the country; you will end up working all round the country. Sometimes you will be near home which is great, but at other times you will be somewhere far away and need to live in hotels. Although you get used to it the time away limits you being able to have consistent mid week activities (meet friends; join clubs etc). Also if you have a partner it can be a challenge for them.

Incredible company - unique in the realm of consultancies

ProsGenuine potential for quick career progression; brilliant colleagues who are positive about the company's future; constantly varied and challenging work

ConsIf you don't like being away from home during the week it's not for you

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the amazing culture and dedication to fun

Great company to work for. Interesting, challenging work. Amazing people. Top benefits.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThere's a real dedication in the company to delivering genuine results for our clients, which means rolling sleeves up and working across organisations at all levels. It's hard work and sometimes long hours during the week but it's a strict company policy to be home by 6pm on Friday and weekends are your own.

The work is challenging and always interesting; I've never been bored for a minute in the year that I've been here. I find it really refreshing that everyone you work with at Newton is bright, motivated, down to earth and fun to be around.

As a company Newton go the extra mile to look after you. The salary & package are very competitive but it's all of the other bits that make the difference, be it subsidised ski trips (including contributions for partners), activity weekends (sailing, surfing, battlefield tours...) or the fortnightly review sessions were the whole company gets together on a Thursday night.

ConsThe hours can be long and I've clocked up around 24K miles on the road in a year (albeit in a new BMW 1-series company car). The flipside of the incredible development opportunities you get is that you are constantly out of your comfort zone, and getting the balance right between developing skills and keeping stress levels manageable can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementNewton is growing rapidly and the challenge for management, as it has always been, is going to be keeping the energetic, dynamic culture alive through this process.

Surround yourself with exceptionally talented, driven and fun people here!

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThere's no stopping you here. The training is excellent, you'll be running your own part of a project in no time (straight from graduate or experienced hire), the feedback culture is extensive, open and fair (giving you all the help you'll need to push yourself, while actively seeking feedback upwards, too) and the culture is incredibly fun. The company adds impressive value to its clients and there's no "small cog in a big machine" syndrome here: right from the beginning, what you do counts.

The company also runs on a growth model, so retaining its staff is key, and I'd challenge any company in the world with the social side of Newton. Everyone gets on with everyone else, and the Directors invest a huge amount of time, money, blood, sweat and tears to ensure the work hard culture is kept in check with a play harder attitude.

ConsIt's hard work. There's no denying it. And for most of the jobs, you'll need to be prepared to live away from home during the week, at least in the early years. However, since everyone's in the same boat and because of the growth model, everyone's determined to ensure you work in a sustainable manner. Quite a few of the senior guys have had some time out travelling at the 4/5 year mark and come back to drive the company on and that kind of thing is supported by the Directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture, and ensure we balance the growth of the company at a rate everyone can sustain as we become more and more in demand from our clients

Worked for Newton Europe? Contribute to the Community!