Nielsen Reviews

1. Always evolving and improving

Current Employee - Director, Digital Marketing in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director, Digital Marketing in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

I work remotely, and that has it's pros and cons, but Nielsen has enabled their environment to make it work exceptionally well. I'm surrounded by really intelligent people who are never happy with the status quo, always pushing to be innovative, to improve, never standing still. I'm in my second role in three years, and each role has been challenging, never boring, always learning. It's the people, culture, and the encouragement to try new approaches and "you can be you" attitude that makes it fun and meaningful to work here. And call me a nerd, but the work I do is incredibly interesting!

Cons

The complexity of what they do is a bit of adjustment, from day one I realized this, and still not sure I fully comprehend the vast services they offer. Vacation time could be more, seems less then other companies, but they are truly flexible, pay is very competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, communicate, communicate, communicate.

2. Great company to work for!!!!!

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Nielsen for 7 months, and I absolutely love what I do! The company has tons of resources and is the most organized company I’ve worked for to date. My position is a membership rep and I can see myself doing this for the next 20 years! I almost didn’t take this opportunity because of so many negative reviews however I feel the people who wrote some of those reviews could not handle a position like this.... This position gives you a ton of freedom and flexibility and to be successful you have to know how to manage yourself and your time. The company car of course is a perk as well as all the benefits the company offers. As an outside sales rep all my career I can say working for Nielsen has been the best for me by far (having an awesome, knowledgeable manager also helps!).

Cons

The only con I honestly felt was that the bonuses were quarterly however as of this spring they were switched to monthly (for my role - membership rep) and I absolutely love the bonus structure now!

Advice to Management

Have more monthly or weekly incentives or opportunities for reps to make additional awards outside of the monthly bonus structure

3. Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Virtually anyone who is serious about their career, can move up within Nielsen. If you want to learn, this is the place to do it. It's a collaborative culture with intelligent staff and management that is supportive in helping you grow. Work-life balance is high on their list of things they want for their employees and the culture values each individual and encourages you to be yourself.

Cons

They need to continue to improve their benefits, they've been working on this so it's always getting better. Improve clarity around each business unit so it's not so confusing for newcomers. Simplify the company structure so everyone has a road map.

Advice to Management

Stay current with benefits and compensation so that we can compete in the market place for talent

5. Great work/life balance!

I have been working at Nielsen full-time

Pros

The employees at Nielsen are warm, welcoming and truly value work life balance. The teams work hard, but on schedules that are flexible and accommodating and the ability to work remotely / from home is truly wonderful.

Cons

The organization is quite large, so it can be difficult to coordinate across teams or business units.

6. Great Flexibility, Little In-person Interaction

Current Employee - Leadership Development Associate
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Associate

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

Extremely intelligent, talented associates; Flexibility with working hours and ability to work remote; Decent employee benefits and access to employee resource groups

Cons

Very little facetime and in-person interaction with team since many employees work remote; Divisions within Nielsen are often siloed and don't work efficiently with overlapping clients; Difficult to understand Nielsen from a high level since divisions are isolated

7. EVP

I have been working at Nielsen full-time

Pros

People, passion, innovation, community service

Cons

Travel, work life balance, complexity

8. Flexible schedule is a win-win

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nielsen is a great place for working parents as they offer flexible schedules.

Cons

Nielsen's organizational structure is impossible to understand and navigate. Nielsen is infamous for having a 5:1 ratio of Nielsen employees to clients in meetings.

Advice to Management

Nielsen just had an organizational restructure to create Expanded Verticals and yet they didn't include two key departments as a part of the restructure - the technical team and the digital implementation team. It then gets hard to fix problem areas in the process as there is no reporting structure authority.

9. Good Benefits and Lifetime Learning available - high stress

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Nielsen (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and many personal development areas available. True meritrocacy - reward the hardest workers.

Cons

Training seems to be too much, but then find out its not enough and no body available to help - lots of turnover of field workers because not enough ongoing support - managers stretched too thin.

Advice to Management

better mentors for field workers

10. review

I have been working at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Reputable company. Company car and flex schedule

Cons

Work-life balance. working hours. A lot of driving. Cold-calling.

11. GREAT place, lots of resources, so-so employee treatment

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll be around a lot of really nice, intelligent people. It's a great environment for a first job out of college, and if you know/meet the right people it's a good place to bounce around to different teams, gaining exposure and learning about different products and industries. Social scene is decently fun. Lots of young people. Media is generally conducive to good times and good networking. Work-life balance is very good on most teams. This can be a 930-6 in Manhattan, which is about as good as it gets.

Cons

Employee treatment was a common complaint while I was here. There were multiple issues and important aspects to employee life here where our head of HR was blatantly caught being dishonest. For example, the Wall Street Journal announced that Nielsen would be moving offices downtown while our HR officials were still publicly claiming that we were not moving anywhere. It was also difficult to get a clear picture of what employee growth should look like at Nielsen, especially for entry-level workers. I saw a lot of examples of really great, talented people being driven away from the company due to hiring budgets being cut, under-staffed teams, and raises or promotions being promised and withdrawn time and time again.

Advice to Management

Definitely work to regain employee trust. Come up with a better system for identifying strong performers and keeping them happy and confident in their roles. Offer better resources and mentoring programs so that younger employees know what they have access to.

Showing 1,593 of 1,668 reviews