Next Retail

3.2

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Stock room assistant

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job to start off in if you are young and want to gain a little experience

Cons

You are not dealing with customers on a daily basis so the job can get quite tedious

Heading in a bad direction for staff.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The level of training for staff is very good. Having worked for various retail stores, it was always nice to know that if I asked a member of staff to do something and I didn't know them, then they would usually know exactly what needed done.

Cons

It always felt clear to a lot of staff, even managers that I worked with at Area Manager level and about that next was becoming more and more concerned with getting as much money as they could without caring for how the staff were beginning to be treated. Every year we would have less and less staff and management. When I started in my department there was two managers and a supervisor, when I became supervisor of the same department, I was in charge of the department, even though our sales were higher than they had been when I had first begun there.

Although it might appear okay on the surface, there is a lot of unhappiness in the company because a lot of the long serving staff feel they are being put under too much pressure.

Unpredictable hours, and cruel mannered.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're always guarenteed atleast 4 hours a week, and get a good store discount.

Cons

Very disrespectful, I got no appreciation for what I did. The management was terrible. I got given hours last minute, without any pre-warning. I never got given the hours I was contracted for. I also got given hours, that I had previously stated 3 times, I could not work. I was made to work in environments that should not be permitted due to health and safety legislations. I was made to work after I had teeth taken out and was in pain. I was getting shouted at for issues that weren't my fault, but the fault of the staff from the previous day/shift. I finished my training on my last day of working. And finally, I was given my contract to sign 2 weeks before it ended.

Respect your staff, and don't make them feel 3 feet tall. Pre-warn staff on hours given and don't change them last minute. Ensure the training process is carried out appropriately and quickly. Organise yourselves better. Provide more opportunities for those who work hard and those wishing to excel within the business.

Great first job to learn about how to talk to customers.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Next Retail was really good to learn about self confidence and how to talk to customers. Also, the training was always provided in a hands on way to be able to learn more.

Cons

However, during the holiday times I found that parking in the town centre was costing a fair amount then working to pay the parking off.

The management was very good however, would of liked a bit more one to one training.

Nice experience

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice colleagues and store managers.
    Good salary.
    Easy job with no stress.

Cons

I had 8hr/w contract, They told me I would had worked much more hours because we were going to be very busy and it was true but not every week: I also worked 8 hours a week for 4 weeks in a row.
    The "scanners" for checking stock were also everyday out of order and and stockroom software doesn't work properly: the target is much higher than you can reach.
    Stockrooms small and packed.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good if you are a student, great way to get experience. Good staff discount and some great people who you get to work with

Cons

cant take holidays during july or december due to the sales and have no choice but to work them which can mean very early starts at the weekend

Amazing

Current Employee - Supervisor in Harlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Harlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount Card, Lovely Staff, Supportive Management, Great incentives. Excellent support system. Bonus system. Great customers who are very friendly. Great Hourly Rate! - Company car!

Cons

Red weeks, EOSS, Working boxing day! 4.30 Starts! Late delivery divers! Limited hours, Small Contracts.

Management are lovely! Very helpful. - Depends on what type of manager they are but most are out going

rewarding

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a company, you cannot fault Next for the Profesional way in which they strive to deliver the highest quality to every customer.

Cons

communication between departments could be improved

if management stick to procedures that they put in place, it is possible that there staff will follow procedures. and a look at the way deliveries are put together, as well as the way items are picked , could and will produce a great saving not to be sniffed at.

Friendly, happy, worthwhile

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses
    Community feel to the store

Cons

Leadership
    No overtime
    Long days when quiet

Consider allowing managers to work more paid overtime

The Worst place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there.

Cons

the management structure, management attitude and the staff turnover.

more understanding of students and part time staff

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo