Newton Europe Reviews

Reset
4.4
CEO

1. Featured Review

Amazing culture and non-hierarchical structure

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

If you want to work somewhere that actively encourages its staff to be engaged, contribute and be part of something really exciting then this is it. Everyone is really friendly and supportive, I've not met a single person that I haven't liked, everyone is approachable and down to earth throughout the entire company including the board of directors. The culture is great and the company works hard to keep everyone engaged, involved and rewarded.

Cons

It can be hard work and long hours with a lot of travel. But we do have a total ban on weekend work so don't get sucked into work at weekends.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture, development opportunities and training does not suffer as we continue to grow.

Working hard and playing hard is great but the cons can easily start to outweigh the pros as you get more run down

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work hard - you get pushed to your max and therefore you learn and develop very quickly, you get a lot of exposure early on

play hard - the parties are awesome, your colleagues become amazing friends

Cons

the work hard play hard culture becomes the biggest con and can start to wear you down

work hard - the constant high expectations of the people around you can become quite stressful, I regularly saw people around me being 'punished' for having an 'off day'

play hard - sometimes when you just want a quiet night, it feels like you are expected to 'perform' on a big team night out - this isn't for everyone.

both the above mean you are very regularly exhausted by the time the weekend comes around. the company does stick to the 'no work at weekends policy' which is great - but your family and/or social life will still suffer if you have to spend most the weekend catching up on sleep!

Advice to Management

hold onto the great culture but don't take it too far. The extreme work hard play hard culture is great for graduates, but the work life balance gets tiring for experienced hires that have more personal commitments at weekends

3. senior consultant

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Newton Europe

Pros

very good company to work at

Cons

the work is really stressful

Advice to Management

keep doing well

5. The ultimate personal development experience

Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being part of a rapidly growing consultancy is an amazing experience - over the past few years I have learnt a huge amount from the clients I have worked with as well as Newton's own evolution. I have always being positively stretched in the roles I have been asked to take on, challenged hard and supported as needed. Combining that with the variety of clients I have worked with across a whole range of sectors means I struggle to imagine another career where I could have developed as quickly.

Cons

Being part of Newton is addictive meaning you tend to fill more of your life with it! Many of my best 'extra-curricular' experiences have been shared with Newton people, to the extent that a whole bunch of them came to my wedding! However it is not for the feint hearted - to get the most out of it you need to really throw yourself into it and clearly this won't be suitable for everybody.

Advice to Management

So far it has been an exciting and engaging experience! As long as Newton keep aiming to have fun and be different I'm sure the next few years will be more of the same.

6. Fantastic people who challenge and support you in equal measure

Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are the standard reasons to work in a consultancy, such as the variety of work, the opportunity to learn quickly and the often good remuneration packages, but Newton has been able to offer me much more than this. Having experience first hand how different other consultancies are, I can safely say that the culture at Newton, to actually deliver results as well as looking out for those you work with, is truly unique! I'm constantly reminded about how good the people are around me and that I need to continue to improve just to keep pace.

Cons

Being exposed in your role is a risk if you aren't open to asking for support. This allows people to develop very quickly if managed in the right way, but can be extremely tough to get through if you take on too much and don't look for support. The business works hard to give people a stretching enough role, whilst providing quality development support, but some people do slip through the net.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the culture as it's the fantastic people that make the business what it is.

Always look out for yourself! No-one else will

Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Newton Europe

Pros

Very fast initial growth, pay is good, you will quickly become confident speaking to people at all different levels within an organisation, they were keen to stress that junior employees should not work at weekends, many people were able to get unpaid leave if they asked for it, top level of management are well liked and respected by everyone.

Cons

Employee development very dependent on projects and individual (often low-seniority) colleagues, allowing employees to get a relatively long way into their career without becoming better at the things they needed to do to be promoted. Many things are said to employees that aren't true in practice (e.g. importance of manufacturing to the business is actually VERY low, but majority of employees want to do those projects). Company sponsored activities to deal with difficult consulting lifestyle are heavily alcohol fuelled, which can lose its fun over time.

8. So much better than my last firm

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Newton gives me so many opportunities professionally. So many of my close friends I met at Newton. And it has allowed me to have fun along the way. We work hard but it feels like we are a team working on meaningful engagements for clients. Clients seem to like working with us which wasn't always the case in my last firm.

Cons

The main con is the need to be out working where our clients are, which means you travel around and have nights in hotels. Lots of socialising when 'off the clock' which is amazing but tiring sometimes!

Advice to Management

I know the management work hard to make Newton as good as possible and that Newton isn't perfect for everyone (look at comments below) but I honestly think you do the right thing most of the time and it is a really positive culture that the vast majority love. The few people that aren't happy and leave seem to be the most difficult to please and don't actually perform that well when here - I sometimes think you should be harder on the under performers rather than always support them.

9. Fantastic opportunity to work with amazing colleagues and make a difference for a variety of clients!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You really do get responsibility early on in your career - you will be making a difference on site to clients straight away.
    Being on site with clients means you get to meet a lot of people and have a lot of variety in your day.
    The people you work with are really interesting, intelligent and driven people.
    The review days, activity days and parties are awesome, not only for the money spent on them (we hire a beach for the summer party), but also because we are friends as well as colleagues.
    Everyone, right up to the directors, is down-to-earth and approachable.
    The experience you get at Newton will stand you in good stead to go in to many industries.

Cons

We don't work weekends, but there are some pretty intense weeks - not in terms of hours necessarily, but we are always 'on it'.
    We have to be away from home during the week - we get paid expenses, have team fun nights and enjoy being with our colleagues, but it's not the same as being at home!
    Sometimes a project ends when the results haven't come through yet as there is a lead time for the improvements to hit the shop floor, which means that it seems to us that we are leaving site suddenly and we aren't always there to see the results, which isn't as rewarding.
    If it is decided in your recruitment process that you will be hired as a graduate, it's very hard, if not impossible, to be promoted significantly 'ahead of the curve', no matter what they say in the recruitment presentation - people get promoted at 6 months in (if you are decided to be an experienced hire) or 19-22 months in (the curve for a graduate) - nobody gets promoted in between the two.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the culture as we get bigger - we're starting to feel much more 'corporate', which apart from anything else, doesn't really fit in with the senior team!
    It's great that you're focusing so much on recruitment, particularly to senior/lead level, but be careful not to forget to focus on retaining the people you have already! Already senior people seem very distant from the stresses & pressures of what it is like to be a consultant on a current project - remember they are larger both financially and in terms of the number of stakeholders than when you were at our level.

Display of bad employee management

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy day to day working life
    No pressure
    Anybody can do anything.
    After coming to know about Glassdoor, the employees have been asked to post 5* reviews by the HR. So most of the close dated reviews you see here have been planned.

Cons

People have been promoted without proper experience. Cannot handle ownership of bad decision or employee conflict. Absolutely no management, flattery can lead you anywhere in this company.

Advice to Management

If you can make it happen, keep good experienced people on top. Someone who can make sane organisation friendly decisions.

Hard work, can be rewarding, ultimately was not for me

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

The company is growing quickly and you can grow with it. Lots of opportunities to get involved in varied projects. Awesome parties.

Cons

Behaviour (even from senior people) can cross the line from fun to inappropriate quite regularly. It is long hours, lots of travel and pretty intense but the package is good and you can expense a lot.

RSS Feed </> Embed