Newton Europe

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
4.4

CEO

So much better than my last firm

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Newton gives me so many opportunities professionally. So many of my close friends I met at Newton. And it has allowed me to have fun along the way. We work hard but it feels like we are a team working on meaningful engagements for clients. Clients seem to like working with us which wasn't always the case in my last firm.

Cons

The main con is the need to be out working where our clients are, which means you travel around and have nights in hotels. Lots of socialising when 'off the clock' which is amazing but tiring sometimes!

I know the management work hard to make Newton as good as possible and that Newton isn't perfect for everyone (look at comments below) but I honestly think you do the right thing most of the time and it is a really positive culture that the vast majority love. The few people that aren't happy and leave seem to be the most difficult to please and don't actually perform that well when here - I sometimes think you should be harder on the under performers rather than always support them.

Fantastic opportunity to work with amazing colleagues and make a difference for a variety of clients!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You really do get responsibility early on in your career - you will be making a difference on site to clients straight away.
    Being on site with clients means you get to meet a lot of people and have a lot of variety in your day.
    The people you work with are really interesting, intelligent and driven people.
    The review days, activity days and parties are awesome, not only for the money spent on them (we hire a beach for the summer party), but also because we are friends as well as colleagues.
    Everyone, right up to the directors, is down-to-earth and approachable.
    The experience you get at Newton will stand you in good stead to go in to many industries.

Cons

We don't work weekends, but there are some pretty intense weeks - not in terms of hours necessarily, but we are always 'on it'.
    We have to be away from home during the week - we get paid expenses, have team fun nights and enjoy being with our colleagues, but it's not the same as being at home!
    Sometimes a project ends when the results haven't come through yet as there is a lead time for the improvements to hit the shop floor, which means that it seems to us that we are leaving site suddenly and we aren't always there to see the results, which isn't as rewarding.
    If it is decided in your recruitment process that you will be hired as a graduate, it's very hard, if not impossible, to be promoted significantly 'ahead of the curve', no matter what they say in the recruitment presentation - people get promoted at 6 months in (if you are decided to be an experienced hire) or 19-22 months in (the curve for a graduate) - nobody gets promoted in between the two.

Don't lose the culture as we get bigger - we're starting to feel much more 'corporate', which apart from anything else, doesn't really fit in with the senior team!
    It's great that you're focusing so much on recruitment, particularly to senior/lead level, but be careful not to forget to focus on retaining the people you have already! Already senior people seem very distant from the stresses & pressures of what it is like to be a consultant on a current project - remember they are larger both financially and in terms of the number of stakeholders than when you were at our level.

I genuinely look forward to getting up and going to work in the morning

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is diverse, exciting, constantly evolving and never gets dull. There are always new challenges to overcome, and the opportunities to develop and progress your career will never cease. The company is full of talented, hard-working individuals, who are extremely motivated to support each other and work together for the good of the company. The culture and social interaction with the rest of the company is brilliant, with everyone getting together once a fortnight, and two epic parties a year.

Cons

You must be prepared to travel around the UK, living in hotels for 4 nights of the week, which could be anywhere in the country. You need to be able to drive, and may need to cover quite a lot of miles in your first few years. Currently the gender balance is quite biased towards men, but this is improving.

A spectacular organiastion, I am now working with the most impressive group of people I have ever come across

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Projects are fascinating and challenging, the people live the vibrant culture and the management really do empower their staff at early stages of their careers. Training is in abundance and there is a very open structure with many routes to providing great communication flow.

Cons

As with all consultancies the lifestyle of a consultant has to be taken into account, but there are many advantages of Newton that make this appear insignificant.

Excellent company!

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for a company so focused on its clients and people before. The people here are amazing and driven towards the company goal, we have so much fun at review nights, summer party's, Christmas party's and weekends away, the company expect a lot but in return the benefits are exceptional.

