Next Retail Reviews

3.4

Next Retail Chief Executive Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise
Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise

Stock room assistant

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant  in  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to start off in if you are young and want to gain a little experience

Cons

You are not dealing with customers on a daily basis so the job can get quite tedious

Heading in a bad direction for staff.

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The level of training for staff is very good. Having worked for various retail stores, it was always nice to know that if I asked a member of staff to do something and I didn't know them, then they would usually know exactly what needed done.

Cons

It always felt clear to a lot of staff, even managers that I worked with at Area Manager level and about that next was becoming more and more concerned with getting as much money as they could without caring for how the staff were beginning to be treated. Every year we would have less and less staff and management. When I started in my department there was two managers and a supervisor, when I became supervisor of the same department, I was in charge of the department, even though our sales were higher than they had been when I had first begun there.

Although it might appear okay on the surface, there is a lot of unhappiness in the company because a lot of the long serving staff feel they are being put under too much pressure.

Great first job to learn about how to talk to customers.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Next Retail was really good to learn about self confidence and how to talk to customers. Also, the training was always provided in a hands on way to be able to learn more.

Cons

However, during the holiday times I found that parking in the town centre was costing a fair amount then working to pay the parking off.

The management was very good however, would of liked a bit more one to one training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good if you are a student, great way to get experience. Good staff discount and some great people who you get to work with

Cons

cant take holidays during july or december due to the sales and have no choice but to work them which can mean very early starts at the weekend

Amazing

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Harlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Harlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount Card, Lovely Staff, Supportive Management, Great incentives. Excellent support system. Bonus system. Great customers who are very friendly. Great Hourly Rate! - Company car!

Cons

Red weeks, EOSS, Working boxing day! 4.30 Starts! Late delivery divers! Limited hours, Small Contracts.

Management are lovely! Very helpful. - Depends on what type of manager they are but most are out going

Average, can move up quickly

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Manager  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It depends what store you work in but the people are lovely and try to create a place where you can voice your problems. You can quickly move up in the company if you put in the effort. If you work part time there plenty of opportunity for overtime so great for students.

Cons

Policies and routines change a lot... And training can sometimes be a nightmare so you have to consistently remind higher management. The company expect a lot off of their staff with some things being impossible to complete. Stockrooms are a nightmare and there's not a lot of space so it always ends up a mess.

I love working for next retail

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Next Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Staff discount. Bonus scheme. Building great relationships with work colleagues. You get to learn loads about the product and how to seek it in order to maximise sales.

Cons

Working weekend... But who in retail doesn't. Can't have time off in red weeks, all of December, and two weeks in July. This is when the eoss is on. Also limited time of in September and March when they will hold their mss.

Nothing she's fab.

Enjoyable

I have been working at Next Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good career progression if work hard, Management generally communicate well with all staff members. All staff members are easy to get on with

Cons

Can forget that with a student workforce, overtime not always appreciated especially around exam time. Sale time has too much pressure

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

They give good staff discount and uniform allowance. Booking time off and contracts were good.

Cons

I started when I was 17, I was therefore only ever considered as someone who was young with no aspirations of going higher. I hoped to work my way up into merit sales and did all the necessary requirements but a year later I was still waiting. Sale times are very stressful. Training is not very good and does not adequately prepare you. Manager showed no respect for staff and I was often left alone on the floor, leaving high security risks. Often spoken to in a rude manner. My contract day changed and I was not informed of it.

Improve training.
    Ensure respect is shown so that all members of staff feel valued.
    Improve fairness and progression opportunities, for all ages.

Fantastic experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent management who were supportive and nurturing.
    Fantastic training that was thorough, well designed and executed with excellent follow up support.
    Varied job roles and excellent opportunities for progression.
    Cared about your own development and objectives and provided opportunities to reach these for those willing to put in the time and effort.
    Great pay - excellent bonus, monthly and seasonally.
    Great concessions - 25% discount, Staff Shop access and VIP Sale.
    Good long term support and appraisals.
    Overall - great, fun and lively working culture, sometimes damaged by business changes.

Cons

Constantly changing goalposts.
    A lot of pressure on staff which can affect morale.
    Difficult to get time off and unrealistic management of holidays.
    High degree of flexibility and resilience required.

More considerate management of employees with regards to holiday, disputes etc.

Worked for Next Retail? Contribute to the Community!