Newton Europe

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
4.4

CEO

So much better than my last firm

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Newton gives me so many opportunities professionally. So many of my close friends I met at Newton. And it has allowed me to have fun along the way. We work hard but it feels like we are a team working on meaningful engagements for clients. Clients seem to like working with us which wasn't always the case in my last firm.

Cons

The main con is the need to be out working where our clients are, which means you travel around and have nights in hotels. Lots of socialising when 'off the clock' which is amazing but tiring sometimes!

I know the management work hard to make Newton as good as possible and that Newton isn't perfect for everyone (look at comments below) but I honestly think you do the right thing most of the time and it is a really positive culture that the vast majority love. The few people that aren't happy and leave seem to be the most difficult to please and don't actually perform that well when here - I sometimes think you should be harder on the under performers rather than always support them.

Fantastic opportunity to work with amazing colleagues and make a difference for a variety of clients!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You really do get responsibility early on in your career - you will be making a difference on site to clients straight away.
    Being on site with clients means you get to meet a lot of people and have a lot of variety in your day.
    The people you work with are really interesting, intelligent and driven people.
    The review days, activity days and parties are awesome, not only for the money spent on them (we hire a beach for the summer party), but also because we are friends as well as colleagues.
    Everyone, right up to the directors, is down-to-earth and approachable.
    The experience you get at Newton will stand you in good stead to go in to many industries.

Cons

We don't work weekends, but there are some pretty intense weeks - not in terms of hours necessarily, but we are always 'on it'.
    We have to be away from home during the week - we get paid expenses, have team fun nights and enjoy being with our colleagues, but it's not the same as being at home!
    Sometimes a project ends when the results haven't come through yet as there is a lead time for the improvements to hit the shop floor, which means that it seems to us that we are leaving site suddenly and we aren't always there to see the results, which isn't as rewarding.
    If it is decided in your recruitment process that you will be hired as a graduate, it's very hard, if not impossible, to be promoted significantly 'ahead of the curve', no matter what they say in the recruitment presentation - people get promoted at 6 months in (if you are decided to be an experienced hire) or 19-22 months in (the curve for a graduate) - nobody gets promoted in between the two.

Don't lose the culture as we get bigger - we're starting to feel much more 'corporate', which apart from anything else, doesn't really fit in with the senior team!
    It's great that you're focusing so much on recruitment, particularly to senior/lead level, but be careful not to forget to focus on retaining the people you have already! Already senior people seem very distant from the stresses & pressures of what it is like to be a consultant on a current project - remember they are larger both financially and in terms of the number of stakeholders than when you were at our level.

Display of bad employee management

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy day to day working life
    No pressure
    Anybody can do anything.
    After coming to know about Glassdoor, the employees have been asked to post 5* reviews by the HR. So most of the close dated reviews you see here have been planned.

Cons

People have been promoted without proper experience. Cannot handle ownership of bad decision or employee conflict. Absolutely no management, flattery can lead you anywhere in this company.

If you can make it happen, keep good experienced people on top. Someone who can make sane organisation friendly decisions.

Hard work, can be rewarding, ultimately was not for me

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

The company is growing quickly and you can grow with it. Lots of opportunities to get involved in varied projects. Awesome parties.

Cons

Behaviour (even from senior people) can cross the line from fun to inappropriate quite regularly. It is long hours, lots of travel and pretty intense but the package is good and you can expense a lot.

Used to have something niche, cool and fun but has lost its way a bit

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Fellow employees are awesome
    Review nights can be great fun
    Training is great though requires you to keep on top and request it

Cons

Employees treated as disposable
    Not seeing friends during the week
    Penny pinching/internal cost reduction culture slowly increasing where it now disproportionately impacts on employee happiness

You're perfectly profitable so it can be better to go the extra mile and keep people happy

Challenging, interesting and fun place to work.

I have been working at Newton Europe

Pros

Dynamic, upbeat and rapidly growing company. Great culture, not a report writing consultancy, but actually implement change. You get a really good relationship with the clients across different sectors. Your colleagues are universally brilliant people to work with. Personal development is also excellent and the company is investing in its internal training courses.

Cons

It can be hard work and stressful. As with all consultancy you are always on the outside of client team. It can be a lot of traveling and sometimes you don't where you are going to until the last minute.

Keep the culture going, and the delivery focus going.

Varied, engaging work in a young, growing company in a variety of industries.

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for managing projects early on in your career since the company is currently growing very rapidly. A lot of emphasis on development, and great support structures in place. Lively colleagues and fun, dynamic (albeit indulgent) culture. Great exposure to lots of different people, and lots of different types of work.

Cons

Constant travelling makes it harder to spend time with friends. The company is still emerging out of homogeneity, but the core still has a lot of similar types of personalities

More structures to create an internal social network that offers something for everyone.

I genuinely look forward to getting up and going to work in the morning

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is diverse, exciting, constantly evolving and never gets dull. There are always new challenges to overcome, and the opportunities to develop and progress your career will never cease. The company is full of talented, hard-working individuals, who are extremely motivated to support each other and work together for the good of the company. The culture and social interaction with the rest of the company is brilliant, with everyone getting together once a fortnight, and two epic parties a year.

Cons

You must be prepared to travel around the UK, living in hotels for 4 nights of the week, which could be anywhere in the country. You need to be able to drive, and may need to cover quite a lot of miles in your first few years. Currently the gender balance is quite biased towards men, but this is improving.

A spectacular organiastion, I am now working with the most impressive group of people I have ever come across

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Projects are fascinating and challenging, the people live the vibrant culture and the management really do empower their staff at early stages of their careers. Training is in abundance and there is a very open structure with many routes to providing great communication flow.

Cons

As with all consultancies the lifestyle of a consultant has to be taken into account, but there are many advantages of Newton that make this appear insignificant.

Excellent company!

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have never worked for a company so focused on its clients and people before. The people here are amazing and driven towards the company goal, we have so much fun at review nights, summer party's, Christmas party's and weekends away, the company expect a lot but in return the benefits are exceptional.

Cons

Hard work sometimes, extremely busy environment that's ever changing and hours can be long when under the pump

Don't lose sight of the culture as the company grows