Nextdoor

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
4.3

Nirav Tolia

Passionate and motivated team tackling a big and difficult challenge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees really care about the future of Nextdoor as a product, company and mission. It's a hard working, motivated team and it's a really great work environment.

My colleagues are collaborative, creative, fun-loving and passionate about what they're doing. We have a beautiful office, pretty competitive benefits like free healthcare, commuter, 401k (especially for a pre-revenue company), a fun culture, and an amazing product and mission.

It's been a really incredible experience so far with a ton of opportunity. Several people have moved up and around the organization successfully and it's a dynamic, growing company with lots to do.

Cons

There's certainly a strong expectation to do what it takes for the job and the company ("act like an owner" is a core value). Whether it's going outside of the responsibilities of your job, or having to do the "necessary" vs. the "favorite" project. With that said I think it's a smart move and that the company is being careful about their resources, versus frivolous.

It's such a big opportunity and you are all really accomplished, talented leaders. Keep upholding the values, leading by example and empowering, entrusting people across all levels of the company.

Okay mid-size startup

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Interesting problem to solve.
    - Good office location in the city of SF.
    - Some engineers are pretty strong and are worth working with.

Cons

- Not an engineering-driven company. It's more like product-manager-driven. CTO is pretty good, but other members in the executive management team don't have engineering background, who naturally don't have any empathy in engineers. Engineers don't have freedom to come up product features.
    - Not free catering lunch. Many employees complained about this problem, but the management team just doesn't care. It's a big waste of time to spend 1 to 2 hours to buy lunch outside.
    - Career path in the company is a joke. We hire a bunch of senior engineers but we never promote any engineer within ~2 years-- confirmed with older employees who stayed in the company much longer than me.
    - Unfair compensation. It's easy to look up salaries for anyone who has H1B visa online. You can figure out someone who didn't make enough contribution gets much higher salary than you. It becomes unfair for older employees who didn't come from famous companies (e.g., google / fb / twitter) or who didn't negotiate salary much. Salary just stays unchanged.
    - Like other startups, HR department is always the weakest part in the organization.

- It's right to focus on business growth. But please don't ignore employee happiness and career development.

Great company to work for but some managers aren't entirely ethical...

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a startup with amazing investors just pouring money into it, so the pay is great!

Cons

Some of the practices of the managers are unethical. I was asked to lie to clients (users of the platform) several, several times. I also questioned one of the manager's experience since it seemed like, as someone working under him, I had more experience than he did.

Since it's a startup, you're expected to always be on call and have no life. That's not much of a con though if you live and breathe your work.

Nirav Tolia is a bit sociopathic. I think everyone knows this but no one really talks about it.

Hire better people.

Interesting

Former Employee - Filed Organizer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Filed Organizer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nextdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, creative, and open to your ideas

Cons

To fast! When your contract is up they will drop you and move on.

Diversify your staff at headquarters

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Nextdoor

Pros

Open and collaborative environment with friendly and smart people. This company has a strong vision, backed up by an even stronger team. I love NextDoor's culture and their constant drive to succeed.

Cons

Nothing glaring really. Perhaps I would hope for more structure in engineering, but then again the company is still pretty small.

Good Learning Experience

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nextdoor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked within a team where people are actually working on products that's being delivered. Got training in any of the aspects that I hadn't known about.
    Even as an intern, able to participate in the company's meetings and decisions. Very good experience if you want to know how industries build things from scratch.
    Benefits are good in general, even just as an intern.

Cons

Some of the requirements and expectations are not clear enough, and when people are busy getting their own jobs done, as intern might get ignored.

Neighborhood Outreach

Current Employee - Field Organizer
    Current Employee - Field Organizer

I have been working at Nextdoor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to use community organizing skills as a member liason and neighborhood advocate.

Cons

Constantly adapting program and changing contract lengths were sometimes stressful.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

I have worked at several tech companies in the valley and I must say that Nextdoor is probably the most transparent company in my experience. The company ethics is very high and every employee is fully informed of the product/financial health of the company. Every one feels like an owner of the product and there is a mutual respect in the company. The teams are well organized and there is a clear sense of responsibilities. The work is awesome too, as they are constantly innovating and using the latest technology. Work-life balance is on par with rest of the valley companies. Most employees love working here and don't think of it as just work. If you are stuck with something, folks are out there to help out.

Cons

None that I can think of. honestly.

Keep it going. Stay hungry, Stay foolish!

With so many companies hiring, don't choose this one!!

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

Smart people work here and many of them are really driven by the mission of the product. Salaries seem to be on the high end, which is positive. There's a shiny new office and the Engineering team seems well led.

Cons

In an environment like SF and Silicon Valley, where company culture is king, Nextdoor really falls short. There is no belief in culture and no company identity. The people at the top set a tone of insincerity. There's a blatant divide between the old and the new employees. While the mission of the product is promising, it doesn't really bleed into the culture of the company which is disappointing...there's absolutely NO community which is ironic considering the product. If this company does well, it will be because the founders care about making a buck...not because they truly care about employees or the product's mission. It's all a facade. As an overall company, Nextdoor may do well, however, employee satisfaction isn't high on their list of priorities, so if being a satisfied, engaged, and developed employee matter to you, you'd be better off working elsewhere....

Stop thinking that the success of the business relies entirely on you and realize that the people who work for you, are actually the ones who will lead the company forward. Learn to appreciate them and be honest with them.

Genuinely excellent work experience

I have been working at Nextdoor

Pros

-Brilliant, helpful colleagues who are a pleasure to be around (the company works hard to ensure that hires are a "good fit" for office culture)
    -Friendly office culture - a very fun place to work
    -Exciting mission and the opportunity to work on a product that is changing communities for the better
    -Exceptional, experienced senior leadership
    -Unparalleled transparency on company issues (you feel incredibly invested in the company's success, because you know exactly what's going on at all times)
    -Room for growth and company-wide support of personal goals
    -Impressive office and great location

Cons

-Difficult work-life balance - the company is rapidly growing, so hours can be pretty demanding.