Next Retail Reviews

Reset
3.2
Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
  • They give good staff discount and uniform allowance (in 16 reviews)

• Great team good discount good shares have scheme (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • part timers can only do 20 hours (in 3 reviews)

• No real benefits or motivation to up or cross sell (in 3 reviews)

1. .

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

Pros

Plenty of overtime available and chance to take on extra shifts especially around Christmas.

Cons

Most contracts are only temporary.

2. Working at Next

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Chichester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Chichester, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Discount on clothes, friendly staff

Cons

It was fun. The people I worked with were very hardworking , friendly and really supportive. The stockroom was always busy so shifts went by so quickly

3. Bad management led to an unpleasant work environment

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity for overtime - Staff discount good - Bonus scheme led to nice surprises some months

Cons

- Rude managers who chose to treat younger staff like dirt - Once locked in store whilst setting up for sale. Shift was due to end at 10pm and expecting to run over I had arranged a lift from my parents at 11pm. However, when this time came I was unable to leave and manager got particularly angry when I explained my reason for needing to leave rather than be able to stay. I was expected to be in store again at 4.45am. - I started as a temp but ended up working for just over a year. It took the store a long time to actually train me because of this. I would have expected to be trained properly as soon as the busy Christmas season ended but this didn't occur until around May. - Took a long time for the store to sort out uniform allowance for me, everything seemed very disorganised

Advice to Management

Get rid of 4 hour contracts, even as a sixth form student I required 8 hours to support myself so relied on overtime. Switching job role ~once an hour wasteful of human resources. Plan your sale so that staff can actually sleep before their 5am, 9 hour shift.

5. OK

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Online marketplace where shifts can easily be exchanged. Quite an easy job to get without any experience.

Cons

Full training takes a while for part time staff if you prefer working on the weekends as they don't train you when its busy. Many new and temporary staff feel left out and leave. Managers have no sympathy towards staff who are students and will repeatedly give shifts that you cannot work despite being told multiple times.

Advice to Management

Include all staff even temporary staff within the training and outside social events. Train all staff to the required level. Take into account that when you hire students they may be unable to work mid week shifts.

6. Next Retail.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Next Retail full-time

Pros

Discount, quick progression if good, good bonus.

Cons

Expected to do a lot more than your job role. End of season sale. Long hours.

7. Stockroom Assistant

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours Friendly staff Monthly bonus Easy tasks Opportunities to get involved in other aspects of the company such as stock take, sale preparation and stock recall.

Cons

Small contract and basic pay. Repetitive tasks with strict time limits. Physically draining work. Early starts. Management make decisions to make shop floor staff have an easier time (because bonuses are dependant on their performance during customer experience visits) - these decisions make delivery tasks harder eg leaving cubes on hangers. New system of working solo is fine but new employees will struggle at first and there is nowhere near enough space for everyone to have an individual work station - health and safety implications.

Advice to Management

Consider all members of staff when making decisions. Shop floor staff do not have productivity targets to meet on scanners whereas delivery staff do. Try to understand the pressure we are under to meet targets.

8. Friendly staff, a company that is motivated by delivering outstanding customer service.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is doing very well so your job is secure here. You get bonuses every month (£20-60) if you get two 100% customer experience visits. Staff are friendly and if you're a hard worker you will progress quickly in the company.

Cons

You start as temporary part time staff. Sometimes you get given 3 hour shifts which is pointless if you have to get a bus or drive there. Don't get paid enough for the work you have to do and how well the company is doing compared to every other retail company, we should be entitled to more.

9. Great next

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

Friendly staff, okay pay, great experience.

Cons

Very busy and at times difficult during busy hours. Aka Christmas

Advice to Management

None

10. sale support team

Pros

working in the next in london westfield was a good experience especially if its your first job. Learnt the basics of working in a fashion retailer

Cons

however there were long hours, alot of work to do so you have to be really fit and eager to finish the job

Advice to Management

idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk idk vidk idk

11. Really unpleasant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview was easy and the process from interview to actual employment was really fast. Thankfully some colleagues were really pleasant and made it bearable.

Cons

Bad management, no team spirit whatsoever. Had problems with tax. Really unorganised. Lots of accidents waiting to happen.

RSS Feed </> Embed