Cons

Hard work sometimes, extremely busy environment that's ever changing and hours can be long when under the pump

Don't lose sight of the culture as the company grows

Incredible company, amazing people, outstanding culture and the job provides interesting challenges

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, there is a real buzz within Newton and I have made a number of true friends, not just colleagues. Newton is a true meritocracy, this allows you to progress as quickly as you can. Expect to take on responsibility early both in terms of leading your own parts of a project and internal Newton work, if you enjoy feeling outside of your comfort zone all then you won't be disappointed. There is a genuine focus on developing people which is backed up by high quality, extensive training and a strong support network aimed at maximising everyone's personal development.

Cons

You need to be prepared to work away from home, Monday to Friday every week. This is something that I enjoy but tends to be the thing that people find the biggest challenge. To help with this Newton enforces a 'home by 6pm on a Friday' and not working on weekends policy, this means that you can plan for and make the most out of your weekends!

Keep the culture! Newton achieves so much because everyone believes in what we are doing, strives to make things happen and has a great time doing it. Keep it up.

Incredible company, amazing culture and early exposure to senior clients

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for several good companies (engineering consultancy mainly) and I can say that without question this company has the best culture around. You are working with a bunch of down to earth, friendly, outgoing people that care about you and support your development. You get ownership of workstreams and projects early and are provided with countless opportunities to interact with client senior teams.

Cons

As we work for clients all round the country; you will end up working all round the country. Sometimes you will be near home which is great, but at other times you will be somewhere far away and need to live in hotels. Although you get used to it the time away limits you being able to have consistent mid week activities (meet friends; join clubs etc). Also if you have a partner it can be a challenge for them.

Amazing company; great personal development; incredible work hard play hard culture

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Personal growth and development is great - this is actually the reason I left a different job at another consultancy and joined Newton; and the reality has more than met my expectations; the individual support and training you get is fantastic too; the culture is such that you have fun, build true friendships; and constantly work to improve yourself, each other and the company as a whole; anything feels possible; the benefits package is great; I could keep going...

Cons

The one and only con for me is work-life balance... everything else is incredible and makes the 'being away from home' feel worthwhile rather than a chore. The company are definitely trying to do what they can do work around this if you have young kids, but in reality if you are sent on project the other side of the country it's going to be difficult to get home mid-week. The company isn't large enough yet that you can choose/ be allocated a project based on location - but we are growing at an incredible rate; so hopefully this will get easier!

Also worth noting that Newton have a home by 6pm on a Friday policy and they stick to it - so even if work-life balance is difficult during the week, the weekends are yours, and that in itself is a lot better than other consultancies!

More of the same please - let's continue to hold onto our amazing culture even as we grow and face new challenges.

A place to progress

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Having worked elsewhere I wish I'd joined Newton out of university - the pace at which I see junior consultants develop is quite amazing. Within 12 months Consultants are leading work streams, supporting their senior colleagues and more important adding significant value to clients. Admittedly Newton has good material to work with, recruiting based on intelligence, energy and emotional maturity, however the level of training, support, feedback and challenge offered is fantastic.
    The work we do is varied, challenging and often cutting edge helping to really change the way organisations operate.
    Management are also respectful and responsive - as an example, after a period of high demand a year or so ago the holiday policy was improved overnight to offer staff up to 5 extra days free.

Cons

You will work hard at Newton - but most people are willing to invest that effort for the returns. Having said that it doesn't need to mean working hugely long hours, you just have to be energetic and on the ball.
    Newton does have a culture and it won't be for everyone, however, most people like it and it's usually easy to judge for yourself through the recruitment process.

Don't put growth above the company values.

The Ideal graduate job for a commercially-focused scientist/ engineer (Other degrees encouraged too!)

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people. Everyone is incredibly smart, driven and has their own unique hidden talent at which they excel.
    You are given considerable opportunities and responsibilities from the third week. The induction programme is delivered by the directors, giving everyone the opportunity to understand the company's ethos and culture right from the founders.
    The work spans a variety of sectors and gives a solid foundation for future careers across them for anyone unsure of which industry they are interested in.
    Small details include a highly comparative wage package and a company car. Additional bonuses are linked with promotion.

Cons

There is a lot of travel and you will be expected to stay away from home 4 nights each week.