NextEra Energy

NextEra Energy Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

NextEra Energy Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Florida Power & Light and FPL Energy Lew Hay III

Lew Hay III

If You Like Abuse Then This Company Is For You.

Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNone come to mind. Unfortunately the personnel of this company are extremely arrogant the norm is that you should feel lucky to be working for them.

ConsThe company is run on ignorance.
Currently going through "Project Momentum".....asked employees to help company become more efficient with new ideas, then used those ideas to fire said people.
Everyone considered "Exempt" is now required to give 5, 10, or 20, hours. Per week of unpaid over time. Be prepared you will work for free.
Low level to high level managers who are not qualified to be in the positions they hold. In the job because they know someone.
The company is rampant with nepotism, so be careful who you work for or with.
Management consistently breaks their own policies while requiring employees to comply.
Likened to Walmart: they convince you they are the cheapest place in town when they truly are not. NextEra/FPL convinces everyone they are the best when truly they are not.
Personally witnessed women getting in trouble for bringing attention to sexual harassment from co-workers.
HR is strictly geared towards firing.
The list is endless.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate yourselves on what it means to have integrity. Ensure you treat a man and a woman like they are human beings.

Stay Away! Or grin and bear it for experience and move on!

Finance (Current Employee)
Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsNice facility and location. Most staff level folks are really nice.

ConsToo much to fit here... But overall: FPL places people in management positions based on who you know, period. These people are unfortunately not leaders... But rather folks who have no leadership experience and enjoy "power". a good company would recognize that these are not the type of individuals needed to lead a team and represent a company in a favorable manner. I have witnessed blatant disrespect and unprofessionalism by management and I was appalled that FPL would allow people like this to be in these types of positions. FPL "screams" very loudly about corporate values and doing the right thing. But I see this is used to cover up the fact that more often than not their management team is not doing the right thing. Most unfortunate that a company like this allows this behavior from their senior personnel. The company will lose good people... But they've shown they don't care about that. So to those that like a rational and respectful workplace... Good luck working at FPL!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake steps to ensure your managers are really doing the right thing. More than likely they're not. Not acting implies the company condones this behavior.

Not Good!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NextEra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe compensation package was ok but not great

ConsThis is a red flag for those who value self respect. The company does not value their employees.Your qualification or years of experience doesn't matter. You are treated with very little respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the support staff

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too big to think

Lineman (Current Employee)

I have been working at NextEra Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNot much pros working here. It's been downhill for a while now. Not like it use to be.

ConsLooks like six sigma is the new flavor of the month. It's hard work under the hot Florida sun and not being hydrated just increases health risks. Some smart MBA did one of those projects and decided the crews spend less time working when there is a water cooler on the truck. So problem solved. They took our water cooler away. Wish they would look are at the whole picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do what works and nothing more

All Politics

I have been working at NextEra Energy full-time

ProsThe facilities are nice, and the benefits are good.

ConsThe senior person in the room is always right, and can treat others as badly as he/she likes without repercussion. The junior person had better just smile and take it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart practicing your stated corporate values. Doing the Right Thing doesn't mean everyone else does what you want.

Work life balance is primary concern of many employees

Software Analyst/Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NextEra Energy

ProsIts a "decent" place to work. I've seen better and worse. People are friendly and do their best to make it a nice place to work. Many of the lower level bosses are great to work for. If you are in the right group you get to work with emerging technology and new things. The benefits are in line with other fortune 500 companies. If you are in the right job at the right level you get to travel to conferences and such. Peons are not afforded these opportunities. Pay is in line with other fortune 500 companies as well.

