NextEra Energy, Inc.
www.nexteraenergy.com Juno Beach, FL 5000+ Employees

NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
NextEra Energy, Inc. – Marcus Hook – “exhaust fan blower”

NextEra Energy, Inc. President & CEO James L. Robo

James L. Robo

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance, along with a comparabale benefit package"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Awesome Company with great benefits and ability to learn as you go"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are very stressed because of the negative work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Growth within this company is based on friendship with senior management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is a large organization filled with middle and little opportunity for growth. Beware if you are looking for a job

Procurement Professional (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsAverage salary and benefits. Easy to get hired.

ConsPoor training and management care very little about the employees. Growth within this company is based on friendship with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your middle managers and seek out a consultant to review your training programs.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat first impression - nice location, great pay and plenty of cross functional areas from which to gain first-job experience. The company is financial sound and will be a profitable investment for years to come.

ConsHowever, the company functions like a well-oiled, process-oriented machine and it needs a lot cogs to keep it running optimally. Don't deviate or think outside the box. Most importantly, don't stay too long or your skills will become extinct because of limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDearth of solid management and leadership skills within the ranks. Management needs to energize employees, encourage innovation, professional respect and breathe some new life into this stodgy company.

Not much to say

Analyst (Current Employee)
    West Palm Beach, FL

ProsRead below for review. Not much to say here sadly.

ConsIF you have already taken an offer from NextEra, just ignore this comment and move along because your mind has already been made and I don't want to double guess your self,

IF however you have some other outstanding offers and your considering a role at NextEra, I would say PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!! WORST COMPANY ON THE PLANET. Managment treats you like crap and they overwork your for little pay. THIS IS ACROSS ALL DIVISIONS. I know some of you reading this might say "Well, that is your group but my boss is going to be nice!" -- YOUR A FOOL. This is how this company operates, they understaff and overwork employees, this is even as the stock has shot through the roof since 2008, so imagine what might happen if the economy/stock dips a little. Since I arrived, in my first 4 months, there were 2 coworkers that were fired and other employees from other adjacent groups were under review. They review all company groups every year to determine if they should be let go. Turnover is CRAZY. The job I took was of a guy fired two weeks before I started. They intentionally let go of people and demand others to pick up the slack.

Please!! I beg you, I get nothing for giving you this warning other than I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through. See the other flattering reviews below.

Advice to Senior ManagementSad.....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away! Or grin and bear it for experience and move on!

Finance (Current Employee)
    Juno Beach, FL

ProsNice facility and location. Most staff level folks are really nice.

ConsToo much to fit here... But overall: FPL places people in management positions based on who you know, period. These people are unfortunately not leaders... But rather folks who have no leadership experience and enjoy "power". a good company would recognize that these are not the type of individuals needed to lead a team and represent a company in a favorable manner. I have witnessed blatant disrespect and unprofessionalism by management and I was appalled that FPL would allow people like this to be in these types of positions. FPL "screams" very loudly about corporate values and doing the right thing. But I see this is used to cover up the fact that more often than not their management team is not doing the right thing. Most unfortunate that a company like this allows this behavior from their senior personnel. The company will lose good people... But they've shown they don't care about that. So to those that like a rational and respectful workplace... Good luck working at FPL!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake steps to ensure your managers are really doing the right thing. More than likely they're not. Not acting implies the company condones this behavior.

Profits are #1 and employees are a distant 2nd.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros-Salary was comparable to other utilities
    -Coworkers were supportive and worked hard

Cons-Severely understaffed and getting worse
    -Expectation of routine unpaid overtime
    -Career opputunities based on who you know not how hard you work
    -Pay and benefits are on the decline
    -Managers seem to just hang out together and not actually communicate with the people they are supposed to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say employees are #1 priority when you clearly don't mean it.
    Communicate the truth.

Good experience with exposure to many facets of gas/power trading, but bad work environment

Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee)
    Juno Beach, FL

Pros[RE: Power Marketing] There are some very talented individuals that start here with little industry experience. The employees at the lower levels doing the dirty work gain a lot of relevant experience in the energy trading realm.

ConsThe best people leave Florida for bigger and better opportunities. Management is very political and mid-upper level positions seem to be chosen without regard to competence. Some directors cannot do the job of those underneath them. The de-reg business (NEPM) hasn't lost the culture of a regulated utility (FPL). There's little competition in Florida for jobs in this industry, and hence, no motivation for the company to change or improve. Non-existent culture. Company values are only on paper; they're not practiced in reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect, trust, value, and incentivize your employees.

NextEra is an understaffed, demanding, and very political organization... that happens to have a good product.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Juno Beach, FL

Pros1. Excellent product (clean energy) that you can be proud of. Lots of wind and solar energy that is a counterbalance to traditional (and dirty) coal and oil based energy sources.
    2. The employees are mostly friendly and hardworking.
    3. The benefits package is pretty good, not the best, but slightly above industry average.

Cons1. By far the biggest problem is unrealistic work expectations from management. Expect to work very long hours as almost all projects have extremely tight deadlines. Your "daily work" (which can easily take up your entire day) is not supposed to interfere with other projects that have been assigned to you. There isn't much of a "work-life balance" here. In fact, it's almost non-existent (even though management claims to have made it a priority).
    2. Constant emergencies and crisis management. Even issues that aren't very important can become a crisis. You can easily fall into a rut of being a constant "fire-fighter". There is definitely a "the sky is falling" mentality here.
    3. Career advancement is very difficult. There are very few opportunities for advancement and even if you apply for one, you are unlikely to get it unless you have the right political connections within the organization. It's not about the work you do... it's about who you know. If you want to advance within this organization, it's not about the quantity or quality of work that you do, it's about who you've had lunch with or who's holiday party you attended.
    4. Office politics supersede everything. They supersede any established processes and favoritism is a big problem. A small issue, if associated with a politically connected department, will receive all the resources while a big issue, associated with a less politically connected department, will receive very few resources. You have to watch your back and even go out of your way to make "friends" with certain people just to protect your own interests within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is understaffed and almost everyone is overworked. It's difficult to feel dedicated to a company that treats their employees like NFL players... getting the most out of them for a few years and then tossing them aside. You must hire more people so that the workloads are more realistic. HR must do a much better job of policing the nepotism and the office politics. And lastly, there must be a way to fix the crisis management and the constant emergencies that exist within almost every department. Don't let an excellent product (clean energy) go to waste by not valuing the employees that work the long hours to make everything happen.

Good but no place to grow

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsThe pay was good, and they are flexible with the schedule,good job for students.

ConsNo room for growth, they make you believe that you can move up from customer service but really all you will growth is within customer service.

Be careful

Wind Technician II (Former Employee)
    Clovis, NM

ProsThe benefits are good. They prefer to promote from within.

ConsPunitive management. Not supportive. 4 out of 10 employees left this location over a period of 6 weeks all due to a new boss. 2 quit (most senior staff) due to individual after 10 years. One current employee scared to death to say anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone reports a problem to Juno, put on the form if they have addressed the issue with the employee (date needed). If immediate boss handles an issue one way and others don't like it and report to Juno, tell others that the issue was handled.

Excellent

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Hallowell, ME

ProsAn empowering / innovative company

ConsI can think of no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI look forward to working with Nextera in the future

Worked for NextEra Energy, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NextEra Energy, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NextEra Energy, Inc. CEO James L. Robo. All 106 reviews posted anonymously by NextEra Energy, Inc. employees.