Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

Lisa A. Nickerson

Hands-on, real-world experience in a fast-paced environment to best prepare me for a future in PR.

Former Employee - Public Relations Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Public Relations Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Principal is highly invested in the success of her employees and company; Gain real-world experience with challenging tasks and projects; Experienced co-workers are very willing to take time to teach aspects of the job that were difficult to grasp; Treated as a full-time employee which enables personal and professional growth; Small company allows for more hands-on experience; Company culture is optimal for creating relationships and enjoying typical job tasks; Opportunity to attend industry events and meetings to get a feel for "the real world."

Cons

Internship is usually unpaid; Sometimes a high-stress work environment.

Continue to give interns hands-on experience; assist interns in creating a portfolio for future success; add more structure to internship program

My Experience at NickersonPR

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events

Pros

While working at NickersonPR I did have the pleasure of working with some fantastic young people. Most of my co-workers were more than willing to teach me the ins and outs of PR as well as give me opportunities within each department to see what fit me personally. All of the managers in the different departments (Events, Graphic Design) were wonderful people that enjoyed teaching and pushing interns to do their best.

The events team held the company together. They were always on top of their game and knew what needed to be done and when. The events were great as well; while working at NickersonPR I participated in a Dodgeball Tournamant, Golf Tournament, and there were opportunities to attend the grand openings of many residential real estate properties. Although at one event it was brought to my attention that the hosts thought NickersonPR was very needy and the communication between the two companies was not great- which is not acceptable.

Cons

I started working at NickersonPR as an intern, earning school credits while gaining real world experience. Once my internship period ended, I was hired on as an 'associate' from there I was given promotions, but no pay raise. By the time I left NickersonPR, I was working as the Intern Manager.

The owner, was never in the office (maybe 3 times a week, coming in from 10am - 2pm varying) and when she was in the office, she would often be looking for client information that she misplaced, but blamed her staff for whatever had gone missing. Honestly, I stayed for as long as I did because I truly cared about the interns I was managing. I wanted them to gain valuable experience that they could take with them for the rest of their lives. I wanted to mentor them in a way that they felt comfortable coming to me to talk. Every single intern we hired personally told me that they were afraid to bring up issues to the owner because they were scared of getting yelled at. On top of that, the owner of the company would talk down about workers to their coworkers, which is a toxic and unprofessional work environment.

While I was working at NickersonPR many people left, and the new workers that were hired on didn't even know what position they were hired for, and with the owner of the company never in the office (when she was in the office she was on Social Media the whole time), it was a mess.

While working here I felt under appreciated, and very uncomfortable. During the last conversation I had with the owner she told me my career was done within the PR world in Boston, among other uncomfortable threats.

I think if the owner was in office more, the company would expand quickly and become a force to be reckoned with. I also would suggest a more professional HR environment, where there is an open door policy between upper and lower management, and a new rule should be implemented: If you don't have anything good to say about a workers' personality, then don't say anything at all.

Good internship overall, but could use some improvement

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is welcoming from the second you enter the door, all employees work to their best ability. Work with customers goes above and beyond, I've never heard customers make any complaints. The events team does a great job of making things run smoothly.

Cons

Too may interns were hired at one time. Assignments were always finished quickly because they'd be assigned to several people which left many interns waiting a very long time before someone could find something else for them to do. A lot of the work was routine, there weren't many oppurunities to explore more of the divisions within the company because many people didn't have the time to explain things to an intern. Employees are very friendly with one another but it seems like not everyone has the same level of respect for one another. This company is For-Profit but doesn't have paid internships or stipends.

Have a solid grasp on what assignments interns will have. Could improve on communication between different divisions and more explanations on why certain things are done and what it does for the company.

Job

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events

Pros

Nice office but that's pretty much it.

Cons

CEO talks down on employees, which makes harder to work there.

Be open minded

Great experience. Gave me the skills needed to succeed in my career.

Former Employee - Public Relations Associate in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Public Relations Associate in Newton, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nickerson is a great company to work for because they train and mentor their employees to be detail oriented, constantly challenge themselves and be the best they can be. They work off of your strengths and take a great interest in making every opportunity a learning experience. You will not only learn about PR but learn about the industry, how to write an email, how to interview, handle digital media, marketing, prepare for meetings, organize events..the list goes on! Nickerson gave me the skills I needed to succeed in my career.

Cons

The internship is usually unpaid.

Continue to mentor and take an active interest in your prevous interns/employees. The company's willingness to help team members whether they work there anymore or not makes a huge impact.

Not a great company

Former Employee - Intern in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Newton, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events

Pros

Got some hands on experience as an intern
    Learned about PR

Cons

Not a great atmosphere to be in, when I was there 2/3 interns quit because it was a big waste of time. Doesn't really get to know the interns in a small office of 3 employees, felt as though I was invisible a lot of the time.

Unprofessional with the fact that the boss would talk down to employees in front of clients which was not called for. I almost felt bad for the people that worked there full time. The boss would show up for maybe half a day.

I would not recommend anyone to do business here or work here.

Give more feedback to employees, communication is key in the workplace and there was almost none here.
    Appreciate the employees instead of talking down to them.
    Get to know the people that work for you.