Nexenta Systems

Nexenta Systems Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated May 26, 2014

Tarkan Maner

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Potential, great leadership.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsNew leadership taking the company in the right direction. Great strategy. Great roadmap. It's all about execution.

ConsIt's all about execution. Too much work needs to be done to keep pace with customers.

Great place to learn new technologies

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThis is the place were I've learned a lot: javascript, python, UI development, network, storage, unix, solaris. Nexenta requires to use a lot of different technologies, from different field, and has a lot of great engineers who can help to explore, good people.

ConsMassive growth of the component comes with some extra work.

Lots of work, lots of fun, great opportunity - we will be a $1B company!

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat technology, partners, and people - CEO has good vision and is building towards a strong culture, lots of energy around the brand, full of "fixable problems" that mean big success for employees; at the front of the next wave of innovation - software defined data center; work days are long, but the work has an impact, which makes it satisfying; I'm glad to be here and plan on staying; and my two cents - love the open floor plan - now I can talk to people :) it's energizing

ConsThe culture is in transition and change is hard; the journey to enterprise class doesn't happen overnight and means a lot of process discipline that people don't always like; culture / company change = some people churn, but I think this is a necessary process; right now, everyone's getting used to the new reality; as we settle down, all that improves

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Maybe add staff meetings back to the mix :) overall pleased

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a mess!!

Santa Clara, CA

ProsPeople, snacks, in building gym

ConsOpen floor plan, directors and leaders, no communication, not enough team meetings, salary

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth and they may stay longer, empower them to be leaders and they will lead, stop with the favorites - there are many and they are not as good as people think

Reenergized company with some dynamic and talented newcomers.

Santa Clara, CA

Pros- New CEO has created a new energy and momentum toward success.
    - New management makes me feel like our work is important and adding value.
    - Great product loved by many customers.
    - Great healthcare and other HR benefits.

Cons- Low salaries compared to other comparable places in the bay area.
    - Facilities and related perks are not as generous as other places.

"A start-up with bad management but lovely co-workers"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThey fully stock snacks!

Great if your willing to put in long hours and looking for an opportunity to try new tasks.

Really wonderful coworkers!

ConsSome large growing pains. Saw many people get hired and MANY people laid off.

Management defiantly needs work...ESPECIALLY in the Sales department.

Felt HR department was unhelpful, unprofessional, and just plain mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold yourselves accountable for your team and hold team meetings....weekly why not?

New Upper Management has Affected the Culture

Diligent Worker (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

Pros-- Was a great company at one point.
    -- Developed technical skills here that will help me in my career in the future.
    -- There are still good people working there, just not in upper management.

Cons-- The new upper management is disconnected from their workers and have created a culture of separatism, favoritism, and exclusivity in a company that was once very egalitarian and transparent.

-- Lack of vision and leadership. Upper management's strategies are more about what not to do rather than proactively finding new ways to conquer the market.

-- Selective accountability. For many of the managers, politics take precedent over innovation or quality/efficiency of work. People are rewarded for being politically convenient and supportive even if they don't deliver what they are responsible for delivering. Those who ask tough (and fair) questions of management are seen as political threats and are pushed out regardless of performing well.

-- Management does not work well together. They have no shared vision and don't do a good job of coordinating efforts. In other words, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and neither hand cares to find out.

-- Nepotism has become rampant.

-- The culture has become toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to remember who built this company: the workers, not the new management team. You are systematically alienating your workforce with your elitist, nepotistic culture and utter lack of vision and talent.

A great place to work with a unified team who cares about you as a contributor.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere has not been another company that I have been with that encourages career development, employee growth, and success. I feel very integral to the growth and success of the company as we take on more and more market at an unprecedented growth rate.

ConsLack of good places to eat within walking distance. There are plenty of restaurants, but since we are near Santa Clara university, you get the typical university student budget type of places to eat.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, happy so far!

A very close knit company where everyone feels like they matter.

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsEveryone is treated like they matter.
    A nice sized start up with lots of room to grow with the company.
    The CEO Evan is a great guy who likes to keep in touch with his employees.
    I only left because once I graduated, I wanted to go down a different career path than marketing.

ConsDidn't like having cubicles added. Used to feel closer to everyone when we didn't have walls in-between us. That's more of a personal preference though.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuously keep in touch with employees. It means a lot to know their work is appreciated.

The plane has taken off. We're upgrading the engines in flight.

Director (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood people, clear company values, massive market, global company with customers and Nexentians all over the world. Lots of training and opportunity to advance.

ConsWith massive growth comes potentially infinite work; also the global customer set and employees can be challenging sometimes if only to communicate across time zones and cultures and languages.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing it. Never mind the torpedoes.

Worked for Nexenta Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nexenta Systems reviews and ratings in Santa Clara, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nexenta Systems CEO Tarkan Maner. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Nexenta Systems employees.