Next Retail Reviews

Updated August 10, 2014

3.3

Next Retail Chief Executive Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise
Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise

Nice company to work with

Former Employee - International Advisor  in  Enderby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - International Advisor in Enderby, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

stunning office, staff discounts, supportive teammates and training

Cons

not much clear guidelines to follow so you might make mistakes at the beginning

Next plc

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Induction and training comprehensive. High quality product. The staff were happy and worked well as a team. Team meetings were useful.

Cons

Low staffing numbers and ladies floor manager useless. No real benefits or motivation to up or cross sell. Rotas were slow at being produced and very rigid.

Hahahaha. Awful.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Exeter, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Erm.... Discount for uniform, discounts

Cons

Awful company to work for. Glad I left. After 6 years you would think they would treat you as a valuable member or stff but no. If I didn't hand my notice in I would of been fired FOR BEING SIGNED OFF!!!!!! (Assistant store manga get even told me that) despite my doctors note.

Would seriously consider treating staff better. More praise instead of having so much negativity.
    Staff that have been signed off, for good reason too, you might want to help and understand where they are coming from and be a bit more passionate not to drive them away and hand their notice in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for a summer job

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff discount was of great use for myself, family and friends. 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount. A straightforward job where you knew at the start of the shift where you were working (e.g. children's department) and after a few shifts knew what associated tasks were for that day (e.g. stock takes, sales, clearing up etc).

Cons

They make you work the sales. The night before and the first two days of the sale you have to work and at no extra pay. The night before I was in until after 11pm (being over 18 they can make you work late). Luckily I didn't have the dreaded 6am shift, those who did left the store at 11:30pm with myself had a raw deal I felt. Sales are manic, but keep your head and you'll be fine on that level.

Could do with acknowledging staff more. High turnover rates make it easy to overlook the role we play. During sale season some managerial motivation and praise would have been appreciated.

Stock room assistant

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant  in  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to start off in if you are young and want to gain a little experience

Cons

You are not dealing with customers on a daily basis so the job can get quite tedious

Heading in a bad direction for staff.

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The level of training for staff is very good. Having worked for various retail stores, it was always nice to know that if I asked a member of staff to do something and I didn't know them, then they would usually know exactly what needed done.

Cons

It always felt clear to a lot of staff, even managers that I worked with at Area Manager level and about that next was becoming more and more concerned with getting as much money as they could without caring for how the staff were beginning to be treated. Every year we would have less and less staff and management. When I started in my department there was two managers and a supervisor, when I became supervisor of the same department, I was in charge of the department, even though our sales were higher than they had been when I had first begun there.

Although it might appear okay on the surface, there is a lot of unhappiness in the company because a lot of the long serving staff feel they are being put under too much pressure.

Great first job to learn about how to talk to customers.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Next Retail was really good to learn about self confidence and how to talk to customers. Also, the training was always provided in a hands on way to be able to learn more.

Cons

However, during the holiday times I found that parking in the town centre was costing a fair amount then working to pay the parking off.

The management was very good however, would of liked a bit more one to one training.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good if you are a student, great way to get experience. Good staff discount and some great people who you get to work with

Cons

cant take holidays during july or december due to the sales and have no choice but to work them which can mean very early starts at the weekend

Amazing

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Harlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Harlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount Card, Lovely Staff, Supportive Management, Great incentives. Excellent support system. Bonus system. Great customers who are very friendly. Great Hourly Rate! - Company car!

Cons

Red weeks, EOSS, Working boxing day! 4.30 Starts! Late delivery divers! Limited hours, Small Contracts.

Management are lovely! Very helpful. - Depends on what type of manager they are but most are out going

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

They give good staff discount and uniform allowance. Booking time off and contracts were good.

Cons

I started when I was 17, I was therefore only ever considered as someone who was young with no aspirations of going higher. I hoped to work my way up into merit sales and did all the necessary requirements but a year later I was still waiting. Sale times are very stressful. Training is not very good and does not adequately prepare you. Manager showed no respect for staff and I was often left alone on the floor, leaving high security risks. Often spoken to in a rude manner. My contract day changed and I was not informed of it.

Improve training.
    Ensure respect is shown so that all members of staff feel valued.
    Improve fairness and progression opportunities, for all ages.

Worked for Next Retail? Contribute to the Community!