Nimble Storage

Updated March 2, 2015
3.4

Nimble Storage CEO Suresh Vasudevan
Suresh Vasudevan

Pros
  • Hiring managers tout the "no jerks" policy and really stand by it (in 6 reviews)

• It is just great to be surrounded by smart people with a good attitude (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to attend way too many meetings and still accomplish your overloaded workload (in 4 reviews)

• No one does any work around here (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture....moves fast and has great people!

I have been working at Nimble Storage

Pros

Decisions made quickly, strong cross functional coordination, great people that want to grow a company.

Cons

Too much recruiting from the same companies...NetApp, EMC

Stay focused on not hiring "jerks"

Meaningful Work and Numerous Opportunities

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nimble oh Nimble, well what can I say?
    I'm just so excited to go to work everyday
    It's not cause of free food, ping pong, snacks or beer
    It's great opportunities for future careers
    The product, the vision, the founders are great
    And Suresh is a CEO no one can hate

There is so much talent in one place you'll see
    Unique skills in every Nimble employee
    Just like Rod Bagg who created auto support
    Also creates coffee cakes that never fall short

Culture abounds all around our team
    Guitars, singing, dancing while coding it seems
    Our SE's and architects love this place too
    They whiteboard their hearts out, you betcha it's true!

Still CASL is nothing that's short of a wonder
    While InfoSight gives our Support teams the power
    To effectively scale and delight and surprise
    Our customer base and the big enterprise

With shiny new features and SmartStacks galore
    We've delivered on fibre and there is so much more
    The team upped the ante with Adaptive Flash
    That is bound to shutdown our competitors tracks!

Now don't get me wrong cause we're way far from perfect
    It's just so much fun when the journey is worth it
    Cause you'll get your hands dirty on meaningful work
    And occasionally you may run into a jerk
    But we deal with them with a hand of tough love
    Cause our culture of no jerks means enough is enough

With long nights and weekends sometimes in the books
    It can make someone feel like it's not how it looks
    But the plethora of brilliant minds in Engineering
    Means our first class Sales team has the world for the taking

We're launching our products, we're working real hard
    But that's nothing new
    Been this way from the start!

From startup to pre and now post IPO
    Oh the heights we have seen and the places we'll go!
    And the work that you do and the things you experience
    Will give you a sense of real pride and a purpose

What Varun and Umesh founded some eight years ago
    Set us right on this course and the world will now know

This great place to work and this great place to be
    This great place to grow, this great place for me

Cons

For those reading this: If you don't like change and you don't like to move fast and break things then this is not the place for you. You will be in for a shock. Don't fall into the allure of thinking this place is like any other startup turned post IPO gig. Nimble has a laser focus vision on the goals for the future. You'll do yourself a disservice coming here and thinking it's anything short of a rocket ride. EVERYONE here gets their hands dirty. From the CEO to the frontline.

Keep being present. Sustain authenticity.

It's very easy to give into the higher order of maintaining the public scorecard. It's very easy to simply hide behind PowerPoint slides and 5 min hallway chats when everyone is busy as companies grow. I ask that don't forget to continue spending that quality time listening to employees and encouraging the dialogue. We don't want to dilute your personal impact as we get larger.

Awesome tech company with great long-term potential; employee-centric culture

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like how innovative the company is and how far-reaching the product roadmap is. The support team is the best in the industry and sales seems to operate like clockwork. The best part is that the leadership team is very open, shares information freely and seems to really listen to the employees and care about the employees. Best company I have worked for in the last 15 years.

Cons

The pace can be fast, particularly at product release times - to be expected given what the company is aiming for.

Keep the focus on employees and keep the open communication going. Maintain the "No Jerks" policy even as you get bigger.

Rapidly growing, transitioning from startup to market leader

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package and generous equity package. Fair and charitable PTO policy, focused on wellness and family. The culture of camaraderie and charity is strong, as well as an outstanding work ethic across all the teams.

I'm constantly impressed by the level of customer focus among our customer support, engineering, training, executives and operations team. Definitely a blue collar work ethic, where no one is above "emptying their trashcan".

As a systems engineer, I enjoy selling the product because it's easy to use, performs better than the competition, and delivers scale reliably. The development / engineering staff is focused on delivering quality software, not just kicking out features that barely work.

