Next Retail Reviews

Next Retail Chief Executive Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise
Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise

Great Company

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

There was a good rate of pay, good hours and lovely people.

Cons

if in school they do ask for quite a lot of hours so if you are juggling exams and work it is a difficult place to work for.

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

Meeting new people, gaining customer service experience and teamwork experience which helps when applying for future jobs where good communication, teamwork etc are necessary

Cons

Unfair distribution of work, unfair treatment of staff- some managers were quick to get you in trouble for things they themselves were in fact doing.

Overall a great company

Current Employee - Area Display Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Area Display Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company treat staff well, rewarded for working well, good benefits and higher pay then most retail brands. All employees are kind and managers understand the importance of work life balance. Fantastic Christmas party

Cons

Not a lot of space for promotion due to the amount of people who don't leave as the company is very good to employees.

Look at promotion possibilities and skills set of individuals who could be better suited in other departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked both as a sales assistant and in the stockroom.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Stockroom Assistant  in  Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Stockroom Assistant in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is very good, 25% off which can also be used by immediate family members, as well as a once per season 75% off for uniform. While keeping busy with various tasks on the shop floor can make the hours go by quickly, talking to and helping customers is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the job. My immediate managers on the shop floor we very nice and were happy to talk to you as a person and not just an employee as some of the higher up managers did. For performing well and helping customers management notices and give you gift cards if you deserve them.

Cons

Working in the stockroom is an absolute nightmare! Shipment tubs are all scanned on to a computer and rigidly timed for everyone to complete tasks which really rushes the pace of the work unnecessarily and makes the day long and stressful due to unrealistic time restrictions on tasks. Everybody is graded on productivity for the week and there is competition for a meaningless statistic. Managers in the stockroom are very obnoxious and patronising. Boxing day and summer sales must be worked by all employees and there are hundreds of customers which can make the day hectic.

Consider training staff fully and give advice on the most efficient way of doing something before setting them timed tasks on their own, and being frustrated with them when they don't meet the standards you expect.

Nice company to work with

Former Employee - International Advisor  in  Enderby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - International Advisor in Enderby, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

stunning office, staff discounts, supportive teammates and training

Cons

not much clear guidelines to follow so you might make mistakes at the beginning

Good for a summer job

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff discount was of great use for myself, family and friends. 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount. A straightforward job where you knew at the start of the shift where you were working (e.g. children's department) and after a few shifts knew what associated tasks were for that day (e.g. stock takes, sales, clearing up etc).

Cons

They make you work the sales. The night before and the first two days of the sale you have to work and at no extra pay. The night before I was in until after 11pm (being over 18 they can make you work late). Luckily I didn't have the dreaded 6am shift, those who did left the store at 11:30pm with myself had a raw deal I felt. Sales are manic, but keep your head and you'll be fine on that level.

Could do with acknowledging staff more. High turnover rates make it easy to overlook the role we play. During sale season some managerial motivation and praise would have been appreciated.

Next plc

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Induction and training comprehensive. High quality product. The staff were happy and worked well as a team. Team meetings were useful.

Cons

Low staffing numbers and ladies floor manager useless. No real benefits or motivation to up or cross sell. Rotas were slow at being produced and very rigid.

Okay for retail, but in no way the best.

Current Employee - Team Coach  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Coach in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

25% staff discount
    Monthly bonuses

Cons

Made to work Boxing Day and Christmas Eve.
    Cut hours in the drop of a hat.
    Low wage.

Look after your existing employees first.

Hahahaha. Awful.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Exeter, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Erm.... Discount for uniform, discounts

Cons

Awful company to work for. Glad I left. After 6 years you would think they would treat you as a valuable member or stff but no. If I didn't hand my notice in I would of been fired FOR BEING SIGNED OFF!!!!!! (Assistant store manga get even told me that) despite my doctors note.

Would seriously consider treating staff better. More praise instead of having so much negativity.
    Staff that have been signed off, for good reason too, you might want to help and understand where they are coming from and be a bit more passionate not to drive them away and hand their notice in.

Stock room assistant

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant  in  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to start off in if you are young and want to gain a little experience

Cons

You are not dealing with customers on a daily basis so the job can get quite tedious

Worked for Next Retail? Contribute to the Community!