Nielsen Reviews

1,594 Employee Reviews

1. GREAT place, lots of resources, so-so employee treatment

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll be around a lot of really nice, intelligent people. It's a great environment for a first job out of college, and if you know/meet the right people it's a good place to bounce around to different teams, gaining exposure and learning about different products and industries. Social scene is decently fun. Lots of young people. Media is generally conducive to good times and good networking. Work-life balance is very good on most teams. This can be a 930-6 in Manhattan, which is about as good as it gets.

Cons

Employee treatment was a common complaint while I was here. There were multiple issues and important aspects to employee life here where our head of HR was blatantly caught being dishonest. For example, the Wall Street Journal announced that Nielsen would be moving offices downtown while our HR officials were still publicly claiming that we were not moving anywhere. It was also difficult to get a clear picture of what employee growth should look like at Nielsen, especially for entry-level workers. I saw a lot of examples of really great, talented people being driven away from the company due to hiring budgets being cut, under-staffed teams, and raises or promotions being promised and withdrawn time and time again.

Advice to Management

Definitely work to regain employee trust. Come up with a better system for identifying strong performers and keeping them happy and confident in their roles. Offer better resources and mentoring programs so that younger employees know what they have access to.

2. Good but inefficient company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

The company has a lot of nice people; very open and accepting culture; provides a lot of opportunities to move to another office / location.

Cons

Advice to Management

address these issues: Half of the work week is spent on conference calls, where nothing is really done. the departments are too fragmented, and the accountability is very decentralized - as a result, most people prefer to pass accountability to someone else and not deal with the problem at hand. The health benefits are pretty bad,

3. Senior Research Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Up to 4 weeks vacation, 3 personal days, 10 medical/emergency days.

Cons

Discontinued the retirement plan. Vacation and sick time are use it or lose it each year.

5. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen (More than a year)

Pros

I have more flexibility and work-life balance here that I have ever had before. Also, the research the company does is very interesting.

Cons

One often needs to fight harder and wait longer than is necessary both for internal changes and to meet client demands.

6. Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Director, Client Services
    Current Employee - Director, Client Services

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader in marketing research and digital measurement. Get to work with an incredible suite of tools, leading agencies and leading advertiser clients. Incredible chance to grow your background in marketing research, digital and more consultative business development. Many opportunities to advance with the company.

Cons

Can be a little slow to adopt technology internally. We use Excel to build internal reports while managers could easily pull these from our CRM tool. Our matrix structure with multiple layers of teams can slow down project execution and sales cycles.

Advice to Management

Keep on providing industry leading solutions that maximize value for clients. Try to offer more transparency on career pathing. Adopt technology for internal workflow to yield higher productivity rates and eliminate the need for smart people to do boring tasks.

7. The Nielsen Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen (More than a year)

Pros

Nielsen is the industry leader in both BUY and WATCH solutions. We will be able to maintain good work life balance and we can grow professionally well.

Cons

Employee satisfaction depends on the role which you are working at times. Also there are significant amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on innovation. Recent improvements to the benefits packages are great. Work to promote senior leadership from within.

8. Director - Analytics

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

industry leader. Has big clients and tools.

Cons

little pay versus other industry players

9. svp client service

Current Employee - Senior Vice President Client Service in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President Client Service in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nielsen (More than 10 years)

Pros

integrated in work discussion enviorment

Cons

sometimes very silo in different areas

10. Leadership is Lacking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Nielsen (Less than a year)

Pros

for a call center, it is one of the best

Cons

the administrative staff is not bright, and very caddy

Advice to Management

bring people from your major locations to this location

11. Project Developer

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

Flexibility. Team dynamic and support. Comprehensive on-board training. Exposure to global projects. Work with cross functional teams around the world.

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunity. Job function is limited and doesn't provide opportunities to build strong soft skills for the current job market (for example: client service, presentation, negotiation etc.)

Showing 1,594 of 1,676 reviews