I have spent time with Varun, Umesh and Suresh in front of customers. All three of them are excellent speakers, and incredibly focused on building the next great storage company. I enjoy working for them.

Cons

We're not a huge company (that's a pro for me, may be a con for you) with a large development / integration staff. Our customers and prospects are asking for features or application integration that we haven't delivered yet, and won't deliver for 6 months to a year, or longer. This is a challenge for the sales teams.

Hire as many developers as we can afford. Maintain focus and discipline on code quality and QA, while accelerating delivery of the new features the market needs. Don't try to follow our competitors. Make your own way. We have a unique value, don't forget what it is.

5 months in....

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nimble is in a unique position in the market, it offers disruptive technology to customers and has delivered on an ambitious innovation pipeline. The executive team is dedicated to customer delight and the organization prides itself on maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction. The company has also done a good job of gaining inroads into competitor's install-base customers gaining traction and momentum each and every quarter.

Cons

The company is at an inflection point in which it must invest in developing effective leadership and implement processes and best practices for ensuring that the business can keep pace with revenue and customer acquisition momentum. This is a challenge, but the executive team is committed to learning and improving each day.

Continue invest in developing effective leaders and stay true to the cultural values understanding just how difficult that will be as the company continues to scale.

A lot of career growth for young ambitious talent (Sales)

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nimble Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-What I truly envision as a great place to work. They really take care of you.
    -Hard work is recognized.
    -Flexibility in work hours.
    -Suggestions from within are taken serious at every corner. No idea is dismissed right away.
    -The attitudes are contagious. Everyone will take a minute out of their day to help a fellow employee out.

Cons

-No match on 401 K.
    -A lot of growth can help you recognize how dedicated to the job position you are.
    -Keep the perks coming.

-recognize hard work more often.
    -Enable the work-life balance to be more effective.

Great environment, great people, great product.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Love the environment at Nimble, still with a start up feel despite the fast growth. Lots of opportunity to get involved with various projects. I have met lots of great people here, the no jerks policy is definitely a factor creating this. The product is something that excites me and makes what I do worthwhile. Management has been a huge part in my experience and allowing me to have a good work-life balance.

Cons

The fast paced culture can sometimes make long term personal decisions difficult.

You Know It's Going Downhill when HR asks you to write a positive review on Glassdoor

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working 3 hour days, this is your place.

Cons

The people that are any good get 90% of the work.

HR has over 25 people, too much overhead for a company of only 800. HR is asking people to post positive reviews on glassdoor.

Promotions are based on who whines the most, not on merit.

Marketing doesn't get it, they are a year late into doing anything. The department has over 45 people for a company of 800, a little fat by some standards. It's well known people think Nimble's Marketing is below average compared to their competitors. No one understands the latest animation from Marketing about Mary.

Everything is based on how Netapp did things including the mistakes they made. If you came from NetApp your salary is higher than the pre-ipo people, their argument for that was you were paid more with your stocks, which is ridiculous since that's the risk we took to join early on.

Fire more people, hold people accountable. If a project slip, someone needs to be fired. Reduce overhead, no reason to have 25 people in HR.

This is by far one of the best companies in the Silicon Valley to ever get to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage

Pros

I love a lot about Nimble. I love the culture, the people, the working environment, and that they really take care of their people. We have a “no jerks” policy and are big on employee referrals because it keeps the good people in a great company.

Cons

NONE, this really is a great place to be.

The new leader in storage?

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nimble appears to be pulling away from the pack. It's not clear if or when the other flash enabled storage startups will catch up or even manage an IPO.

The engineering team is a delivery machine (possibly the best in the storage industry) and the sales team has been keeping revenue, customer counts and large customer deals growing faster than any prior storage array company.

There is a huge emphasis on keeping customers happy and the product and support experience keep being highlighted in customer feedback and online forums.

There is plenty of challenging work to do, the comp is good, the benefits, especially the vacation policy is great. There is clear feedback from management on strategy and priorities.

Cons

Lots of work. Keeping ahead of the competition takes effort.
    They have to work hard to keep processes ahead of the curve as they grow quickly.

Keep staying ahead of the pack. Show that Nimble can be the next great multi-billion dollar storage company with a stock price to match.