Nielsen Business Media

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Loechner

Marketing Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat experience. great people. wonderful learning experience.

ConsNielsen Business Media was selling off properties so there was a lot of change over.

Research for mass marketing, with little to no communication from Management

Research Interviewer (Former Employee)
    Radcliff, KY

ProsI was employed as a Research Interviewer at Nielsen, which is essentially the lowest position within the company. This being said, Nielsen created a fun 'business casual' environment for these seasonal to part time positions. They allowed a decent start and beginner understanding of how the corporate world operates. The company was also exceptionally understanding of some personal turmoil I was undergoing at the time of employment, which leads me to say that a work schedule is completely accessible to anyone.

ConsNielsen is a very female dominate company, which isn't a con whatsoever, but I was treated very differently being a male. I wasn't treated poorly by any means, in fact I was treated better than my co-workers, whom most were female. A few of these co-workers quit within the first week simply due to poor treatment from senior-management. For lack of better words i'll say the place had a very 'Catty' air. Also, Nielsen tried tirelessly to veil their motives to myself and my co-workers employed within the same position. It's evident that we were simply gathering mass data on television viewing so Nielsen could sell the information to marketing companies. Not a big deal, right? The company continually reassured us that what we were doing was pure research and Nielsen acquires no monetary gain. These aforementioned things are more of an ethical dilemma. Management was afflicted by poor communication among themselves as well as their employees. The computers we used were outdated, as were the programs used to input data. The network infrastructure is almost non-existent as there was no on-site IT support. The social atmosphere is reminiscent of High School Cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that no two individuals have the same psychology and conflicts may arise. With these conflicts communication is necessary, but each personality requires a different way of communicating in order to have a reasonable understanding of situation at hand. Also, listen to the bottom of the totem pole.

Overall good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to learn, accessible managers

ConsRaise freeze eliminated chance for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster new talent

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frat house mentality

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

ProsAlpharetta location is great for getting out of the typical Atlanta commute.

ConsFor the most part, I liked my co-workers at Nielsen. It was the management that really sucked. I had perhaps the worst manager of my entire career, who played favorites and openly demeaned the ones she didn’t like. Had nothing to do with work quality or performance, but rather a high school mentality of being ‘buds’ with the cool clique and chastising the others. Horribly unprofessional, yet seemed to get away with it despite numerous employee complaints to HR. Business trips were the worst, having to endure upper management, sales and others hooking up with one another (and often vendors) like a Friday night at the frat house.

Excellent Media Company which is managed well with alot of good employees

Executive Assistant to President (Former Employee)

ProsMedia industry is exciting. They have good benefits and great family values for employees. They have good management team and good employees.

ConsThey laid me off without trying to place me when my Boss resigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to reassign your employees instead of laying them off even if you have to train them in a different field.

Do not work here

Membership Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThings go well if your manager believes in you and gives you the leads you need to meet your monthly objectives.

ConsYour manager has the ability to help you succeed or fail and if you and your manager do not see eye to eye - you will not be allowed to meet your objectives and therefore you will lose your job. Way too much a mans world here at Nielsen.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a rep is successful and then all of a sudden falls on their face - it's time to look at what the manager is giving to the membership representative in relation to leads.

They were in the midst of trying to sell the company or parts of it. Not conductive to work or morale.

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSmart people. Highly motivated. Wanted direction.

ConsConfusion. Lack of leadership. No direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention or sell it. Need to move into the 21st century.

Nielsen Business Media/Expositions great place - as opposed to the Mothership Nielsen Co.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsGood leadership that is focused on making money while doing right by its clients and audience - CEO is David Loechner (VG), not Greg Farrar (eh)

ConsNielsen Business Media was a thorn in the Nielsen (aka "The Mothership") Company's side. The leadership at Nielsen Co was/is clueless - a horrible and unethical org. Unfortunately their policies got in the way of the expo/b2b business. Fortunately, Nielsen has sold its expo division, so it should mean a (far) better environment for NBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun as much interference between your employees and the Mothership.

Great company to start at but not many opportunities to grow and diversify your career.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNielsen is a very young company and that leads to the office culture being very relaxed and fun. There is a great training program when you start so you don't need to come in being a data or excel expert.

ConsThere is a lot of attrition which leads to a frustrating work experience when you are constantly moving teams and managers and also having to pick up more work than a normal workload can handle. Many employees work very long hours and moral gets compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate incentives to keep talent in house.

Disenchanting

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt was good to work with different departments in a larger company

ConsAt the time I worked there, the upper management was trying to figure out what to do with the department and magazines and I was caught up in the whole power struggle.

Worked for Nielsen Business Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nielsen Business Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nielsen Business Media CEO David Loechner. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Nielsen Business Media employees.