Nextag

www.nextag.com
Profile Unclaimed

55 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I am Glad To be Next OUt !!!

I worked at Nextag

Pros

I like that fact they did have a monthly lunch celebration and they also have happy hours once in a while.

Cons

The commute is terrible. There is really no good food options in the area. This company has really high turn over. I have known more than a 30 people who left the company wiithin the first six months. I feel they have managers who do not know how to manager people. It seems like the upper manager in certain groups. do not know what is going on. I would suggest only taking a job here if you have no other offers. or if you are jobless and you just need a job. This not a career. They treat there employers really unfair. Alot of people gossip about each other and people are extremely clicks as well.

I would suggest listening to people feed backs.

I like the company culture, fun social events, great co-workers and most of all, getting to work with smart people.

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

great culture, fun, always somthing new to learn.

Cons

- growth potential is limited in various deparmtents

Keep up the great work!

Was a good experience

Former Employee - Content Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nextag

Pros

Looking back at 2,5 years I spent at Nextag, I'm reflecting on my experience there, and what the company has given to me personally. For a newbie in the American labor market, it was a great company to work for. I learned the basics of corporate structure, modern technologies, and principles working within the team and across the teams. I had a pretty fair (at least, comparable) compensation for the work I did, and benefits were really good. I also found out that Nextag was a good name to put on my resume :)

Cons

What I didn't like, though, was the total absence of career opportunities. Irregardless how good you are and how hard you try, it isn't possible to move on within the company. There was no such concept as 'career ladder', I guess... The only way for me to grow was to leave, and that's what I did.
    The other thing that pushed me toward leaving was a luck of flexibility regarding working hours. Taking PTO hours for a dentist appointment - it was pretty ridiculous...

Start all 1:1s with your directs with a simple question: "Are you happy?"

worst colleagues ever

I worked at Nextag

Pros

I thought it was the compensation, until I realized that the competition was paying double and I left.

Cons

The most depressed employees I have ever encountered. From the CEO and VPs to all directors and managers these are losers that cannot appreciate talent and ideas.

Depends on your position and team

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

- Depending on your team, great adoption of new technologies
    - Lots of new things happening, interesting projects
    - Nice office with full of snacks and monthly free lunches
    - Engineers get a Mac or a Dell laptop
    - Great PTO
    - HR really spends time on team building and employee morale boosting activities

Cons

- Some projects have management problems or incompetent managers
    - Compensation is not as good as it used to be

- Have a clearer vision as to where the company is heading. If you do, please convey it better to the employees so that they can trust that vision.

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nextag

Pros

New work place, Gym, cafeteria, location

Cons

Ex Orbitz and Leapfrog employees taking Management roles
     Headstrong managers
    Although management asks for review/suggestions, they are not ready to accept them and correct their mistakes
    Boot licking is accepted

Open your eyes and see what the new hired managers are doing.

Are you kidding me?

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

The coffee machine and free chips.
    Nice office and furniture.
    Monthly free lunches.
    Some smart and cool people to work with.

Cons

Nextag used to be a place where everyone worked hard for a common goal. Now it is very political. You must be considered a fun and happy person to get anywhere. Hard work no longer matters. Senior managers make uninformed decisions about employees without even knowing what they do. Employees are not appreciated, or the wrong ones are.

A lot of knowledge has left the company with so many employees leaving. You should rethink about who you will force out. Senior managers should get to know their team themselves and not base it on what they hear from others.

Only work here if you are going for a high position...otherwise beware!

I worked at Nextag

Pros

The pros were free food and some amazing co-workers that I will definitely keep in touch with and I did learn some very useful technology. Everything else basically sucked and at this point there are 2-3 people leaving on a weekly basis .

Cons

Nextag in itself has a lot of potential as a company, but seems that it is not going on the right path. The management is absolutely rude, ridiculous and the politics are insane here. If the manager doesn’t like you… they will make your life a living hell and there will be nothing you can do about it other than look elsewhere for a job. The words “hostile work environment” and “drama” come to mind (but this was only in my department and I can’t speak for the others). Sure you can talk to HR, which I did and it made things better for a while, but in the end it seemed like a dead end job. Nextag IS trying to change and be a more friendly and fun place to work so maybe down the line things will improve.

The manager of my department treated us like remedial children with constant check ins and micromanaging. You will not get any recognition at Nextag no matter how hard you work and a promotion will not happen for 2-3 years (unless you are in a high position then you wouldn’t care anyway). This year nobody even got a raise (the raise is usually a miniscule percentage anyway) and if you work hard and get a good review you will be honored with the TINIEST bonus I have ever seen in my life…it’s a complete joke.

Please treat your employees like human being with kindness and respect and stop the politics going on around the office!!!

From metrics driven to politically driven

I have been working at Nextag

Pros

New office
    Free food (mostly healthy) and fresh fruit
    good location
    some nice people still left
    good mid peninsula location

Cons

Almost everything.

Culture of fear permeates and good people are leaving faster than new people can be hired. There was no money for raises, but plenty for a dividend. Now since so many people have left suddenly there is money for some small raises.

Wake up and smell the coffee (its free). Maybe Jeff should try the company coffee? Try hiring talent outside of Leapfrog and Orbitz. And just because someone was good at one of these companies doesn't mean that they will be good at a completely different job requiring a different skill set and education.

Stop restructuring and then wondering why things aren't moving fast enough. Try making money instead of just spending it. You are killing the company.

Lame is the word to describe everything at Nextag!

I worked at Nextag

Pros

Other than somewhat decent work-life balance there are no pros of working for Nextag. The location is decent being right in the middle of the Peninsula.

Cons

Horrible management who're clueless about technology and/or the business they're supposedly going to take to the next level. Very archaic codebase which has very little chance of getting resuscitated. It needs to be killed and rewritten.

Instead of indulging in cheer-leading and hiring your buddies try to figure out who your good engineers are and put your best efforts in retaining them. The brand has no takers in the valley so forget about attracting good talent. Hang on to the meagre resources you still have left since you managed to lay-off/drive away a lot of your best people already. Take a close look at middle management who're not only mere pencil pushers but are incapable of leading their teams. After leaving Nextag the quality of middle managers I have come across looks like 10x better/more productive.