Nexon

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stay away

I worked at Nexon

ProsOffice building looks nice, close to LAX, parking situation seems to be okay. Surrounding area has pretty fine restaurants if you're a drive-out-for-lunch kind.
Easy to get hired, if you don't mind low salary, temporary position.

ConsLow morale in general.
Benefits are less than industry average.
In office vending machine is really expensive.
A LOT of politics.
Lack of employee ownership.
People refusing to take responsibility unless they are execs.
Promotion, hiring not clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring a bunch of executive level people won't help.

garbage

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nexon part-time for more than 5 years

Prosthey have great benefits. The people are friendly too, but not very smart.
they have fun events all the time
the coffee is wonderful
i can work stressfree
not too consumed on deadlines

Consbad company
people tend to work very slowly which results in angry customers
need to get everything approved by headquarters so glitches or hacks tend not to be fixed immediatly. They also are money oriented. Even though things are programmed months in advanced, there still are many problems
other people they hire have poor software skills which results in poor coding
tend to make many mistakes
poor time-keeping skills
sometimes need to go at all hours of the days because of problems to servers
server tends to get lots of glitches
i feel that they have too many games and not enough people to services them
low salary payments

Lost my faith in this industry

I have been working at Nexon full-time for more than a year

ProsCoworkers are very friendly
Good way to get industry experience

ConsUnbelievable workload
Understaffed
Poor Atmosphere
Bosses don't listen to our complaints
Anti-minority attitudes expressed by some bosses
The AC is broken
My seat doesn't lean all the way back anymore
No foosball table
DFO is Dead

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that we as employees are human beings, not machines, and the ridiculous amount of stress being placed on a small number of us is NOT good policy. On top of this, direct more staff towards your flagging releases, hire more staff in general, release more content, provide a better level of customer communication and answer my flipping ticket please.

This gaming company makes a poor representation of what it means to work in the industry.

El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Nexon full-time for less than a year

Pros-great coffee machine
-can be late often or not come in at all. They don't seem to have a policy for that, even if you are management.

Cons-Two year temporary positions for most, with very expensive benefits and only if you can afford and want them.
-No holiday pay, and forced to be off if you are temp.
-Bad company structure; they do not know what direction they want to lead the company to.
-The wrong people in the wrong positions, employees that are die hard being overworked to no end.
-Old vet employees that are reluctant to change.
-Company does not invest in resources for departments that need it.
-Does not care about their player base.
-They just want to know “How much more money they can make”, without a care in trying to fix their games and make them better for those that have spent the money already.
-Everyone looks unhappy, and people quit weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what direction you want to take, remind your management or re-train on how to manage and be professional.
Pick up your company morale; a couple but almost no one seems happy to be there you wouldn’t think you work for a gaming company.
Invest in your customer service and those that help improve your online game stability.

Being young is good when the company is in a good condition, but..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than a year

ProsEverybody is young. Being young is a good thing!

ConsBecause people are young, when company's situation started getting worse financially, it becomes difficult for young team to come up with solution to fix it.

Trying to force korean standards on the western market

I worked at Nexon full-time

ProsYou get half year bonuses additionally to your KPI performances (e.g. Amazon vouchers).

ConsNo direct vision for the products
No discussions, when you have a different opinion than your Korean colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas and don'T stomp your korean ideals of europe and usa.

This company and missed opportunities

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment, when not facing strenuous deadlines concerning updates, patches, whatever, is very relaxed and the people you meet are wonderful.
Basketball court, lounge, and beautiful beach view.
Great place to make life-long friends and find people who are truly compassionate about their jobs and the games.

ConsLeadership is addled and confused. They have no clue how to manage these games and are hindered even further by Nexon Korea.
Meager pay.
Harsh deadlines and late nights.
No overtime.
Some of the policies are for certain individuals only.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to have some courage and don't needlessly follow everything that Nexon Korea tells you. You are your own company and you're missing out on gems and alienating your player base. Instead of doing the right things and pushing for certain games, you've allowed games which at one time were one of your leading moneymakers, to fall stagnate. Now you try and focus on other games, letting the true gems escape you. I understand some of the reason and verdicts come from Nexon Korea, but with a little push things could have been different. This adds stress to your workers also, as they are met with a community that dislikes them, especially when we aren't allowed to communicate with them. This has them believing things like bugs and errors are our fault, especially when we aren't giving time to look over the code and fix these things. I mean come on, you get a patch and want us to translate, code and import it in less than two weeks? This company only cares about money. The way the employees are treated tends to be fair, given the deadlines, but some of the management could do with not showing preferential treatment to some of the less talented and more loyal employees. The lack of communication between Nexon and Nexon Korea is also killer, with everything seemingly dropped last minute. With a better tie to our communities, better attempts at understanding the load put on your employees, and some infrastructure changes, the company could grow and expand, seeing an overall better product produced.

Looking to work here? Keep looking, you can do better.

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBasketball court
Great, talented people, personal friendships and networking opportunities
Safe neighborhood

ConsPoor wages (do your homework when applying, there ARE companies that will pay you fair market value)
Fail executive staff (aimless vision, no transparency, don't know what to do with the talent)
Failing company (all the top talent has already escaped this sinking ship, while the remaining talent are avidly looking for new opportunities elsewhere).
I've got a hunch the Nexon America office will be closed by Big Daddy Korea/Japan so they can focus on the asian market.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are great people here. Your customers are loyal and wonderful as well. But when your idea of driving revenue is to post big banners and popups for sales rather than crafting an excellent user experience, and the competition catches up with the Free 2 Play model, you're destined to fail once you've lost sight of the people.

Nexon is one of the worst gaming companies to work for.

Vindictus Game Engineer (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Nexon part-time for less than a year

Pros-As many breaks as our current team manager allows which was quite often
- Basketball court and food lounge
- Employees great to work with, not so the higher ups.

Cons-I recently quit the Vindictus NA team because of how corporate treats us and making us unable to speak to players about the issues at hand that make this company so unprofessional.
-Under alot of pressure to get assignments done at an unreasonable rate to the point where I have to go home and finish it and add it to a USB to bring back to work.
-Have to relay all information to Nexon Korea before Nexon NA can do anything regarding issues to the game, they gave us the patches for everything and i mean everything......
-Seoul, IE Nexon Korea will be doing an overhaul and probably firing a lot of staff in 2013 I assume.
-Overall Nexon is a company where you can get your foot in the door for some experience then quit as soon as you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to change there outlook. Making games into where its basicly give us money or you will have a bad experience. The higher ups have no idea about the gaming industry, "more profit is more important than player experience" is corporate in a nutshell.

LA offices are in trouble

Production Team Staff (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nexon full-time for more than a year

Pros*Close to the beach
*Because so many people quit and are laid off, plenty of opportunity to learn
*A basketball court at the office
*Fun activities

Cons*Games are failing, with office planning to close at the end of the year, friends at Seoul setting up teams to take over for staffs in LA
*Very inexperienced top leadership
*Inexperienced leadership selected because company plans to close the LA offices, except for small opps team
*Staffs not treated well, those of us sponsored by Nexon are treated like servant and have to work extra hour
*Best talent has abandoned the company for better jobs

Advice to Senior Management*Stop closing the office, find new games that win
*Find more experienced leadership
*Treat those sponsored with pleasantness

Worked for Nexon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nexon reviews and ratings. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Nexon employees.