Next Retail

Updated February 1, 2015
3.2

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
  • The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there (in 16 reviews)

• 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The shift patterns are 3 hour shifts for part timers and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

• Too strict, many changes in managers and no real prospects for promotion (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail (less than a year)

Pros

Discount and friendly employees

Cons

Long hours and not being appreciated for your work, no respect.

I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

My manager was understanding and everybody was easy to get on with.
    Team work was key so you were rarely blamed personally for targets not being met.
    Online system for rota and holidays which is very good.
    Holidays were almost always granted, and if not shift swaps or negotiations were allowed.
    Always opportunity for extra hours.

Cons

The role itself was very laborious and repetitive.

Christmas bonus should be more evenly spread across shop floor and stockroom workers.

It was okay, social life was affected due to unsociable hours.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good salary and benefits including monthly bonus.

Cons

Management and how you weren't allowed to 'moan'.

Listen to your staff and help with their queries.

Interesting

Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are great. All lovely and fine to get on with, from the product systems teams to the kitchen staff, there's a great sense of camaraderie.

Cons

There is also a culture, particularly in product teams, to work inexplicably long hours. People regularly work 10-12 hour days because the workload is high. This would be understandable if there were certain weeks of the year where things slowed; but this isn't the case (with the exception of christmas)

If people seem overworked and drained from long hours, they probably are. A lot of departments could be vastly imporved if only they had an admin to free up more of their time to do their job.

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Temporay) in Tralee (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Temporay) in Tralee (Ireland)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Simplistic screening process means that time spent on R&S is limited. Good for candidates who don't have time for drawn out recruitment processes.
    - Management and staff are friendly and approachable for the most part.
    - The staff discount would be beneficial to those interested in NEXT products.

Cons

- Very little communication from management regarding work attire, working hours, break periods, etc. And while a company ishould display this information on the likes of a noticeboard for staff viewing, ours was blocked from view by an amount of boxes and storage equipment lying in the canteen.
    - Hours fluctuate wildly for part-timers. One can expect 20 hours on Sunday and on Monday find their hours cut down to 8-9 hours with no satisfactory explanation. This leaves no possibility to accurately budget for one's expenses during the period.
    - The store I was employed in also appeared to hire far too many temporary staff which resulted in reduced hours for all involved. It really did seem as though management favoured quantity of staff over quality of hours with regard to the seasonal budget. Needless to say you had more than a small amount of social loafing as a result. At once stage there were four people doing recovering of items in an area of the store where ONE person would struggle to find work to do for longer than an hour.
    - Staff morale appeared to be quite poor. The leading topic of conversation during my time there was nearly always related to staff's unhappiness with their working hours and the inflexibility of management. It struck me as ironic that while the full-timers were denied reduced working hours over Christmas, the temporary staff were having their hours continuously cut over that same period. Is the function of temporary staff not to supplement the existing workforce during seasonal periods?
    - Lack of communication between management and supervisors. On my first day of a 7.00 - 14.00 shift, the team leader was shocked to see so many temporary workers and mentioned repeatedly that he had no idea there were going to be so many of us working that day. He then struggled to find us all something to work on, resulting in most of us finishing up three hours before our shift was due to finish. This was not his fault, just a result of lack of basic communication between management regarding how many people would be reporting to him that day.
    - No furnishment of actual employment contract! This is a basic work entitlement, and the fact that NEXT chose not to provide any temporary staff with it shows a disregard on their part for an individual's basic and psychological contract needs. It also resulted in numerous part-timers querying everything from their basic pay to their work hours to their work attire. Had a contract actually been provided to individuals, it likely would have resulted in far less ambiguity. In less than two weeks, most temporary staff had joined the ranks of those openly voicing their discontent for their working hours.
    - The means by which the temporary staff found out they had worked their last day with NEXT was when we clocked out at the end of our shift and a message came up on the till stating "You have just completed your final day of contractual employment with NEXT. Thank you for your contribution." I later asked a member of store management if this was the case as we were told verbally that we were not due to finish for another five days, but she confirmed that what was said on the till was correct. I was grateful that the till at least had between fortright with me and had thanked me for my work.

- Understand that you have a psychological contract with your workforce. Breaching this with a new employee will only serve to enable cynicism and contagion among your staff. Recognise the basic processes outlined above that can result in your employees speaking favorably about you as an employer.
    - Look at altering your staff model when it comes to seasonal periods such as Christmas - yes you brought on 25 - 30 people to work for you for several weeks, but all of those had their hours cut when demand for staff was low (ie. every other day besides St. Stephen's Day, and even then the turnout was underwhelming). Would it not be better served to have half as many staff with twice as many hours? It would certainly help with regard to keeping track of them all and not acting surprised when so many of them show up ready to work one day.
    - Investigate the possible causes of malcontent within your existing workforce: I as a new employee was quite surprised to hear staff being so vocal with their disatisfaction of NEXT policies. New employeees will pick up on this and follow suit. I didn't see any kind of "suggestion box" lying around - perhaps this would be a better outlet for their opinions?

It is hard at first but when you get used to it, it gets better.

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

- Hours
    - Staff discount
    - people

Cons

- bonus is based on mystery shop results

Very welcoming and friendly staff

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

Everyone was helpful and i new what was expected of me at all times, i was never lost whilst working for them.

Cons

Only i was only a temp and was not given enough shifts

Give more shifts out

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is very little in terms of positives. The only thing I would say is that perhaps if you are at College or something looking for part-time hours, it's a good way to get a taste of the lower end of the job market.

Cons

A typical day at Next will consist of mind-numbingly menial tasks such as putting out endless pairs of jeans, followed by being moaned at by your 17 year old line manager for not putting them out in precisely the correct manner. Luckily you won't get too much of this from the senior management, as they rarely ever show their faces on the shop floor, I imagine they consider themselves far too important for such trivial matters.

If you do decide to work for Next then you'd better not make any plans outside of work...ever. They seem to change your work rota on a daily basis, in one instance my shift was changed a matter of hours before I was due to be in. Also, be prepared for baffling and draconian rules, such as not using the escalator to get to the stock room, I guess that returning out of breath 15 minutes later with a customer's item is more professional than using an escalator, who knew?

As for the famous staff discount, I was told I would have to wait about a month for it. Furthermore, if you are full time your 'allowance' is about £200 (Approx) with 75% off, this means you still have to cough up £50 of your own money for uniform, which is no small sum when you are on Next wages; more commonly known as minimum wage. Avoid this place like the plague, even for a low paid job they are an incredibly poor employer.

Maybe at least consider staff and their welfare, not solely profits.

Surprisingly bad

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Discount.
    First dibs on Sale.
    Company has good reputation in general with the public.
    99% of customers are really pleasant.
    Having a nice, presentable uniform.
    Getting paid correctly so far, just over minimum wage.
    Paid induction.
    Really good online employee portal.
    Some staff members are nice (but after reading some reviews on here they are probably two faced; I hope not).

Cons

Being spoken to and patronised like a child, I have also learnt not to ask for help anymore, as you just get looked down on, treat like you're stupid and expected to know everything from the off, which makes you look stupid in front of the customers.
    I can't believe from the other reviews I've read that it happens in nearly every store, I expected better.
    Being ignored, dehydration, feeling useless most of the time.

Happy staff are much more important than you think.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Nothing to say positive to say. The mangement is rude arrogant I hated working there

Cons

Staff turnover
    Rude management
    Management are unprofessional
    Just horrible place to work

Train the management better

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo