Next Retail

Next Retail Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Next Retail Chief Executive Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise

Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise

Great first job to learn about how to talk to customers.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Basingstoke, England (UK)

ProsNext Retail was really good to learn about self confidence and how to talk to customers. Also, the training was always provided in a hands on way to be able to learn more.

ConsHowever, during the holiday times I found that parking in the town centre was costing a fair amount then working to pay the parking off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management was very good however, would of liked a bit more one to one training.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeeting new people, gaining customer service experience and teamwork experience which helps when applying for future jobs where good communication, teamwork etc are necessary

ConsUnfair distribution of work, unfair treatment of staff- some managers were quick to get you in trouble for things they themselves were in fact doing.

Stock room assistant

Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee)
    Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

ProsGreat job to start off in if you are young and want to gain a little experience

ConsYou are not dealing with customers on a daily basis so the job can get quite tedious

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heading in a bad direction for staff.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe level of training for staff is very good. Having worked for various retail stores, it was always nice to know that if I asked a member of staff to do something and I didn't know them, then they would usually know exactly what needed done.

ConsIt always felt clear to a lot of staff, even managers that I worked with at Area Manager level and about that next was becoming more and more concerned with getting as much money as they could without caring for how the staff were beginning to be treated. Every year we would have less and less staff and management. When I started in my department there was two managers and a supervisor, when I became supervisor of the same department, I was in charge of the department, even though our sales were higher than they had been when I had first begun there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it might appear okay on the surface, there is a lot of unhappiness in the company because a lot of the long serving staff feel they are being put under too much pressure.

Good company to work for

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood if you are a student, great way to get experience. Good staff discount and some great people who you get to work with

Conscant take holidays during july or december due to the sales and have no choice but to work them which can mean very early starts at the weekend

Amazing

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Harlow, England (UK)

ProsDiscount Card, Lovely Staff, Supportive Management, Great incentives. Excellent support system. Bonus system. Great customers who are very friendly. Great Hourly Rate! - Company car!

ConsRed weeks, EOSS, Working boxing day! 4.30 Starts! Late delivery divers! Limited hours, Small Contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are lovely! Very helpful. - Depends on what type of manager they are but most are out going

I love working for next retail

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent company to work for. Staff discount. Bonus scheme. Building great relationships with work colleagues. You get to learn loads about the product and how to seek it in order to maximise sales.

ConsWorking weekend... But who in retail doesn't. Can't have time off in red weeks, all of December, and two weeks in July. This is when the eoss is on. Also limited time of in September and March when they will hold their mss.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing she's fab.

Average, can move up quickly

Part Time Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsIt depends what store you work in but the people are lovely and try to create a place where you can voice your problems. You can quickly move up in the company if you put in the effort. If you work part time there plenty of opportunity for overtime so great for students.

ConsPolicies and routines change a lot... And training can sometimes be a nightmare so you have to consistently remind higher management. The company expect a lot off of their staff with some things being impossible to complete. Stockrooms are a nightmare and there's not a lot of space so it always ends up a mess.

Enjoyable

ProsGood career progression if work hard, Management generally communicate well with all staff members. All staff members are easy to get on with

ConsCan forget that with a student workforce, overtime not always appreciated especially around exam time. Sale time has too much pressure

Horrible

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsThey give good staff discount and uniform allowance. Booking time off and contracts were good.

ConsI started when I was 17, I was therefore only ever considered as someone who was young with no aspirations of going higher. I hoped to work my way up into merit sales and did all the necessary requirements but a year later I was still waiting. Sale times are very stressful. Training is not very good and does not adequately prepare you. Manager showed no respect for staff and I was often left alone on the floor, leaving high security risks. Often spoken to in a rude manner. My contract day changed and I was not informed of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training.
    Ensure respect is shown so that all members of staff feel valued.
    Improve fairness and progression opportunities, for all ages.

Worked for Next Retail? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Next Retail reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Next Retail CEO Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Next Retail employees.