Nexius

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
3.7

n/a

Pros
  • This is a great place to start your career (in 5 reviews)

• The management team is easy to approach and talk to about most anything (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains as systems, processes and facilities are outgrown quickly (in 5 reviews)

• No cons to share, wonderful place to work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice company to work with

I have been working at Nexius

Pros

Good professional company for work

Cons

Its a Beginner but learning

Plan some workshops/trainings for employees

I was on a leave - had great experience!

I have been working at Nexius full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I recently had to be out of the office due to a medical reason. I had heard that HR wasn't really helpful, but that was so not my experience. I had no idea what to do or what to expect, but the HR team was actually really helpful! I asked a lot of questions over and over and the HR lady never sounded tired or mad at me - she was really helpful. The HR team (the HR contact and her manager) were great and helped me with everything I needed. There were only a few questions they couldn't answer right away and they got back with me with a day with everything. It went really smoothly and my return to work is going really well!

Cons

Sometimes being so spread out in different offices can be hard. You don't get to have a face-to-face. But in this case, everyone always answered the phone, emails and skypes, which was helpful.

Low Pay for a project lead actively involved and supporting several projects

Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Leader
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Leader

I have been working at Nexius

Pros

good working environment; growing company

Cons

- got to support several on-going projects and getting paid for a senior engineer salary
    - several successful projects under my belt but I guess hardworking guys are overlooked and underpaid

Just another turfing vendor except this one has delusions of grandeur.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Nexius (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Paychecks clear on time
    - Pretty much left alone to do your job
    - Good enough place as any to get some resume experience if you are new to the industry
    - some ability to telecommute (erratically applied)

Cons

- HR dept is horrible, you WILL have trouble getting your payroll tax deductions, benefits and W2 form correct (they are now on their third payroll company in three years.
    - Company budgets month to month not project to project leading to constant layoffs which doesn't allow staffing to correspond to the workload in any given month
    - Company has grown too fast and now suffering from middle management bloat.
    - Company won't invest (or just as likely doesn't understand the need) in software and processes needed to handle large projects, quickly gets in over its head.
    - If you are new to the industry, you will simply be thrown in to sink or swim. The experienced personnel are too overloaded to provide you with much training and mentoring or they simply aren't there as they have already been laid off.
    - Poor IT services
    - Sr Management has recently installed "creepy" video surveillance in its offices to monitor real time.
    - No bonuses worth mentioning, no bonus structure, just a token random amount
    - No 401k matching even though it has been promised for 3+ years.

- Company has too many irons in the fire. It has far flung offices and multiple departments.The company has quite simply grown too fast during a boom period which will soon end.

Completely unorganized and overall terrible.

I worked at Nexius full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can not think of anything positive to say about my experience at this company. I was in a "new market", but it was run like garbage. Senior management had/has no clue what middle management is doing to FAIL on the project.

Cons

Management has "friends" in other management positions as contractors (thought this was illegal). Existing middle management empowers rookies so as to not have to actually deal with any issues.

Get people in charge that are committed to doing the job for the benefit of the customer instead of employing their buddies that have no ethics.

Ownership: check some references and follow up with HR regarding turnover in a particular market. Too young to have this much turnover. Something has to be wrong.

Reactive industry makes for a reactive employer

I have been working at Nexius full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation
    Ability to telecommute if need be
    Managers are easily accessible and great resources

Cons

The telecommunications industry is extremely reactive and because of that, the company has to react on the turn of a dime. I saw this in two different perspectives within the company and in both cases it causes a lot of stress on everyone and therefore everyone is rushing to get their jobs done

Be careful who you put into a supervisory position

I got to choose my field of work and location

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer

I have been working at Nexius full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Understanding managers who let me choose what project I would like to work on. Also, flexible in terms of location. Overall a cheerful and good learning environment.

Cons

Consulting means changing projects all the time. Be ready to work with new people, environments, technologies after 3 to 6 months maybe. The good side is you do not get bored easily and have to keep learning new things.

Keep on inspiring and leading people. Good work.

Absolutely the low point of my career.

Former Employee - Principal Architect in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Architect in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nexius full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can think of no reasons why anyone would want to work for Nexius.

Cons

Nexius has mastered the art of blurring the lines around immigration law to import cheap, young foregin labor. They like their employees fresh out of Grad School in the U.S. and work them accordingly. The difficulty for those of us who are U.S. natives is that we cannot understand all the cultural differences and communication is difficult.

Nexius is also a service company beholden to the customers they service. The wireless industry is a particularly difficult sector to work in because it has decided that cheap labor is good enough and they've layed-off almost everyone who actually had talent and skills over the last 15 years and replaced them with H1-Bs, many of whom are adequate but most of whom are not.

Go back to Canada.

Rapidly declining culture and business

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Allen, TX

I worked at Nexius full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Paid on time
    - Remote work
    - good work like balance for some

Cons

- Hire for one skill set and use for something completely different, without mentoring
    - Judge harshly on work performed under these improvised conditions, reflected in bad performance reviews and absent bonuses
    - Token pay raise
    - Toxic culture of pitting employees against each other, monitoring using cameras
    - it is a must to agree 100% with upper management, nothing short of that is tolerated, many talented employees have left/been fired because of this
    - Abrupt changes in requirements and priorities, pointless periods of panic (this period will dominate the performance review)
    - Hiding behind "agile" methodology to justify poor requirement communication and lack of planning
    - ACE program exploits fresh grads with long work hours, no real training(makes it tough to change jobs) and poor pay
    - Business is going down, admittedly they are not making much profit,if any and customers don't seem happy from what I have heard

Please don't join this company, have a look at the rating trends, it has gone downhill since early 2014.

None really, judging by the lack of response to the exodus, it seems you guys know exactly what you are doing. Hiring expensive resources to build the foundation and then doing the maintenance with cheap fresh grads. Good luck with this policy.

Great company.

I have been working at Nexius

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to learns new technical, managerial and business skills. Senor management team is exceptionally good to work with. Great company!

Cons

Compensation and benefits are average.

Keep up the good work.