Nextdoor Reviews

Nirav Tolia

Good Learning Experience

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nextdoor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked within a team where people are actually working on products that's being delivered. Got training in any of the aspects that I hadn't known about.
    Even as an intern, able to participate in the company's meetings and decisions. Very good experience if you want to know how industries build things from scratch.
    Benefits are good in general, even just as an intern.

Cons

Some of the requirements and expectations are not clear enough, and when people are busy getting their own jobs done, as intern might get ignored.

Neighborhood Outreach

Current Employee - Field Organizer
    Current Employee - Field Organizer

I have been working at Nextdoor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to use community organizing skills as a member liason and neighborhood advocate.

Cons

Constantly adapting program and changing contract lengths were sometimes stressful.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

I have worked at several tech companies in the valley and I must say that Nextdoor is probably the most transparent company in my experience. The company ethics is very high and every employee is fully informed of the product/financial health of the company. Every one feels like an owner of the product and there is a mutual respect in the company. The teams are well organized and there is a clear sense of responsibilities. The work is awesome too, as they are constantly innovating and using the latest technology. Work-life balance is on par with rest of the valley companies. Most employees love working here and don't think of it as just work. If you are stuck with something, folks are out there to help out.

Cons

None that I can think of. honestly.

Keep it going. Stay hungry, Stay foolish!

With so many companies hiring, don't choose this one!!

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

Smart people work here and many of them are really driven by the mission of the product. Salaries seem to be on the high end, which is positive. There's a shiny new office and the Engineering team seems well led.

Cons

In an environment like SF and Silicon Valley, where company culture is king, Nextdoor really falls short. There is no belief in culture and no company identity. The people at the top set a tone of insincerity. There's a blatant divide between the old and the new employees. While the mission of the product is promising, it doesn't really bleed into the culture of the company which is disappointing...there's absolutely NO community which is ironic considering the product. If this company does well, it will be because the founders care about making a buck...not because they truly care about employees or the product's mission. It's all a facade. As an overall company, Nextdoor may do well, however, employee satisfaction isn't high on their list of priorities, so if being a satisfied, engaged, and developed employee matter to you, you'd be better off working elsewhere....

Stop thinking that the success of the business relies entirely on you and realize that the people who work for you, are actually the ones who will lead the company forward. Learn to appreciate them and be honest with them.

Genuinely excellent work experience

I have been working at Nextdoor

Pros

-Brilliant, helpful colleagues who are a pleasure to be around (the company works hard to ensure that hires are a "good fit" for office culture)
    -Friendly office culture - a very fun place to work
    -Exciting mission and the opportunity to work on a product that is changing communities for the better
    -Exceptional, experienced senior leadership
    -Unparalleled transparency on company issues (you feel incredibly invested in the company's success, because you know exactly what's going on at all times)
    -Room for growth and company-wide support of personal goals
    -Impressive office and great location

Cons

-Difficult work-life balance - the company is rapidly growing, so hours can be pretty demanding.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong team with a lot of people very dedicated to the mission of helping build stronger communities. It's not every company that actually gets to help make the world a better place, but Nextdoor does. There are lots of opportunities for personal and career growth as the company grows. Perks are fine but not as outrageous as some SF tech companies. Culture is very friendly. Recently moved to a much nicer new office.

Cons

It's a growing company and going through some growing pains - processes have not kept up with growth and it is hard to maintain culture while increasing headcount fast. It's still a startup and there is a lot of pressure to move fast.

Hiring pace probably needs to slow down. It takes time to integrate people and maintain a distinctive corporate culture.

Fantastic Crazy Ride

I worked at Nextdoor

Pros

Exciting environment with bright and energetic people. All staff at Headquarters are Incredibly intelligent. Company culture is very mission driven.

Cons

Constantly shifting goals and expectations. Sometimes it fells like grasping at straws instead of a clear goal and focus on how we can successfully get there.

Clear, honest communication. There has been a lot of that, but, I think there is a lot of speculation as to what the real challenges at hand are and still keep a positive attitude to overcome those challenges.

Nextdoor is driven by an amazing mission and fiercely dedicated employees

Current Employee - Neighborhood Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nextdoor is an extremely passionate place, and I enjoy going to work every day. The learning opportunities are endless and the people are always pushing each other to put their best work forward.

Cons

Nextdoor is on its way up and making a name for itself across the country. The company's growth is making the room for entry level positions slim. If this is a place you are interested in working, make sure you have some experience.

Hardworking, fun, and passionate people who have come together to build a lasting community.

Current Employee - Neighborhood Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nextdoor is one of those places that you think you will get the chance to work at eventually, maybe in your 40's or 50's. Perhaps that's just my age speaking, but I thought it would take a lot longer in life to find a company and team that I could fully throw myself at, because I truly believe in what we are doing and how we are making a difference in communities across the country.

Of the most valuable things I've taken away from working at Nextdoor is the amazing team I've been privileged to work alongside. By my "team" I don't mean the other folks who work in Neighborhood Operations (though they are a part of it), I'm referring to everyone in the company. Each and every person in this company pulls for one another and cares for one another. We all know that we are in this endeavor together to make the best social platform for neighborhoods the internet has ever seen. I feel I've been extraordinarily lucky to come across a company where I feel that every person within the organization is considered family to me.

