Nielsen Reviews

Reset
3.5
Nielsen Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 89 reviews)

• They do have a Work from Home program (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance really depends on which department you are in (in 110 reviews)

• Seeing some colleagues work really long hours (in 70 reviews)

1,595 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

The Best Company I have Worked for

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are incredibly smart, driven, and its an energetic environment. The career growth and opportunities are endless in this Meritocracy environment. The organization places a strong emphasis on its values for its employees and for its clients. Due to it being a global company, opportunity to work from home is very common for many roles. Nielsen is a very cross functional environment and you have the opportunity to interact with a lot of different functions within the business.

Cons

Some positions require a significant amount of travel which can at times impact work/life balance but it is a flexible environment.

Advice to Management

The upper management that I have interacted with are very intelligent individuals and generally care about their employees and the culture of the organization.

2. FLP Internship

Current Employee - FLP Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - FLP Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to corporate finance; Very accessible senior management; Nielsen truly makes an effort to have interns learn more about the company's structure and values;

Cons

Interns often have managers who are brand-new and have never managed before, which can lead to some frustrating moments; work-life balance can sometimes fluctuate;

Advice to Management

Place interns in departments that align to what they are studying, as there are some interns who are studying fields that don't relate to that part of the business

3. Nielsen Co.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very learning environment and loved working with the people there. Good pay.

Cons

Layoffs every year so you never know when you are next. Contractors and College grads were sometimes more valued than employees.

Advice to Management

Think before unfairly laying off good employees

5. BASES Project Developer

Former Employee - BASES Senior Project Developer
    Former Employee - BASES Senior Project Developer

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Within Nielsen, the BASES team in general, but especially the Project Developers, create an amazing team environment. Very supportive and not competitive, because this is a job where if one person succeeds, everyone succeeds. Also amazing teamwork in the sense that if one PD was super busy and drowning in work, the rest of the team would do their best to help take on projects to ease their workload. This happened most often within an office, but would even extend to PD teams in other offices if an entire office was drowning. Also, ability to work from home was an option given frequently to trusted employees.

Cons

At times it felt like management was more concerned with the bottom line than with employee satisfaction, which is typical, but caused a huge amount of turnover, and often all at once when employees would all kind of burn out at the same time. Additionally, technology was a constant headache.

6. Good short-term first employment

Current Employee - Intern in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

People are friendly. A lot of very intelligent people; however, they tend to leave the company soon.

Cons

Technology is outdated; sometimes there is even a lack of basic needs such as laptops.

7. The Best

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely profession company to work for. The Nielsen Company is head and shoulders above the rest. A leader in their field.

Cons

Administrative component related to job is cumbersome and at times stressful.

Advice to Management

Get software that streamlines reporting system.

8. Feedback of Melvin

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Culture is the most important thing at Indeed. Great environment to work. Food and drinks are provided on a daily basis.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is a bit off, but only due to volume of work not to any pressure applied by management

Advice to Management

Indeed has been a great place to work. With any growing company, there have been moments of stress. But through strong leadership and a clear mission (I help people get jobs), Indeed has been an amazing place to work. The challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied. I have grown a lot working here and see a lot of potential for more in the future.

9. good place

I worked at Nielsen

Pros

good benefits, good starting pay

Cons

long hours, job was outsourced

10. Stability and Consistency

Former Employee - Manager, Product Leadership in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Product Leadership in New York, NY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nielsen is a large institution that has been around for a very very long time. They provide stability and consistency in your job and the freedom to work anywhere. Since I've left, nothing about that has changed. There's also opportunity to move to other offices since Nielsen is a global organization.

Cons

Pay and Challenge. Nielsen is notorious for underpaying it's employees, you go for the brand name and the career development, not the pay. This is also a place that isn't very challenging for most people, you go in and you do good work.

Advice to Management

I know a lot has changed since I've left and I'm very glad to see those changes made. Keep on the path and keep believing in Mitch.

11. I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Systems Control (Team Lead) in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Systems Control (Team Lead) in Shelton, CT

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had excellent coworkers and mangers who made me feel right at home. The pay was good. Vacation and time off were very flexible.

Cons

Not many cons with regard to day to day operation, however they started to outsource many of the jobs around 2011.

Advice to Management

None

Showing 1,595 of 1,668 reviews