Niche Media

Updated Jan 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Katherine Nicholls

Great place to work, but can use some improvement.

I have been working at Niche Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMid-sized Publisher where you can make a big difference if you are confident, can put up with office politics/imperfect internal systems, and do what is asked of you (and then some). You'll meet some great people here, and the current corporate leadership are great, wonderful, approachable people. Lots of events and parties, if you're into that sort of thing. Nice place to work, regardless of where you are in your career. Editorial quality has improved massively over the past few years.

ConsNowhere is perfect. You're a worker bee, so be expected to conform and color within the lines. Not a huge amount of creativity welcome as a result. Some serious dead weight that the executives seem to refuse to address. Health Insurance is for those that are healthy - the deductible is out-of-control, although the company does try to help as much as it can with a large HSA contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop settling for mediocre senior management. Innovate more and invest further in your online and web development. Would be great to see executive leadership interacting with the office more (walking around, being visible, asking how things are going, etc.) Get a better Health Insurance program.

Good stepping stone

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Niche Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Nice staff
- Good connections

Cons- Typical "intern tasks"
- Favoritism among some of top management

Interned there and worked like a crazy person

Photo Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros*great parties if you can get on the list
*most of the editors were nice though not a lot of mentorship.
*had a few of my product photos printed in the magazine
*can use the discounted company beauty shop on the first floor.

Cons*I did the work of 2 interns
*worked illegally long hours

Advice to Senior Managementplease pay us a travel stipend at least...

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work with...not a lot going on though

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Niche Media as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood experience, nice atmosphere, great feedback--overall a good place to launch your career

ConsA bit dull, slow at times, not a whole lot going on, not a lot of room for creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow writers to be more creative with their work

Great Publisher going downhill due to incompetent management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat and Glamourous Publisher with awesome networking possibilities. The opportunity to do great work with really really nice smart people that still do their best despite everything around them.

A surprising lack of ego & snootiness too for such a glossy glam publisher. Most people are quite humble and earnest about their work. There are few Miranda Priestly's here.

ConsWith the palace coup initiated by the current management that forced out the founder a while ago the soul of Niche Media was forced out as well. The founder for all his faults knew how to motivate people and (at least seem) to care for the rank and file.

Media in general is tough in the age of the internet. But the self inflicted wounds done by upper management don't help either. When a third of your employees quit in the last 8 months you know you have a problem.

Currently the parent company based in Las Vegas that owns Niche Media is not investing in the business. People have to make due with the resources they already have. Non Professional Board members of the family that owns the parent corporation have stepped into the leadership vacuum and started to play publishing executive. As a result the "management" is management in name only. The family members are calling the shots.

As a result there is high turnover, (especially in Editorial) low pay and a loss of the enthusiasm for the business that there once was.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the resources you need to be a success or find another buyer. This limbo is killing you...

Los Angeles Confidential Magazine (Internship Experience Assessment)

Sales Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Niche Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Great experience in the publishing field
- Can really prepare you for the harsh world of the entertainment and fashion industry
- Generally care about their interns learning experience
- Ability to network and attend some once in a lifetime events
- Work is far from being pointless (There is always something to do)
- Learn about different personalities in the corporate workplace
- Good amount of projects in every department

Cons- Very rude executives (not everyone)
- Arguably, delusional about how rude they are; and why that contributes to interns being rude back, moody attitudes or leaving without notice
- At times unprofessional (loud employee arguments in the office, cursing and making weight jokes)
- Sometimes personality takes precedent over protocol.
- History of bad intern experiences (cannot confirm)

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder at being more respectful and appreciative of your interns. Observe your interns a lot more and pay closer attention to the directions of the projects given to them by other employees. Be more professional and detailed oriented (office interactions, technology, questions, projects). It is important to make sure you display these company values so you can make an easier and accurate assessment of your interns experience.

Also, when interns request feedback on their proposals or projects; try your hardest to really review it and not just glance. Talk less about the basic obvious improvements (grammar and visuals) and more about the structure and content (radio scripts, choice of images, press releases, social media posts etc). That will give interns a much better idea on how those parts could be tweaked a bit better. Take time on it, so they leave with more that really needs to be improved.

This will better prepare them for the working world!

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media

ProsFun and party place. Good perks to meet and see the publishing industry

ConsTreatment of employees at work is very unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat associates with respect

Good overall experience though a lot of data work

Intern Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media

Pros- Experience working in a luxury publishing house
- Free magazines
- Nice office
- Events

Cons- The work can seem pointless

Stepping stone

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung, cool staff
Full, paid week off between Christmas and NYE based on company sales
Higher-ups know everyone's name
Great parties to attend (if you're not working)

ConsNo room to grow
Healthcare package
HR complaints within own department are often ignored or brushed under the rug
Lots of hours, especially in the summer when there are parties every week and weekend

Uncomfortable working environment and shady executives.

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Niche Media full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent stepping stone in the magazine industry, fun events, occasionally cool career opportunities.

ConsHR only protects the higher ups and executives and it's evident if you ever have a personal issue in the work office. I was a victim of bullying in the workplace and it was a horrible office environment and I dreaded coming to work every day. I will never forget the way I was treated and how HR did nothing to help after a formal review/written complaint. I have little respect for a company that treats employees so poorly and even more so when they neglect the ones so far down the totem pole. Also, salary never matches the amount of work and it seems like multiple people in the company are doing two different jobs at once and not being compensated as they should be. Turnover rate is steadily increasing and company overall doesn't seem to be doing well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to employees and don't be shady. Be honest and honor the employees in all the city offices. Hire a new HR manager. Spend time getting to know those in the other city market offices.

Worked for Niche Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Niche Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Niche Media CEO Katherine Nicholls. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Niche Media employees.