Nexen

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fang Zhi

Pros
  • Great people new organization trying to build into a local player in oil sands(in 7 reviews)

• Great compensation and benefits(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is not college educated however has far too much power over decision making(in 3 reviews)

• Not sure how the most recent takeover by Cnooc will affect the company(in 4 reviews)

Good company where you can gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosgood pay, more than what I expected

Conscomplicated procedures on everything. It is hard for new hire to focus on work

Advice to Senior Managementsimplify procedures.

Nexen USA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay, Nice building, generally well meaning company, but...

ConsThe US version of this company is kind of on the ropes. Loosing a lot of staff, for a variety of pretty good reasons, and though they are no longer an immediate extension of the canadian way, it still ends up being the default management style.
    I dont think it is unfair to say this companies future is definitely a question mark, a previous poster called it a "Bright Future" and I hope for the sake of those who remain that is true, but that was not the consensus opinion of the average individual when I was there.
    I would strongly suggest you ask a lot of questions at the interview about staffing, future, scope.
    The good news is that all of this bodes well for negotiating your pay. Trust me, they need you, just dont think you are going to retire here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak out of the Canadian mold, you are carrying a fair amount of dead weight in low level managers who are out of their element.
    Best of luck

Unfair

Administrative (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible work schedule, good money

ConsToo many Chiefs, not enuff Indians, Unethical Managements, Low Employee Moral, No where to move up in company, wouldn't recommend.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganization of management who practices what is preached

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not entirely what I expected however there are some really great people to work with here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSmall community of people. Easy access to senior regional management. Good location in Houston. Offers two Fridays off per month

ConsVery limited opportunity for growth. The company is working on developing a growth strategy for technical roles but there doesn't seem to be any plans for non-technical roles. Could be organized more efficiently and often has poor utilization of people resources.

Short Stay, felt like a time pocket

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, Easy to juggle work and family, compensation was on par

ConsMundane, no challenge presented itself while i was there (aside from staying awake and in the building)
    IT is years behind and fighting to get ahead. Management doesn't pay attention to their employees. Not counting Team Leads

Senior Financial Analyst

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsDid not like the overtime

Stuck in a rut

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Nice gym in the head office. Compressed work week option.

ConsManagement is driving this company in the ground. The morale is very low. There are lots of changes that are driven at cost savings but here chasing dollars to save pennies and that's because management is weak. The changes being implemented are not going to save the company. They need to need to be more receptive to changing processes and stop doing business with itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change and put your ego aside. We are too too heavy and need to look at changing how we do business as a way to save money rather than cutting small things like catering.

Once a great company..

(Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsPeople: Excellent Team of highly talented people
    Benefits
    Great schedule
    Lots of potential

ConsNew management is destroying what used to be a great company.
    Lack of vision and lots of conflicting priorities.
    Low morale and highly stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs overhaul.
    Nexen used to be one of the best places to work.
    It had values and a strong work ethic.
    Be patient and the results will show.

Great company - work life balance

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat compensation and benefits. Wellness subsidy. Compressed work schedule - Two Friday's off per month. Corporate events. Great community.

ConsNew management with new corporate goals and objectives - trouble understanding exactly what those are at this time

Things are changing at Nexen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsI used to be a good company

ConsChanges are coming in upper management

Worked for Nexen? Contribute to the Community!