Working on the Neighborhood Operations team in particular has opened my eyes to how vital this website and organization has become to the communication of so many various neighborhoods across the country. Every day I read and resolve incoming emails regarding problems users encounter signing up, product feedback they have for us, praise of the company, or people writing in with ideas on how Nextdoor could be even better. Through this experience of working as a support specialist, I've been able to see firsthand how the website and platform we are building, is having a real world impact, and concrete effect in people's lives. Very few companies can claim to have such a tangible real world impact, and I believe Nextdoor is well poised to rapidly spread that social good across the country and the world.

One of the other powerful and rewarding things about working at Nextdoor is being able to find a mentor easily and ask for advice from time to time. Being able to learn from veterans in the technology and internet industry, as well as folks who have come from a background of non-profit and other social good startups, there is a veritable treasure trove of insight, passion and wisdom to be found among the Product Managers, Engineers, Designers, PR mavens, and our management team.

Among other smaller yet important items, having a large trove of cheese products and snacks is always a plus in my book. Fellow teammates frequently organize movie outings, Tahoe trips, "Fancy Friday", "Wildlife Wednesday" and other excuses to wear goofy clothing. There is a Mortal Kombat machine as well as a Ping Pong table, though I've never really been partial to either.

All in all, ever since I came across Nextdoor and the people who work there, I knew my professional career would never be the same. I've been humbled in my time working here so far, and I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

Cons

There are any number of things at any organization that can be improved, and Nextdoor is no different.

I consider this to be a half plus, but the intense amount of energy and work that everybody pours into their jobs and tasks does mean that the bar is collectively raised for everyone in the company. This means that you shouldn't expect to just coast along as if working at Nextdoor is some 9-5 job. I like that level of intensity and passion in my work, but sometimes it can be difficult to maintain, especially if there is something troubling going on in my personal life. However, folks are very understanding, and there is a sincere effort to prevent burnout among the various teams, which allows for frequent re-alignment and some good R&R.

Sometimes it can be hard to focus on a specific set of tasks when there are so many interesting personalities in the same building. Luckily there are many conference rooms, comfy couches, and remote spaces to settle into. Additionally, folks can request a headphones upgrade (to those noise canceling ones), which has helped to increase focus.

Finally, there is an impetus to be fully connected and available. You may not want to check your email for an entire weekend, but if you don't I can assure you that your inbox will fill rapidly and you will find that tackling your email becomes a chore in and of itself. Luckily I read spare emails on my commute, but that may not work for everyone.

As we continue to grow, the difficulty to keep Nextdoor as tight-knit as possible will grow along with our team. Keep making an honest, transparent, and concerted effort to stitch the company together through shared values, shared experiences, and shared triumphs.

I find that one of the keys to enjoying working here is the people I'm surrounded by, and ensuring that we continue to grow in a way that doesn't compromise our culture is important to me.

Feels like a "generational" company

Current Employee - We Are All Product People, So I Am A Product Person in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The title refers to the feeling among the employee base, including myself, that Nextdoor is one of those rare big ideas that can have a global impact at scale, the way that Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn have left their imprints across the world. It is exceedingly-hard to come up with and then even harder to execute one of these big ideas.

We at Nextdoor are very mission-driven and filter for genuine belief during hiring because our vision is really tough to execute, one that will require patience and deep belief in order to stick with it. Figuring out growth for this product is really tough due to the fact many neighbors don't know each other and Nextdoor is here precisely to help neighbors get to know each other.

Having said all this, one should want to solve difficult problems that have not been tackled before. The horizon for Nextdoor's future and its ultimate mission is really far away and quite broad, keeping us all stimulated mentally every day and prompting us to get better and better at our jobs.

Other reviewers have talked about the sense of family here and I can echo the sentiment. I truly feel love for my colleagues: they are fun, supportive, and very hard-working. Startups tend to filter well and so have we, it seems. While I have really liked my startup families of years past, this is the best team of people I have worked with across the board.

The other aspect that drew me to Nextdoor is the management team. They have been around the Valley for a while longer than 20-year-old CEOs (as Seinfeld used to say, not that there is anything wrong with that) so there is a methodology and professionalism to they way the company conducts itself that is rare to find these days. As an employee, it's comforting to know that the company is in experienced hands.

Cons

Startups - good ones anyway - are intense places. Nextdoor is no exception but again, because we feel like we're onto something big, we feel the urgency to succeed in our mission and not "drop the ball", so to speak. This, along with the experienced management team, means that this is a serious, "adult" place that could at times be more...fun.

If you are looking for the whimsical startup with dogs running around, people riding scooters around in shorts barefooted (I have been there), you may not find this to be your cup of tea. I personally would love to have a couple of dogs around - they brighten those tough days.

On work/life balance: it's true, we work really hard and long but again, startups are only as successful as what the employees put in.

We could stand to be a bit less conservative with our product, meaning, we could experiment a bit more freely with ideas that at first may not fit our traditional mold or past thinking.