NexxLinx

Updated Feb 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Craig Mento

Good for students, bad for anyone looking for a career

Orono, ME

I worked at NexxLinx full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, great if you're a student. Easy to get the job, so that makes it reliable, in a way.

ConsHardly any chances to actually level up in management

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate with each other.

Company Could Use A Make-Over

I have been working at NexxLinx full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid Training, frequent promotion from within. They do make an effort to create a sense of community through activities every week.

ConsVery poor pay with no chance for a raise, even after several years of employment. Many of the policies are grossly biased in the company's favor. If upper management does not like you for personal reasons, your chances of being mistreated greatly increase. The turnover in this company is out of control. Even when an employee in management is clearly an issue, the chances of their removal is little to none. Rules change at the drop of a hat, often times without notice and yet every employee is expected to know and follow these unwritten, non-communicated rules or they will take your pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your turnover under control. You could afford to pay your high performing agents more and retain them if you didn't pay for two or more weeks of training for every person who applies for a job, just to have a minimum of 20% of the class quit before ever getting on the phones. Tighten up your hiring practices, pay high performers more, and communicate to the company as a whole in a more streamline way.

Easily attained full-time employment.

Jacksonville, NC

I worked at NexxLinx full-time for less than a year

ProsBasic call center job, nothing really special. Paid training. At the time state minimum wage was $6.55, and we were being paid $8 per hour. Plenty of opportunities to move up.

ConsThe floor managers provided no basic courtesy. Call volume is ridiculous, supervisors will feed you calls back-to-back so recording proper data can be hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe considerate, don't forget what it was like to be in our position.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, NC

Pros40 hour work week, nice break areas, short drive from most places

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement, over worked, under paid

If I could take it all back I would.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Newburgh, NY

I have been working at NexxLinx full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have some of the best coworkers, they are honest and hard working people, but they are not driven.

They have never been late with my direct deposit

ConsOn the opposite side of the spectrum the VAST majority of employees in the Newburgh, New York branch are coworkers parolees or on assistance and do not know how to behave in a professional manner.

The TWC interface constantly is going down and understaffed is an understatement.

They offer only flex scheduling, so workers can not pick up another job.

The pay is at the most 9.00 to start some as low as 8.25.

Management mollycoddles some and others if they even toe out of line they are written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at this company.

Management Needs Revamping

Retention Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at NexxLinx full-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of the people who work there are great. Can be very flexible with your schedule if you're a student.

ConsUnfortunately, a lot of changes have been made recently. The work environment used to be so friendly. If you had a question, you could simply walk up to a supervisor and ask it. In the past few months, upper-management has succeeded in creating a work environment so tense and unfriendly, that many of the tenured agents have jumped ship. So, they hire scores of new agents to replace the old and are surprised to find that, suddenly, the quality of the customers service has dropped and the average call time for the company has increased. This place is heading in the wrong direction and I won't be there much longer to find out how low it can go.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to communicate better with your agents. I understand that you're under a lot of pressure from upper-management, but that doesn't mean you can't be a little

A sinking ship

Open Table Tech Support (Current Employee)
Orono, ME

I have been working at NexxLinx part-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay you for working there.

There are only wasps flying around the cubicles when it's nice outside.

ConsThe longer I've worked for Nexxlinx the less freedoms I've held. On a regular basis we are given new arbitrary rules. When I started working for Nexxlinx it was a pleasant environment and the majority of the building was full of different contracts. Now you'd be hard-pressed to find a single person who doesn't loathe working there. The management outsourced our scheduling and that changed every single agent's schedule. The management has done little to correct this. They also implemented a new system where you have to raise your hand and send an instant message to get a manager's attention. When you have a job that requires you to get manager clearance for basic calls this can really ruin call flow. It used to be that you got up and took less than a minute to ask for clearance. Now we send a message and hold our hands up like children while we wait, sometimes upwards of 5 minutes for a response. On top of this they have "required overtime." They send e-mails out stating that all employees are required to work an extra hour on their shift. Time is managed poorly. If there are too many agents available you are told to go on your break or lunch early. A lot of the time they just tell you that you have to leave for an hour or for the rest of the day so they don't have to pay you if you aren't making them enough money. This is during lulls. When the spikes hit again they tell everyone that they can't go on their breaks or lunches until the calls are all cleared. This happens often because they force so many workers to go home everyday. The irony here is that they will force you to go home every day of a slow week but they will never give you a day off that you have requested. This is true. Part-time employees cannot have days off. No sick days, no vacation days, and no personal days are standard for part time but you can't even request time off in advance. The worst part of the job is having multiple managers yelling your name out while you're on the phone and telling you to hurry the customer off the phone so you can take more calls. It's all about money there. The lower management members are good people but the heads of the contracts, the Nexxlinx-Orono upper management, and Nexxlinx itself just do not care about their employees or the customers. They only care about their own greed, which is why Nexxlinx is a sinking ship. Contracts are pulling out because of Nexxlinx's overall unprofessional business tactics.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix things. You know exactly what the problems are and you refuse to fix them. Turn things around before your Orono location is just a vacant building.

Definition of Entry Level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NexxLinx full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSpecifically within the Orono, Maine location, most jobs are entry level call center work. It's easy and paid training is provided.

ConsThe work is mundane, repetitive and not for everyone. It’s similar to working in retail or a fast food restaurant … so there isn’t a tremendous amount of room for growth or career development.

Very little scheduling flexibility, despite what the company advertises and even tells applicants.

Unfortunately, management tends to treat the call center staff (90% of the employees) as replaceable commodities rather than valuable assets. As a result, the workforce is “lower class.” Don’t get me wrong, largely good people, but the jobs tend to attract lower quality, less motivated applicants.

It’s not uncommon to see employees in old, dirty and torn clothing (And not the fashionable “ripped jeans style”) This is partly due to the standards in the area, but mostly a lack of ambition. People just don’t like or care for the job, company or clients. Sadly, it’s systemic; the company seems to support their “as little as possible” mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees with decency and respect. Build a culture where employees want to work for NexxLinx -- Where people want to keep their jobs. Unless you can get people to enjoy some aspect of what they do, morale is only going to continue to plummet.

Wage slave

Time Warner Cable Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe Pros:
It is a job
It pays higher than minimum wage

These are the only two

ConsNo time off. No say in shift schedule. You can swap a shift if you have a pass which you get from not missing any time for two weeks....if management ever passes them out. No part time employment (even for students). Absolutely no coordination between supervisors. Very high turn over.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd flexibility to the job.

Worst 4 months of my life

I worked at NexxLinx full-time for less than a year

ProsNone that I can think of, this is not meant to rant or bash, but it was not a very good experience.

Consmorale, hours are never the full 40 because they send you home when call volume is slow, benefits, customers yell at you all day, supervisors don't even know you are there sometimes and forget to give you breaks, you are paid to sell people things while they are disconnecting and they either get very mad about it or you feel bad about yourself because you just ripped someone off.

Worked for NexxLinx? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NexxLinx reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NexxLinx CEO Craig Mento. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by NexxLinx employees.