Nickelodeon Universe

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Cyma Zarghami

Was not something I could see myself doing for a long time

Ride Operator (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsFun environment, good learning experience

ConsRepetitive, long lines of people on busy days, very hot in the summer, somewhat physically demanding, little freedom

You are either really bored, or really stressed

Cashier (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGood pay, convenient, meeting new people

ConsFavoritism, bad management, work atmosphere

It's fine

Ride Operator (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsBetter pay than most jobs that high school/college students would be able to get

ConsHigh turnover, poor management, supervisors do not get invested in employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your operators and try to keep them happier

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A pretty fun job

Ride Operator (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsYou have a lot of fun at work. Most of the time the employees are good to work with. You get free rides for yourself and monthly wristbands for your friends/family. I was trained on the ropes course and that was pretty neat!

ConsNo opportunities for advancement beyond team leads. People have given me death threats because I deny their child access to a ride! A lot of micromanagement from the team leads.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people that have real lives. Allow schedule changes without hoops to jump through.

Ride Operator - Great atmosphere, great friends, decent benefits

Ride Operator (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

Pros-Great place to meet people
    -Employee discounts at many stores in the mall
    -Reimbursement for school supplies if attending college full-time
    -Flexible work schedule
    -May not be a job that'll get you anywhere, but it captures the interest of other people in conversation
    -For the most part, other employees are intelligent and able to sympathize and back up their co-workers when one is experiencing a problem

ConsThere are two basic categories of downsides to working here. The first is that, as it is a customer/ guest service job, the people you serve can be very difficult to work with at times. This runs the gamut from having to repeat rules several times to people who won't listen to receiving insults from irate guests. It is much more mentally taxing than it is physically taxing work, and one's mood at the end of a work day is the result of their ability to keep a happy attitude and the kind of guests that came through the rides. The second involves management issues. Though all Team Leaders and administrators were once ride operators, some of them didn't work long in that role before moving up the ladder, and they can quickly lose sight of the practical results of their upper-level decisions. This results in inefficiency and negativity on the floor, most of which is easy to manage and correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareful thought and insight into the effects of upper-level decision making is necessary to keep things moving and operators happy. Both good and bad decisions have tangible bottom-line consequences. The ride operators are very aware of their ability to make changes and are not complicit when they see something that needs to be changed. This is a good thing, because we understand first-hand how to keep guests happy and coming back. This, in turn, is affected by the satisfaction of the ride operators and the flexibility available to "make someone happy (today)." Empathy towards ride operators will go a long way in preserving and growing the success of the park.

Free-for-all

Team Leader (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsFreedom in the decision-making process, independence on the job, ability to fully manage your staff, little supervision, generally nice people

Constoo political, management plays favorites, conflicting ideas from upper-level management, too much responsibility placed on lower-level managers, too much backstabbing

Advice to Senior ManagementShow associates respect and speak to them in a non-condescending tone. Avoid micro-managing, but make sure to always watch your back.

A good place to start...

Ride Service Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGood starting wages.
    Part-time employees are allowed to have flexible hours and the company will coordinate work schedules to accommodate employees ‘school or other work and family obligations.
    Has a great seasonal employment policy. Part-time employees have the option of working heavily during the holidays and summer vacations then leave during the rest of the year and return when needed.
    Has a smooth re-hiring procedure
    Employees receive free passes to the park each quarter.

ConsVery high turnover rate. Employees are well aware that they can be replaced at anytime.
    No significant benefits for part-time employees. Other than receiving free passes to the park each quarter,there are no great perks either.
    Poor management and communication from company supervisors.
    Raises have been frozen for the past two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better system for employees to communicate with management with their concerns and questions. There virtually isn’t one in place now.

Worked for Nickelodeon Universe? Contribute to the Community!