Next Retail

www.next.co.uk
Profile Unclaimed

Terrible - Bristol Cribbs Causeway Mall store

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You get 25% discount
    -Uniform allowance is very good
    -Products are very nice
    -Rota system is very good as you can view from home.

Cons

They are very manipulative, they will always step over your hours especially if you're under 18 as you are cheaper to bring in.

Higher Archy system is well set, if you're new or temporary you're treated like pure scum being given terrible jobs and spoken to like a degenerate.

Managers have no respect for other employees, and will always feel like they're having a go at you. (Only recently were they fighting in there Christmas party).

People who are there longer or more well known tend to be bullies and act like they're managers as they lounge around or flirt with other member of staffs.

You have no flexibility at all, if they give you a shift put of your availability you're expected to work it. Many people have quit working for next as they are failing A levels due to work load from next.

Customer are quite aggressive and annoying, on various occasions I have seen girls leaving shop floor crying due to horrible customers.

Stop acting like you're posh and all high and mighty. Take your employees feeling and thoughts in to considerations.

Surprisingly bad

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Discount.
    First dibs on Sale.
    Company has good reputation in general with the public.
    99% of customers are really pleasant.
    Having a nice, presentable uniform.
    Getting paid correctly so far, just over minimum wage.
    Paid induction.
    Really good online employee portal.
    Some staff members are nice (but after reading some reviews on here they are probably two faced; I hope not).

Cons

Being spoken to and patronised like a child, I have also learnt not to ask for help anymore, as you just get looked down on, treat like you're stupid and expected to know everything from the off, which makes you look stupid in front of the customers.
    I can't believe from the other reviews I've read that it happens in nearly every store, I expected better.
    Being ignored, dehydration, feeling useless most of the time.

Happy staff are much more important than you think.

My experience

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Prague (Czech Republic)

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

A goog opporunity to earn some pocket money as a part-time worker.
    Communication with people(in some cases)

Cons

Poor management organization
    Low salaries (in comparison with other shops)

Speaking about Prague NEXT shops: to organize your management well, try to see howthe situation looks like from the view of your workers, not just like you want it to be.

Very interesting, Learnt a lot within Fashion Retail and have become highly knowledgeable in this sector of work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff, Good learning product knowledge and the hours are flexible, a good first job and made great friends.

Cons

There is no progressions within the company personally and I feel your not rewarded very well for the efforts you put in.

Making training more priority as I had to teach myself at some points by watching other staff members with experience.

Good experience for customer service

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Train new people, good discount, good friends and support from colleagues and management, good flexibility of working hours if part time

Cons

Sale prep can be stressful but works out in the end

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is very little in terms of positives. The only thing I would say is that perhaps if you are at College or something looking for part-time hours, it's a good way to get a taste of the lower end of the job market.

Cons

A typical day at Next will consist of mind-numbingly menial tasks such as putting out endless pairs of jeans, followed by being moaned at by your 17 year old line manager for not putting them out in precisely the correct manner. Luckily you won't get too much of this from the senior management, as they rarely ever show their faces on the shop floor, I imagine they consider themselves far too important for such trivial matters.

If you do decide to work for Next then you'd better not make any plans outside of work...ever. They seem to change your work rota on a daily basis, in one instance my shift was changed a matter of hours before I was due to be in. Also, be prepared for baffling and draconian rules, such as not using the escalator to get to the stock room, I guess that returning out of breath 15 minutes later with a customer's item is more professional than using an escalator, who knew?

As for the famous staff discount, I was told I would have to wait about a month for it. Furthermore, if you are full time your 'allowance' is about £200 (Approx) with 75% off, this means you still have to cough up £50 of your own money for uniform, which is no small sum when you are on Next wages; more commonly known as minimum wage. Avoid this place like the plague, even for a low paid job they are an incredibly poor employer.

Maybe at least consider staff and their welfare, not solely profits.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Nothing to say positive to say. The mangement is rude arrogant I hated working there

Cons

Staff turnover
    Rude management
    Management are unprofessional
    Just horrible place to work

Train the management better

Used like a skivvy

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Blackburn, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Blackburn, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good staff discount good customer service generous uniform discount some new staff nice good product range

Cons

Well what can I say possibly the worse place I've ever worked did 8 weeks on a temp 6 hour contract and believe me the experience was not nice!
    Training minimal you get someone saying I will show you the till it gets busy and your left on your own
    The employee learning portal hardly ever works from home
    The temp staff are bossed around by the permanent staff you get all the rubbish jobs while they stand round chatting
    If you ask for help because you don't know you get abuse you should know this have they not shown you etc etc
    The stockroom staff are bully's getting the women to do all the hard jobs like ripping open boxes while they put clothes on hangers
    The performance review well you only got two stars because you were off sick so we will punish you by not offering you any extra shifts
    The managers delegate and do next to nothing
    The stock room is a mess with a filing system that doesn't work for anyone
    There are no breaks if your on a 4 hour shifts try workung four hours with no water it defys mazlows basic levels sorry for that doing a degree
    And if you dare to go toilet you are slated for leaving your staff members either that or they say to you as you going in toilet is your shift over!
    You can be serving a big queue next thing that happens someone will shout at you tidy this till up put that stick out before you have chance to catch your breath
    There is no organisation you can be on menswear quite happy working then it's get to children's wear we are busy you get there they aren't busy its lazy full time permanent staff saying get that stock out
    All in all if you want to be treated like dirt and be prepared to get all the rotten jobs and treated like a skivvy and spoke to like dirt work for next !!!

You need to clean your act up

Great company to work for, perfect job when I was a student.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible around studies, great social life outside of work with colleagues and the 25% staff discount.

Cons

Part-time staff were expected to work ALL bank holidays. I worked every single bank holiday in 5 years and when I requested one off for a family function I was refused.

Treat part-time student staff more like the full time permanent staff and you will get more out of them.

Pretty Decent...

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Staff discount is decent, they don't take advantage of their staff and give good breaks.

Cons

The many rude and snobby customers I was forced to grin and bare and also having to get up at 4:30am on boxing day.

n/a

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo