Newton-Wellesley Hospital

Newton-Wellesley Hospital President Michael S. Jellinek

Michael S. Jellinek

great hospital, great people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsBeing part of an institution that is truly focused on quality of care. Investing in employee learning and growth.

ConsUnion environment. Seems to cause stagnation in terms of growth for some of the nurses.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all know that the union is a factor with expenditures r/t nursing and ultimately impacts bottom line. Make sure that non-union folks are well compensated in equal ways. Increasing salaries may of non-union personnel would be great, but valuable other perks could also go a long way (educational opportunities, free gym, extra week of vaca, etc.)

Very satisfied...

ProsBest reasons to work here include colleagues...

ConsParking is time-consuming and based on seniority.

I work with a great team who helped me feel very comfortable when I first started.

ProsIt's one of the top hospitals to work for. For example, most of the staff is friendly, NWH will help with tuition reimbursement, amazing benefits etc.

ConsThere is not much room for growth unless you go back for more schooling. The pay if you are not clinical, is not great.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Open and friendly atmosphere where everyone works together.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsPeople are willing to teach you new skills; work-life balance is important to leadership.

ConsWhile the opportunity to enhance skills is a plus, there is little room to move within the organization since it is on the smaller side. You will have to be happy with personal growth, not growth in title.

Good experience

Temporary Worker (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsI worked in an administrative office and I had a good experience with Partners, got well-paid, and overall found it to be a positive working environment

Consthe office was a bit depressing, not much opportunity for upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementGive promotions to employees based on skill and qualifications, not to diversify the management team (I must emphasize that this is NOT a practice company-wide but I did see it in my department)

Registration Coordinator

ProsNWH is part of Partners Healthcare good opportunities.

ConsWish our office was better. Basically stuck in a cramped placee

NWH

Clinical Faculty (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsVery supportive culture for nursing

ConsThe union stops professional development such as the best person for the job may not get the job. Time off requests are always done by seniority, I had no summer vacation for the first 4 years of employment

Advice to Senior Managementmake time off more equitable

Newton-Wellesley Hospital is a great place to work.

Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) Newton, MA

Prosfriendly atmosphere, satisfied workers, hard-working nurses, excellent benefits, gym on hospital campus

Consall about money, don't like working weekends, staffing issues, parking is pretty bad

Huge disconnect between employee satisfaction and patient satisfaction from Executive Management and Mid-Managers.

Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsExcellent benefits. Pay is competitive. Part-time opportunities and various shifts.

ConsNo growth potential. Hiring from without and not promoting within. Double talk about patients satisfaction scores, but does nothing to help employee satisfaction--cake and cookies doe not make an employee feel appreciated. Very stingy with compliments and Executive Board needs to stroll around to see the "little people" who keep them looking good. Definite separation between them and us mentality. If you want to work to just work, this is the place for you. If you want to grow within the organization, look somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hospital has changed in attitude towards the entry and mid-level staff. You cannot expect patients to rate the staff and hospital a "5" if you do not believe your staff deserves a "5". This would appear to be common sense. The saying goes, you get what you give. Middle management is totally overwhelmed and therefore not available as needed for information or help. This is where the disconnect starts. Half of a sentence or thought is not considered communication on a day to day basis. Hopefully things will improve to the point that all staff will feel a sense of pride for what they do and will believe that NWH is the premier hospital. A Premier hospital for the concerns of their staff--and this is not about the money, it's about the communication on a daily basis and recognition due to all departments.

No growth-opportunities for well-educated administrative staff due to budget cuts.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsExcellent health and dental benefits.

ConsGive up the care-first standards if your senior management can't understand how to apply these very basic ideas in their dealings with staff and teams. It's important to care as much about your employees as you do, your patients, you are missing the mark here.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who have given years of service and who call NWH a home are not cherished aside from their excellent pay and decent benefits. Honor those that have given their service for years, truly honor them...those employees make the hospital. Also, take those that are in lower-level jobs such as coordinators and find opportunities for those who excel, to move up. Some are okay with being in the same role for 10 years but when you have a shining star, take advantage and elevate that individual.

Institute care-first standards for how management treats employees of all levels. Really, truly make those long-standing employees feel valued.

Worked for Newton-Wellesley Hospital? Contribute to the Community!