Next Jump

Next Jump Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Charlie Kim

Charlie Kim

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very positive experience

Business Development Intern (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsStrong company culture, they provide lots of benefits. They give you the opportunity to work on lots of different projects. Everyone is very friendly and easy to work with.

ConsCompensation might seem little at the beginning but they provide with other benefits that make it worth while. Good company!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Bad Work Experience

Boston Office Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSmart people, fast learning curve

ConsNo Life outside work. Too much stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want nextjump to become best place to work. Stop expecting employees to make the job their life.
    All that free food and less than market pay is bad.
    Employee would rather like to go home and eat with family. Instead of getting peer pressured to stay till late.

Not a good work experience

Boston, MA

Pros-gym/fitness program
    -project management skills (working under such tight deadlines you do learn a lot)
    -office has a really nice design

Cons-you will often think things like 'this is not real life' 'nobody here has been outside in a really long time' and 'I miss my friends/family/life before I committed to this'

-it is a very tough environment to work in-very high stress, constantly changing initiatives, no work life balance (you will be shocked at how much of your life you lose-and how great you will feel when you leave) and a general vibe of negativity from management and co-workers.

-salary, grossly under what you can be making at other tech companies, which should be a red flag from your initial interview. There is a lot of talk of the company suddenly doing really well, everyone getting bonuses, huge potential rewards. It starts to feel like you're being brainwashed. It's over 10 years old, its not a start-up anymore, just stop.

-brainwashing on company/culture being the best ever (culture/benefits-its not special from other companies in the industry, its doesn't feel organic, and the over obsession with it is scaring everyone)

Advice to Senior ManagementGo outside, and let your employees have a life outside of work to re-charge and come back fresh. Follow through on projects before starting fifty new culture initiatives and focus on the business so your employees feel like they are working for a company with sustainability. Hire management with experience (more than 2 years) and listen to them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not really a good experience

Pros1.) Good benefits like Food etc
    2.) Nice Gym
    3.) Definitely a good learning platform

Cons1.) Larger than life ego (w.r.t upper management)
    2.) 'No work-life balance'
    3.) Blame games at its best

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely can do better in treating their employees

Love building a great company

Jooe Kim, Senior Director, Human Capital (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

Pros-People. Hands down. You’re surrounded by great people. There isn’t a single person in my office I would object to working with. It’s rare to be in an organization where this is true. I’m impressed by the talent level of my colleagues. They face challenges head onand are committed to building something great.

-Opportunity. Lots of opps for growth esp. for young ppl. Performance based culture, so ppl who demonstrate strong performance experience the most growth. Little bureaucracy. You don’t have to “wait your turn” to lead and have ownership.

-Biz model. The company has been around for 17 yrs. The biz model is sustainable and huge potential for growth.

-Competitive compensation

-Benefits. We have some of the best benefits.

-$5,000 Vacations Credit. Our vacation is supposed to be as intense in experience as our work. There’s a $,5000 credit to upgrade your vacations. It Lets you pamper yourself. I went horseback riding in Hawaii and to the Bahamas for new years.

-Free weekly laundry. Weekday work is intense. But we rarely work the weekends. I think I worked 8 weekends last year. The free laundry service has made a huge difference in my quality of life. It saves to 3+ hrs each weekend.

-Amazing gym, best trainers, good classes. Open 24/7 and open to family & friends.

-Food. Nutrition is big. We have a registered dietitian who runs the whole wellness program. You can have full breakfast (eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, sandwiches/salads after fitness classes as hot dinners 4x week. Drinks fridge is awesome (green tea, coconut water, horizon choc milk...my fav).

-2x corporate charity match for employee donations to nonprofits. Also provide in-house resources to help nonprofits.

Cons-Hours. Toughest thing for most people. Like most growing internet cos, we work a lot. The work load is heavy. And I would say the better you are, the more responsibility is put on your shoulders so you may work even more. Be fully aware if you are thinking of joining. Basically ask yourself if you want to join a growing internet company.

-Changing priorities. Lots of changes and can make life frustrating and a real pain. Whether it’s quickly putting out a new product or being resourced to a different one suddently, it seems to happen frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally groom more lieutenants. It would be good to mentor a few ppl who could truly stand in for you on day to day stuff. I think we will be able to move faster that way and be more connected throughout the whole organization.

