NextEra Energy, Inc.

Updated December 6, 2014
2.9

NextEra Energy, Inc. President & CEO James L. Robo
James L. Robo

Pros
  • stable with good benefits including medical, stocks, pension, etc (in 11 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, along with a comparabale benefit package (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are very stressed because of the negative work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Senior management is about as innovative as a brown paper bag at your local grocery store (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Successful company, terrible to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Financially strong.
    Interesting work.
    Employees are empowered.
    Co-workers are typically awesome.

Cons

Work life balance is terrible. Average work week in my group is 59.7 (we kept time logs) hours.

No overtime or comp time is given and the salaries and bonus don't make up for the hours. For example, if you work 70 hours this week and want to leave an hour early next week (after working 60 hours) you are expected to take vacation to account for the "missed" time.

This is all dependent on your immediate supervisor. While most groups aren't as loaded as mine there are others that are.

The difference is that some general managers didn't give up positions and others freely caved in and cut positions from the org chart. They largely did this by attrition, not replacing employees who have left. This way they can reduce head count and also say their group is at full strength because the org chart says so.

My group is staffed at 40% of where we were with no cut in workload.

All of this results in quite a bit of stress in keeping up with deadlines and the feeling that you are not really giving every project due diligence because you are spread too thin.

I am unable to give the company zero stars but would if I could.

Reduce the strain on emyees to a reasonable level.

Will fire you in a NY minute

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and overtime availability

Cons

In one year management fired 25% of it's operators at my plant. While not perfect these were good employees. Management will write you up time after time, give you bonuses, tell you that you are doing good than when it's time they will bring up the past several years written infractions and then let you go.

When you constantly write people up, everyone gets scared to do or fix anything. Chill out and realize that people are not perfect and when employees are worthy of a bonus maybe they also deserve to have past offences cleared from their record and be used against them at your leisure.

Wind Tech who is fed up with playing the game

Current Employee - Wind Technician
    Current Employee - Wind Technician

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Wind sites all over the US
    -Opportunity to transfer to other sites
    -Good benefits
    -Emphasis on training
    -Opportunity to transfer to different units (major component, mid level component, high voltage)

Cons

-NextEra acts like they really care about safety. If you get hurt, they'll find a reason to fire you in order to avoid a lawsuit against them.
    -They use BBSOs and Near Misses as a tool for witch hunting
    -When you meet the requirements to promote to a higher Wind Tech level, they take a long time to make it official and give you the promised pay raise
    -Hard work and knowledge are not rewarded, but rather overlooked
    -Technicians that are experienced, knowledgable and competent, make the same amount of money as those who are incompetent and have absolutely no experience in wind energy what so ever.

Quit pretending like you care about your employees safety. Quit pretending like you're the only company to work for in Wind Energy.

Definitely Research This Company Before Accepting An Offer on The Renewable Energy Side of the Organization

Former Employee - Tax in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Tax in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The renewable side of the company allows you to work on very interesting projects. The compensation package is very good. The projects you work on will be very challenging.

Cons

The Management and the Directors of the Company are impossible to work with. The work life balance is challenging at best. The culture of certain departments is abysmal at best. If you have a family and are relocating to the area, do not take the job. You will not last long there. There are not many other companies to go work for once your role at NextEra is finished.

Horrible Place

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, cafeteria food, onsite gym

Cons

They work you to the bone, weekends, holidays, 24/7. I'm salary in a technical professional position. Absolutely no worklife balance. no oppertunity to advance. Everyone is so mirasable and depressed. unfriendly, people just want to go home. Never a thank you or recognition.

Please listen to your employees. Pay doesnt matter if they are mirasable.

Wind Tech

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc.

Pros

It was supervisor but they came in a cleaned house and gave us a new area manager and well lets say he is a micro manager that puts safety last

Cons

hard to move up, Unfair pay, everyone contradicts each other first its unsafe until the right person suggest it then it is safe.to much paperwork on the computer bbso,near miss, and they say it is not mandatory but will lose out on year incentive if you don't do it

Find real leaders and quit hiring friends. managers lie about techs to make them look better and pay fair

Unfortunately the negative reviews are real

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Your resume will look good after working at NextEra and you wil get exposed to many different aspects of the energy business

Cons

NextEra, NextEra Energy, NextEra Energy Resources, FPL Group, FPL, Florida Power & Light are all managed by the same management team

The negative comments are not from disgruntled past and present employees, but an honest reflection of what goes on at the company

Current business model of "extracting value" at the detriment of the customer, the vendors, and the employees and giving it to the shareholders is not sustainable. Sure the strategy has worked over the past 10 years or so but you have been "lucky" vs. "good". The deep recession over the past 6 years has allowed you to continue the strategy but at the expense of the future success of the combined companies.

If You Like Abuse Then This Company Is For You.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None come to mind. Unfortunately the personnel of this company are extremely arrogant the norm is that you should feel lucky to be working for them.

Cons

The company is run on ignorance.
    Currently going through "Project Momentum".....asked employees to help company become more efficient with new ideas, then used those ideas to fire said people.
    Everyone considered "Exempt" is now required to give 5, 10, or 20, hours. Per week of unpaid over time. Be prepared you will work for free.
    Low level to high level managers who are not qualified to be in the positions they hold. In the job because they know someone.
    The company is rampant with nepotism, so be careful who you work for or with.
    Management consistently breaks their own policies while requiring employees to comply.
    Likened to Walmart: they convince you they are the cheapest place in town when they truly are not. NextEra/FPL convinces everyone they are the best when truly they are not.
    Personally witnessed women getting in trouble for bringing attention to sexual harassment from co-workers.
    HR is strictly geared towards firing.
    The list is endless.

Educate yourselves on what it means to have integrity. Ensure you treat a man and a woman like they are human beings.

This is a large organization filled with middle and little opportunity for growth. Beware if you are looking for a job

Former Employee - Procurement Professional in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Procurement Professional in Miami, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Average salary and benefits. Easy to get hired.

Cons

Poor training and management care very little about the employees. Growth within this company is based on friendship with senior management.

Review your middle managers and seek out a consultant to review your training programs.

Not much to say

Current Employee - Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Read below for review. Not much to say here sadly.

Cons

IF you have already taken an offer from NextEra, just ignore this comment and move along because your mind has already been made and I don't want to double guess your self,

IF however you have some other outstanding offers and your considering a role at NextEra, I would say PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!! WORST COMPANY ON THE PLANET. Managment treats you like crap and they overwork your for little pay. THIS IS ACROSS ALL DIVISIONS. I know some of you reading this might say "Well, that is your group but my boss is going to be nice!" -- YOUR A FOOL. This is how this company operates, they understaff and overwork employees, this is even as the stock has shot through the roof since 2008, so imagine what might happen if the economy/stock dips a little. Since I arrived, in my first 4 months, there were 2 coworkers that were fired and other employees from other adjacent groups were under review. They review all company groups every year to determine if they should be let go. Turnover is CRAZY. The job I took was of a guy fired two weeks before I started. They intentionally let go of people and demand others to pick up the slack.

Please!! I beg you, I get nothing for giving you this warning other than I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through. See the other flattering reviews below.

Sad.....