ConsWork life balance is abysmal and only got worse during the economic downturn. Others have mentioned the "every other Friday program" - well, that got canceled. We were promised it would be revived by senior management. That was 1 1/2 years ago. Dress code is business casual; companies that seem to care more about their employees tend to adopt a less strict dress code. I've been to an Oracle interview and the VP was wearing a t-shirt and jeans along with everyone else. Too bad I don't want to live in California! I absolutely agree with the lack of long term planning and the "everything needs to be done right now" emergency mentality. This is what drives most of the work life balance issues. Impossible goals are set and expected to be followed - at your expense. The rush creates sloppiness which then leads to more problems tomorrow when upgrades are expected. Also, you never transfer anything to support. You create it and its your baby until you quit. So, the more productive you are, the more work you wind up with. This is not a sustainable method; I've seen product support follow a person even to other unrelated job roles when they took other roles in the company. Vacation = work from laptop. Sick = work from home. Nights = work from home. There are no good perks to working here either. Some companies provide tea/soda/snacks/coffee etc. Here you can expect water and coffee. In addition, you might be at a "satellite" office in the middle of no where. Fridge space for your lunch is at a premium in these offices (and first come first serve); I've been at 3 of them. No company vehicle (unless senior management). Here you can expect the gray wall no windows cube farm mentality in most of the offices. Career paths are non-existent for the most part unless you consider a career path "applying for another job title, getting an offer, taking that job at another location, and moving there at your own expense" a career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst thing that needs to be addressed is work life balance (for real - not just presentations and talk but real action all the way to the lowest levels). Just because an employee is salaried doesn't mean said employee should be working 60+ hours/week month in and month out. Honestly, I wouldn't focus on pay; that is the one thing that seems halfway decent. The next thing I would address are working conditions. This is not the 60's, 70's, 80's or even 90's anymore. Our work spaces should reflect that. At many companies, weekend casual is ok for work and even for meeting vendors and performing interviews. Dress up is only required for meeting clients. This makes employees happy. Happy employees are productive employees. A word of warning...if things are still this bad when the economy begins to pick back up - be prepared for an exodus. Many retirement aged workers are already retiring and replacing them in some cases has been difficult. Imagine all of them retiring as the economy improves and then many others departing for other jobs at the same time. Its not a pretty picture. I really don't think it would take much to implement these changes. They are not impossible tasks.

Marketing Consultant

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at NextEra Energy as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsSome very talented people to work with.

ConsEmployees are very stressed because of the negative work/life balance. Many are working overtime with no additional compensation as they are all misclassified as exempt from overtime. Because there is a hiring freeze and they are trying to reduce the workforce even further, they end up relying heavily on independent contractors. These independent contractors are misclassified as such because they are actually employees by the definition of all of the state and federal agencies including the IRS. They do not pay employee taxes for the independent contractors and recently insisted that the independent contractors incorporate. One thing that has me very perplexed is that they have under-reported my income on my 1099 4 years in a row. Can't figure out how a company that big can consistently get 1099 reporting wrong. I imagine I am not the only one.

If you are brought in as an independent contractor, do not expect a job offer. Even if they love your work, if you can't get in the "in-crowd" you won't get an offer. Only a "lucky" few do and I do not know the secret. And don't forget, there is a hiring freeze. So even though there is a lot of work to be done they are trying to reduce the workforce by attrition. Also, do not forget to check your 1099. They will most likely get it wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people and check your books.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at NextEra Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat first impression - nice location, great pay and plenty of cross functional areas from which to gain first-job experience. The company is financial sound and will be a profitable investment for years to come.

ConsHowever, the company functions like a well-oiled, process-oriented machine and it needs a lot cogs to keep it running optimally. Don't deviate or think outside the box. Most importantly, don't stay too long or your skills will become extinct because of limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDearth of solid management and leadership skills within the ranks. Management needs to energize employees, encourage innovation, professional respect and breathe some new life into this stodgy company.

Lean, mean, and economically reserved for salaried staff below exec level

Engineer II (Current Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will gain experience exponentially compared to other organizations. If you want to work beyond conceivable levels. FPL is your place to be
Safety, FPL is all about safety!

ConsNot enough text space to list it all:
- not enough staff
- too much work for so few people
- if you work in a power plant, you will be on 24/7 on call schedule. And it will be exercised ALL the time
- systems for managing equipment, work, documents, annual reviews, access to systems, change management, purchasing equipment, budgets, are all archaic and are in great disrepair, and hinders work rather than promoting efficiency.
- management WILL overwork and severely abuse workers.
- work-life balance policy does not extend to plant personnel
- company is always short staffed and things need to get done.
- spend most of time fighting fires.
The list goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, pay better, recognize and reward hard workers, be cognizant that humans require a break from work every once in a while.

Stay out of IM

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at NextEra Energy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsJob security if you want to live in Florida

ConsLow pay with unrealistically high work expectations.
Everything is a fire/emergency.
Constant meetings with little time to actually work. Most work occurs during these wasteful conference call meetings.
No job growth or opportunity within IM (Info Management).
Long hours and crazy on-call rotations
Horrible management - treating employees like children, micro-managing, and constantly badgering them with questions/tasks making it almost impossible to focus on any project or effort.
Big-company segregation of IT teams makes it very hard to get projects completed in a timely manner. For example, you may need to engage at least 2 different teams to setup a new software or do an upgrade, all-the-while management is constantly pressuring you on when it will be completed while your at the mercy of the other teams availability.
Not progressive when it comes to work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some courses on how to treat employees with respect and trust.
Try to be more of an "as long as the work gets done" type of shop vs micro-managing style

Worked for NextEra Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NextEra Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NextEra Energy CEO Lew Hay III. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by NextEra Energy employees.