Next Step Living Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Geoff Chapin

Pros
  • This company has a great mission behind what it strives to do (in 5 reviews)

• Great concept of using energy efficiency and free services as a lead generation machine for a home improvement company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still going through growing pains (in 12 reviews)

• Fixing poor customer service or doing quality work was not a priority (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great mission, great colleagues, lots of opportunity

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Next Step Living was founded to help homeowners live more comfortably and sustainably... while helping solve the climate crisis. It's fabulous to work for a company that is a model of how a for-profit company can be part of the solution to a global problem.

NSL has great opportunities to learn and grow. Many of the positions require little previous experience, but the ability to work hard (really hard!) and the desire to learn.

Cons

Working for a fast growing company means lots of change and ambiguity. On any given day your process may be turned upside down as we constantly seek to improve our process.

Advice to Management

Better communication! Front line employees need to hear more from management and leadership about what is changing and why.

May 15, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the thoughtful review. At Next Step Living, we find that what makes our culture so unique is the combination of having the growth and opportunity of a for-profit, with the heart and ... More

Great place to begin and develop a green-collar career - Hard work that will with huge rewards

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living

Pros

- Excellent environment for advancement and learning. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, expect to rise above your peers and be selected for new projects and gain valuable experiences.

-Management will recognize and invest in your talent if they see it. Sometimes you have to speak up to be heard but if you stand your ground and have a solid, well thought out idea it will be implemented or considered.

- Opportunities for young people to start a career in energy efficiency. Even in Boston - MA, the most energy efficient state in the country, opportunities for this are few and far between (especially for non-STEM educated individuals.) Use this experience wisely and never pass up offers to advance or develop

-Motivated and smart co-workers

Cons

-Pay can be on the lower end - but if you're working to start a career in energy and environment, the experience here will be worth more than they could ever pay you.

-Projects move quickly. Sometimes you will be working things out as you go. Learn to work under pressure and be flexible, and again, the experience will impress upon future employers (and especially your management at NSL)

Advice to Management

-Take projects a little slower. Sometimes moving quickly, while good for short-term business, can be detrimental to customers and business in the future. Even if things turn out fine the stress can wear on employee performance and negatively affect practices for the future.

home energy advisor

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Great company culture, flexible schedule, lots of transparency, incredible enthusiasm from managers.

Cons

Very high expectations and long hours which can interfere with personal time.

Inside Sales Departement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great upper level management that is willing to work with you to excel in your career. Also, you're making a huge impact on the environment. I would say this department is great for those looking to help the environment or increase their sales skills.

Cons

It's an ever changing department based on lead flow, contact hours, and performance. To work in this department, you must be open to change and willing to take feedback.

Advice to Management

Lately, management has worked to help prepare employees for changes to the company or the programs we participate it and I've really appreciated it. Please continue to do this and to have an open dialog about changes to our company.

Potential Employees beware - Lies, drugs and instability prevail

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Next Step Living (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission - I was, like most, seduced by the earnest mission at Next Step Living. I did meet some like-minded people and made friends I carried with me to my next solar job.

Cons

Shell, a dirty fossil fuel company, just invested money in the company. That should speak volumes! Lies, Lies and more Lies. If I could rate this place a zero, I would. I worked at Next Step for nearly 7 months and was ready to leave after 3 weeks. They are a bait and switch operation if I've ever seen one. Just as an example, they flash your commission plan on a screen at the beginning of each month, refuse to print it or give you a copy, and change their mind month (ALWAYS) to a lower amount. There is constant complaining and griping (deservedly) and the only people that stay either feel like it is there only job option or are there for the social benefits. They promote employees to manager as long as you are willing to grin and tow the party line. Drinking the koolaid is basically the only way to survive at this place, as anyone that speaks up is either let go (as seen by the third layoffs that took place two weeks ago) or does not get leads. It is a train wreck of a company! STAY AWAY unless you have literally no other options. Even then, Starbucks would be a huge improvement.

Advice to Management

Hire people with ethics and integrity. You might have a chance at keeping your staff and staying in business.

7. Outreach Event Representative

Former Employee - Outreach Event Representative in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Outreach Event Representative in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Next Step Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind of make your own hours, solar, energy efficiency, great pay incentives

Cons

young managers that do not know what they are doing, long hours for those in lower management

Not for slow movers, but rewarding if you love a challenge

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never a dull day (ever!), smart team that has a lot of great big ideas and is a powerhouse in its industry. Leadership is accessible and friendly, and there's often leftover food in the kitchen. Advancement is there for those who work for it and stay visible.

Cons

It can be a challenge keeping up with company's changing initiatives, and to succeed here you need to be able to figure out your *own* priorities and how they fit into the bigger picture. Conflicting internal priorities can make moving a project from start to finish take longer than expected.

Advice to Management

Process and protocol are your friends.

Jun 12, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your perspective. We are a dynamic company and we work at a fast pace. While this makes for an energized work environment and many opportunities for growth, it also means we must ... More

Fast paced, challenging, rewarding.

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely challenging. Intelligent management and coworkers. Dynamic - never a dull day. Fulfilling work. Incredible place to be if you enjoy hard work, learning, helping people, and if you care deeply about energy efficiency.

Cons

It's just not for everybody. There are plenty of stable, cushy, environments out there and that's important to many people. That's not what you get with NSL.

Advice to Management

Communication has only improved over the years. The focus on customer experience appears to be paying off for customers and NSL. Keep those things going.

May 28, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the great review. I’m glad you enjoy being a part of the Next Step Living team!

Hard work pays off

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Next Step Living is a rapidly growing, mission-oriented company that spends a great deal of time giving their employees the proper knowledge and training necessary for your success. Management and co-workers are extremely helpful and everyone is working toward the same goal of helping Mass residents become more energy efficient (and take advantage of all the great incentives out there!)

Cons

Depending on your role in the company, the job can be very time-consuming. On the flip side to that, your hard work will definitely pay off monetarily- and you get to know you did your part helping lower the carbon footprint.

May 28, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

I agree: At Next Step Living, hard work does pay off. Thanks for the review and your positive attitude. You’re clearly an asset to the Next Step Living team.

conscientious Company

Current Employee - Solar Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Solar Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training
    Committed to helping home owners save money and help the environment
    Company does the right thing with customers

Cons

Post 1 year employee company car, remove draw and replace with salary, and more 401 contribution

May 28, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your note; I appreciate the suggestions you’ve made here. While it would be great to be able to offer company cars, that’s a pretty hefty undertaking with nearly 70% of our employees based ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed