Nexstar Broadcasting

Updated August 27, 2014
3.2

Nexstar Broadcasting Chairman, President, and CEO Perry A. Sook
Perry A. Sook

It is an ambitious broadcasting ownership group, what else is there to say?

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement between stations in different markets, many different sized markets available.

Cons

The compensation levels are not quite what they used to be 10-20 years ago, but that goes with the industry.

Phenomenal Management and Leadership

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Local Management at the time was Phenomenal

Cons

Corporate level management was slow to communicate

Great Sales Teams create a positive work environment for the entire office. Great sales teams are formed by great leaders and managers, not by tyrants.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Traffic Assistant  in  Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Traffic Assistant in Abilene, TX

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have the opportunity to offer Ideas, They listen and management tries to be employee friendly. The management tries to be balance work and life when not being pushed by corporate mandates.

Cons

Very stress full, Timelines are always rushed and sales people are aggressive towards internal employees. Internal employees are treated as red headed step children with little regard for the fact we actually implemented

I would increase the perks, such as Insurance and bonuses for non sales positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maybe it's just me...

Current Employee - Production Assistant  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting part-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience for as long as you can tolerate it

Cons

Anchors are rude, condescending, conniving.
    Pay is awful
    Takes months if not years to move up

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Worked In IT  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Worked In IT in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gained allot of experience in a short time because it was very sink or swim. I met allot of really good poeple at the TV stations.

Working there has also given me an appreciation for the job I have now because Nexstar taught me how bad a company could be.

Cons

Nexstar does not want to spend money on anything, people, equipment, software, professional services, etc even though everything is falling apart. Salaries are 40-50% below industry standard for IT in the DFW area.

IT staffing levels are unrealistic; needs to double or triple in size. Management does not care how many hours you work per week. Frequently worked 60 hour weeks with a few times of working almost 80.

No room for growth because any IT position you want to advance to does not exist in this company because it would cost them to much to hire those people.

Management only cares about acquiring TV stations and gutting them to the point of oblivion to raise the paper "value" when it comes time to sell.

Stop being greedy.

Nexstar Review

Current Employee - News Videographer
    Current Employee - News Videographer

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for when it comes to a team effort. Corporate backs success and gives tools for success.

Cons

Staffing can be better with more positions filled so responsibilities do not fall on very few staff members. When key individual are missing problems tend to rise. This also limits personnel to shorter vacations.

Keep doing what you are doing, success is determined on how you treat every individual.

It has been rewarding with a lot of hard work ,but at the same time repeated difficulties making company substandard.

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Ability to be promoted, learn many new skills, large audience area, large differing population to work within, good benefits

Cons

Mistakes, negativity, unfulfilled promises, old equipment

Say thank you once in a while, care more about the person than the product, and be happy for the employee

Decent at first, became disillusioned, frustrated...

Former Employee - LSM
    Former Employee - LSM

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pro - sales AND innovation... strove to constantly improve... not afraid to try new ideas

Cons

Knee jerk reactivity...not enough upward oppty. development...

INVEST in management, especially women and minorities... better cross pollination... weed out those who are unwilling to keep up with 'times'/ technologies...

Loved it!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for! Management is wonderful!

Cons

Commission only for sales department

No money except for buying more stations and downsizing

Current Employee - News Production
    Current Employee - News Production

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits package. Yeah...that's about it.

Cons

Here's the formula. Buy two stations in the same market under duopoly loophole. Eliminate positions that became duplicated. Saddle remaining employees with 2x the workload. A few years later those recently consolidated positions are eliminated and are "hubbed" at a central location, therefore saddling them with an even larger workload. It's really an insult to say that positions are being created by becoming a "hub" but leave out those five new jobs used to be held by ten employees. In the broadcasting world, Nexstar's nickname is "Death Star". Just like in "Star Wars", if you see the Death Star coming for you, you would be smart to get the hell out of there. It makes me sick to see what they've done to many of my former co-workers and friends. Huge increase in quarterly revenue in Q4 of 2013. Now I know why. I will NEVER work for a Nexstar station again......EVER.

Hit and miss. Many are in it for themselves with no regard to their employees' job satisfaction. Hire them cheap, they'll get some experience and then move on, so why pay them decent in the first place. Hire the twits and hope they work out. Bad pay brings bad employees. Bad employees mean a bad product. Bad product means no ad revenue which means a bad bottom line. Sadly, they seem happy with that.

Worked for Nexstar Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!