Next (UK)

Add Photos

Next (UK) CEO Simon Wolfson

Simon Wolfson

Challenging, rewarding work.

Picker/Packer (Former Employee) Pontefract, England (UK)

ProsGreat flexible atmosphere, overtime is often available, as are early finishes. Management are down-to-earth and there are many opportunities to move up and gain experience where you care to gain experience.
    Also, picking and packing bonuses are VERY rewarding and worth earning.
    Great canteen and services, too.

ConsWork can be hard and stressful, bonus scheme is not ENTIRELY fair (some batches can be harder than others with no compromise in KPIs). During Winter and Summer sales, working can be incredibly cramped and hot due to outsourced workers flooding in, also causing a shortage of supplies and some REALLY stressful times trying to balance bonus. Higher-up managers can be particularly blind to warehouse conditions and complaints.

Advice to Senior Management(To the higher management) Consider sympathising more with the problems of the lower down staff and try to improve speed at which problems are generally addressed to maximise efficiency ALL AROUND the warehouse.
    (And to floor managers) Should try to compliment staff more on hard work on tougher days, this will alleviate stress to NO END, sometimes even warehouse staff need a thanks for the hard work and effort they put in.

Unpredictable hours, and cruel mannered.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsYou're always guarenteed atleast 4 hours a week, and get a good store discount.

ConsVery disrespectful, I got no appreciation for what I did. The management was terrible. I got given hours last minute, without any pre-warning. I never got given the hours I was contracted for. I also got given hours, that I had previously stated 3 times, I could not work. I was made to work in environments that should not be permitted due to health and safety legislations. I was made to work after I had teeth taken out and was in pain. I was getting shouted at for issues that weren't my fault, but the fault of the staff from the previous day/shift. I finished my training on my last day of working. And finally, I was given my contract to sign 2 weeks before it ended.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your staff, and don't make them feel 3 feet tall. Pre-warn staff on hours given and don't change them last minute. Ensure the training process is carried out appropriately and quickly. Organise yourselves better. Provide more opportunities for those who work hard and those wishing to excel within the business.

Nice experience

Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNice colleagues and store managers.
    Good salary.
    Easy job with no stress.

ConsI had 8hr/w contract, They told me I would had worked much more hours because we were going to be very busy and it was true but not every week: I also worked 8 hours a week for 4 weeks in a row.
    The "scanners" for checking stock were also everyday out of order and and stockroom software doesn't work properly: the target is much higher than you can reach.
    Stockrooms small and packed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

rewarding

Loss Prevention (Current Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsAs a company, you cannot fault Next for the Profesional way in which they strive to deliver the highest quality to every customer.

Conscommunication between departments could be improved

Advice to Senior Managementif management stick to procedures that they put in place, it is possible that there staff will follow procedures. and a look at the way deliveries are put together, as well as the way items are picked , could and will produce a great saving not to be sniffed at.

Friendly, happy, worthwhile

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsBonuses
    Community feel to the store

ConsLeadership
    No overtime
    Long days when quiet

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider allowing managers to work more paid overtime

The Worst place I have ever worked.

Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there.

Consthe management structure, management attitude and the staff turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementmore understanding of students and part time staff

Good company but terrible coworkers at the branch I worked in.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood discount and other benefits, experience in interacting with customers and gaining retail experience. Great as a first job for a teen.

ConsTime off policies and terrible coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a good link with all your employees and improve performance reviews.

Flexible hours - low pay - limited progression after training - a good first job but other options if experienced

Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsStaff Discount 25% - I am at a very good shop, having worked at several and respect the management team overall, some managers are more flexible than others and encourage positive flexibility, but most are rather ridgid.

ConsManagement are a mixed bag from good to very smarmy - quite store dependent. Distribution pays better but very robotic. being a seasonal business forget quality Christmases or getting School Holidays off if below manager or Coordinator.

Advice to Senior Managementreinstate some of the benefits and consider more humane contracts - Van drivers paid the same as Sales consultants but effectively supervisors? The enhanced training is very good but perhaps some sort of incentive at the end of it.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Personal development and overall job satisfaction'

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsFlexible working hours , overtime , job security , ability to progress , good training scheme and positive appraisal system

ConsRecently reduced premium for working Boxing Day , poor security team meaning high stock loss, confusing till updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate current managers to ensure most competent staff are doing the job. Better trained call center support staff as they are unhelpful.

horrible treatment of employees

Supervisor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood promotion opportunities, beautiful childrenswear and some home merchandise, some nice co-workers, in some stores good customer service training.

Consconstantly cutting every employee benefit, giving random hours (short shifts not worth coming in for), cutting breaks, giving very little contract hours, then calling on the day and pressuring to take up shifts - as a result you have no life what so ever, because they will make you drop any plans you made to come to work at last moment. No choice in shifts, horrible mess in management - they put people down for shifts on the rota and don't inform them, then give them disciplinaries for not coming to work. Store and Operations Managers demand completely unreasonably high efficiency that threatens the health and well-being of the workers, you will always be frustrated, because there is no chance what so ever of ever reaching a target - sales or operations. Training is ridiculous - the videos seem to be suitable for mentally retarded people only.
    You feel like you are in a comma - every day is just running and running and running - no time to think, develop, improve, or God forbid innovate.
    No place for a thinking human being, hated it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect, create some non-patronising training that treats people with respect, develop new designs for womenswear, CREATE ACHIEVABLE TARGETS at least sometimes, so once in a blue moon someone can reach it - it's motivating. Unlike the constant failure to reach targets. Teach people creativity - this way they will sell more and have more fun. We are not robots.

Worked for Next (UK)? Contribute to the Community!