Nextag Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
99 reviews filtered by

worst colleagues ever

I worked at Nextag

Pros

I thought it was the compensation, until I realized that the competition was paying double and I left.

Cons

The most depressed employees I have ever encountered. From the CEO and VPs to all directors and managers these are losers that cannot appreciate talent and ideas.

Depends on your position and team

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

- Depending on your team, great adoption of new technologies
    - Lots of new things happening, interesting projects
    - Nice office with full of snacks and monthly free lunches
    - Engineers get a Mac or a Dell laptop
    - Great PTO
    - HR really spends time on team building and employee morale boosting activities

Cons

- Some projects have management problems or incompetent managers
    - Compensation is not as good as it used to be

Advice to Management

- Have a clearer vision as to where the company is heading. If you do, please convey it better to the employees so that they can trust that vision.

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nextag

Pros

New work place, Gym, cafeteria, location

Cons

Ex Orbitz and Leapfrog employees taking Management roles
     Headstrong managers
    Although management asks for review/suggestions, they are not ready to accept them and correct their mistakes
    Boot licking is accepted

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what the new hired managers are doing.

Are you kidding me?

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

The coffee machine and free chips.
    Nice office and furniture.
    Monthly free lunches.
    Some smart and cool people to work with.

Cons

Nextag used to be a place where everyone worked hard for a common goal. Now it is very political. You must be considered a fun and happy person to get anywhere. Hard work no longer matters. Senior managers make uninformed decisions about employees without even knowing what they do. Employees are not appreciated, or the wrong ones are.

Advice to Management

A lot of knowledge has left the company with so many employees leaving. You should rethink about who you will force out. Senior managers should get to know their team themselves and not base it on what they hear from others.

Only work here if you are going for a high position...otherwise beware!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nextag

Pros

The pros were free food and some amazing co-workers that I will definitely keep in touch with and I did learn some very useful technology. Everything else basically sucked and at this point there are 2-3 people leaving on a weekly basis .

Cons

Nextag in itself has a lot of potential as a company, but seems that it is not going on the right path. The management is absolutely rude, ridiculous and the politics are insane here. If the manager doesn’t like you… they will make your life a living hell and there will be nothing you can do about it other than look elsewhere for a job. The words “hostile work environment” and “drama” come to mind (but this was only in my department and I can’t speak for the others). Sure you can talk to HR, which I did and it made things better for a while, but in the end it seemed like a dead end job. Nextag IS trying to change and be a more friendly and fun place to work so maybe down the line things will improve.

The manager of my department treated us like remedial children with constant check ins and micromanaging. You will not get any recognition at Nextag no matter how hard you work and a promotion will not happen for 2-3 years (unless you are in a high position then you wouldn’t care anyway). This year nobody even got a raise (the raise is usually a miniscule percentage anyway) and if you work hard and get a good review you will be honored with the TINIEST bonus I have ever seen in my life…it’s a complete joke.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees like human being with kindness and respect and stop the politics going on around the office!!!

From metrics driven to politically driven

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

New office
    Free food (mostly healthy) and fresh fruit
    good location
    some nice people still left
    good mid peninsula location

Cons

Almost everything.

Culture of fear permeates and good people are leaving faster than new people can be hired. There was no money for raises, but plenty for a dividend. Now since so many people have left suddenly there is money for some small raises.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee (its free). Maybe Jeff should try the company coffee? Try hiring talent outside of Leapfrog and Orbitz. And just because someone was good at one of these companies doesn't mean that they will be good at a completely different job requiring a different skill set and education.

Stop restructuring and then wondering why things aren't moving fast enough. Try making money instead of just spending it. You are killing the company.

Lame is the word to describe everything at Nextag!

I worked at Nextag

Pros

Other than somewhat decent work-life balance there are no pros of working for Nextag. The location is decent being right in the middle of the Peninsula.

Cons

Horrible management who're clueless about technology and/or the business they're supposedly going to take to the next level. Very archaic codebase which has very little chance of getting resuscitated. It needs to be killed and rewritten.

Advice to Management

Instead of indulging in cheer-leading and hiring your buddies try to figure out who your good engineers are and put your best efforts in retaining them. The brand has no takers in the valley so forget about attracting good talent. Hang on to the meagre resources you still have left since you managed to lay-off/drive away a lot of your best people already. Take a close look at middle management who're not only mere pencil pushers but are incapable of leading their teams. After leaving Nextag the quality of middle managers I have come across looks like 10x better/more productive.

Nextag is improving dramatically

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

At Nextag, I get to work with smart people on interesting problems. The upper management has changed recently, and the company has begun to make significant changes (both technical and cultural) in a short period of time.

Cons

The San Mateo location is pretty (up on the hill off 92), but dining options are somewhat limited. The company is growing quickly, and quality talent is hard to find these days. It can take a while to bring in new people, even when they're really needed. Also, I could use more vacation time, but that's probably true most places.

Advice to Management

Continue to be unafraid to change. Continue treating employees like adults. This isn't my first rodeo, and the role of corporate cheerleader doesn't come naturally to me, but I think this place could really be a rocket ship. For the first time in years, I'm actually excited about a big company.

Good People, Poor Job Stability

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

There are still good people at the company (as of this review) in both the lower and upper levels of the company. If you have the opportunity to work with them, you can learn a lot from them and they make coming to work enjoyable. However, I would only recommend working here if you are looking for experience and don't need job stability.

Cons

There are plenty of incompetent people in the company, and if you have the misfortune of encountering them or working with them, I am truly sorry. I am not sure how these people got hired at Nextag, but sometimes I feel like we got the rejects from other companies.

Advice to Management

Reward your good talent (what's left of them) and PLEASE vet your incoming candidates carefully.

Nextag is turning into a joke!

I worked at Nextag

Pros

Decent work-life balance compared to most other Silicon Valley companies. As others have pointed out here as well free soda, coffee, etc, which is actually not that big of a deal once you see what other companies have to offer.

Cons

Atrociously incompetent top executives, middle managers only interested in doing a kiss-up kick-down job even when they know they're dead wrong. Somehow, the company developed a pressing need to hire a ton of VPs/Directors in the last 1 year and even more mysteriously they did not find any top drawer talent in companies other than the ones Jeff Katz ever worked at. To accommodate this huge pool of newly acquired stuffed suits the company decided to let go of engineering staff - some of whom had toiled hard for several years. The new management is very adept at cheer-leading but hardly any good at leading anyone. Micromanagement, pressure tactics, and a culture of fear are being promoted but are making the good engineers leave. Soon the stocks of good talent will be depleted and all that will be left would be the cheer-leading squad. A Nextag IPO is suddenly looking like an impossibility any way one looks at it. A bankruptcy appears a more likely scenario.

Advice to Management

RESIGN and take your coterie with you. Turn over the reins to people who're actually built something with technology and not just hopped from one company to another all their lives! If you stay in charge of this ship any longer it will sink under the weight of your ignorance, incompetence, and hubris.