Nicor Reviews

2.9

Ralph Cleveland

Easily Replaceable

I worked at Nicor

Pros

Good Money, time off, great opportunities to advance

Cons

Bad Attitudes from Customers, upper management acts awful , especially when you're still on

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

My heart ached every day I went home. This company has no compassion and will do nothing to help it's customer. We were told to only answer questions asked. Do not volunteer any information. If I saw something that could help someone I should not discuss it as it will increase my talk time. I had many senior citizens call crying because their gas was being turned off. When a 87 yr old woman want to pay her bill over the phone, but was $12 short, and could pay the balance when she received her soc. sec. check in 1 week, the manager said there was nothing they could do. Gas was being turned off in 2 days. But take the money from her if I can. I knew this was a company I could not work for. After 3 years of crying while driving home I quit. I couldn't live with myself. Also, Union job. Jobs given to the person with most seniority not based on who is most qualified.

Really think about what customer service is.

Stable Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Nicor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with and extremely collegial environment. Part of a great industry that is extremely stable.

Cons

slightly below market pay for upper management roles and there is now more red tape from the parent company AGL, which did not exist before the merger of the two companies.

Also, the company could benefit from some more innovative ideas and diversity amongst yougner generations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No promotion opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is above market. Bonuses are guaranteed. Benefits are awesome, offer more than most companies. Positions are autonomous and possess a large amount of accountability. .

Cons

No promotion opportunities. Union environment. Management is false faced. a used car salesman personality; tell you what you want to hear to appease you in the moment but then have zero follow through with actions promised. You are just a number and a means to management taking credit for your hard work.

treat people with respect not a a number and a means to an end.Listen to your people as they are the ones on the front lines dealing with your line management. If they tell you there is a problem investigate it earnestly and make the necessary improvements. You continue to lose good people that made that company what it was and promising for the merger.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than a year

Pros

short commute, easy access to highway, a small gym in the building

Cons

Very old fashion company culture, low tech, extremely micro management, no flexible working hours

Good company, good outlook for promotions.

Former Employee - Parts Procurement Specialist  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Parts Procurement Specialist in Naperville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company looks for employees who can learn quickly and know their stuff and promotes from within with good pay raises to match your increased responsibilities.

Cons

This is a very large company, very corporate-culture based

Great Opportunity For Pay but no Room for Advancment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Barbara Porter created an environmet of Family and Integrity

Cons

With the AGL merger, benefits and corporate responsibility went out the window. Dont give enough training but will give you duties your not trained for. Manager and Supervisors only look out for self. No managment track, perfoming reps had very little room for advancment.

Create a fostering environment, stand behind your employees and help them advance

Good Company

Former Employee - Field Operations Construction
    Former Employee - Field Operations Construction

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable work and friendly co-workers

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder, or time consuming

Secretary who was never given the opportunity to be more...

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Secretary in Naperville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nicor has great benefits and really preached work/life balance and for the most part they practice what they preach.

Cons

There were no educational opportunities (I was told that for the company to pay for any additional education I would need to get put into a job that required it before they would pay, but if it was a job requirement I would never even be considered for that job so that makes absolutely no sense).

Educate employees! This will show your loyalty to employees and in turn give you higher performing employees. There were many employees with great potential that I saw the company turn their back on because one person was ultimately making this decision. This person is no longer at the company and I hope management has changed their way of determining who is eligible for educational assistance.

Nicor was a stable, mature organization that believed in teamwork and giving back to the community.

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Nicor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nicor offered stable jobs, had good technology, and offered a good work/life balance. Teamwork and sharing were valued in the IT department. Overall, a good place to work.

Cons

The pace for change could move quite slowly at times. I believe the pay was competitive but average. Due to it's maturity level (high), there were some processes and procedures that were quite bureaucratic.

Worked for Nicor? Contribute to the Community!