Nexstar Broadcasting

Nexstar Broadcasting Chairman, President, and CEO Perry A. Sook

Perry A. Sook

Maybe it's just me...

Production Assistant (Current Employee) Panama City, FL

ProsExperience for as long as you can tolerate it

ConsAnchors are rude, condescending, conniving.
    Pay is awful
    Takes months if not years to move up

Not a good place to work

Worked In IT (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGained allot of experience in a short time because it was very sink or swim. I met allot of really good poeple at the TV stations.

Working there has also given me an appreciation for the job I have now because Nexstar taught me how bad a company could be.

ConsNexstar does not want to spend money on anything, people, equipment, software, professional services, etc even though everything is falling apart. Salaries are 40-50% below industry standard for IT in the DFW area.

IT staffing levels are unrealistic; needs to double or triple in size. Management does not care how many hours you work per week. Frequently worked 60 hour weeks with a few times of working almost 80.

No room for growth because any IT position you want to advance to does not exist in this company because it would cost them to much to hire those people.

Management only cares about acquiring TV stations and gutting them to the point of oblivion to raise the paper "value" when it comes time to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being greedy.

Nexstar Review

News Videographer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for when it comes to a team effort. Corporate backs success and gives tools for success.

ConsStaffing can be better with more positions filled so responsibilities do not fall on very few staff members. When key individual are missing problems tend to rise. This also limits personnel to shorter vacations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, success is determined on how you treat every individual.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been rewarding with a lot of hard work ,but at the same time repeated difficulties making company substandard.

ProsAbility to be promoted, learn many new skills, large audience area, large differing population to work within, good benefits

ConsMistakes, negativity, unfulfilled promises, old equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementSay thank you once in a while, care more about the person than the product, and be happy for the employee

Decent at first, became disillusioned, frustrated...

LSM (Former Employee)

ProsPro - sales AND innovation... strove to constantly improve... not afraid to try new ideas

ConsKnee jerk reactivity...not enough upward oppty. development...

Advice to Senior ManagementINVEST in management, especially women and minorities... better cross pollination... weed out those who are unwilling to keep up with 'times'/ technologies...

No money except for buying more stations and downsizing

News Production (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits package. Yeah...that's about it.

ConsHere's the formula. Buy two stations in the same market under duopoly loophole. Eliminate positions that became duplicated. Saddle remaining employees with 2x the workload. A few years later those recently consolidated positions are eliminated and are "hubbed" at a central location, therefore saddling them with an even larger workload. It's really an insult to say that positions are being created by becoming a "hub" but leave out those five new jobs used to be held by ten employees. In the broadcasting world, Nexstar's nickname is "Death Star". Just like in "Star Wars", if you see the Death Star coming for you, you would be smart to get the hell out of there. It makes me sick to see what they've done to many of my former co-workers and friends. Huge increase in quarterly revenue in Q4 of 2013. Now I know why. I will NEVER work for a Nexstar station again......EVER.

Advice to Senior ManagementHit and miss. Many are in it for themselves with no regard to their employees' job satisfaction. Hire them cheap, they'll get some experience and then move on, so why pay them decent in the first place. Hire the twits and hope they work out. Bad pay brings bad employees. Bad employees mean a bad product. Bad product means no ad revenue which means a bad bottom line. Sadly, they seem happy with that.

Not the greatest place to work but the people were good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were very good there for the most part.

ConsToo much focus on digital sales. Too much internal competition for sales.

Loved it!

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company to work for! Management is wonderful!

ConsCommission only for sales department

Great Starting Point for Entry Level

ProsTraining environments, fun environment, great learning opportunities and opportunities for advancement if one is willing to work for it

ConsLow pay for non-sales employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could keep so much of the turn over down with small pay raises

This has been a whirlwind, extremely stressful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers are a hoot to work with. It helps makes the day go by faster and makes life so much easier when you have good co-workers.

ConsManagers all walk around with their ideas, each of them not thinking them out fully and some don't know how to plan properly. Some of the managers walk around glassy eyed because they don't know what they're supposed to do. Pay isn't great, and there's no room to improve. You can work 56 hours a week to get your job done and still not have it completed. No one knows what the others are supposed to do, management styles are skewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and better treatment of your employees will ensure that you have long term employees who want to come to work each day.

Worked for Nexstar Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!