More edited communication at a company-wide level. Provide unedited info to the leadership groups . That will empower leaders and help them to communicate messages more effectively at their division levels.

Work, work harder, then work some more.

Associate (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe in office gym and trainers are nice. Drinks and relaxation time every Friday is nice. The parties tend to be a lot of fun too. It is a very challenging environment and you can learn a lot, particularly since whatever you happen to be good at you probably won't be working on.

ConsThe hours are ridiculous. There is no such thing as work life balance. On it's best days it is an ethically questionable company. The CEO only cares about "results" and if you aren't doing something that makes money, then it isn't considered important. There is no compensation unless you kiss a lot of ass. There are promises of options and going public that are thrown out all the time that later on are forgotten about or never pan out as promised. I don't understand how anyone with a family works for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRome was not built in a day. A little planning would go a long way. Stand up to the CEO as a group to focus on solving the real long term problems of the company. Creating new little widgets and redesigning the site every 6 months won't solve the company's problems. If you really want to be a good place to work, make legitimate steps to keep employees from working for more than a year or 2.

Competitive Salary, Lead by Politics, Pathetic Work Culture and Life/Work Balance.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive Salary
    Free Food
    Nice work Location
    Very very few Good people to work with(If ur lucky)

Consmiserable Work/Life balance.
    Work driven by ur contacts and Politics.
    Promotion heavily dependent on how happy u keep the higher mgmt.
    No room for growth.
    People treated like labours.
    Overtime is considered as pride and once's primary responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please please come to ground floor and see what a mess the workers are in.

good pay but a ton of false promises, lies, long hours for the employees

Cambridge, MA

Prosgood pay, free gym and food, opportunity to learn new skills fast, chance to work with young people with bright ideas.

Consvery long work hours every day of the week, people are treated as slaves, huge intake of foreign nationals so that they can be treated as slaves and cant complain. number of American hires is declining everyday. very high turnover rate, no bonus/raise at the end of a profitable year even after promises, false promises, unfair promotions, favoritism shown towards a few employees even though they have no talent.

Advice to Senior Managementstop lying to your own employees. you can get away doing that in-front of new employees right out of college but people who have been here for 6 months or more know exactly when they are being lied to as we all know our internal numbers.

do something to retain the talent that is here and stop acting like you wont be affected the talented and skilled people leave.

the mgmt should stop pushing employees all the time to put in long hours. focus should be on what you put in the hours and not how many hours a person stays in office.

Next Jump - Great company to learn a lot and grow.

Cambridge, MA

ProsNext Jump is one of the best places I have worked so far. If you have hunger to build great applications, new products, great technology and fast paced where you see things going live very fast, this is best place to be at. The company is really great with respect to people who work with you, senior managers, and I have learnt tons of stuff here.

Their business model is so unique and I have acquired tremendous knowledge about their business and at the same time worked on tech products that make a great impact in the business. For the time I have been here got to work on plenty of technologies and also used a lot of open source technologies which works out very well for our need. If you have the great idea and very serious about working on a product that will make impact, this is the right place. This place gives opportunity to explore your potential and help learn a lot and grow. My goal is to work hard when I am young and learn a lot, so this I am liking this company a lot.

ConsIf you are not prepared for challenges, very frank reviews, open comments this is not the right place for you. It is not easy to meet with senior managers often, since they are busy most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen we are working towards big goals we will face lot of challenges both internal and external. Just we need to focus and work hard towards our big goals.

Eh

Boston, MA

ProsNext jump seems like a really cool place to work and they get really talented people to work there. Great Business model.

ConsThe leadership of the company is terrible. There is no hierarchy it starts and ends with about three people who make all of the decisions.

Programmers burn out in less than a year on average

Unrealistic goals - the ceo has never coded in his life yet thinks he understands

terrible code base

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be a top tier company start acting like one. Treat your employees properly and expect them to want to have a work - home balance. Expecting 14 hour days without warning is not appropriate.

Worked for Next Jump? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Next Jump reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Next Jump CEO Charlie Kim. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Next Jump employees.