Nimble Storage

Suresh Vasudevan

Great Company & Great people & Great Product makes it a Great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Facing Role in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Facing Role in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Been here for 18 months and this Probably the best company I've had the opportunity to work for -
    Great product,
    Good and smart people
    Good salary and benefits
    Best CEO I've ever met in my 20+ year career

Management does a decent job of both promoting from within but also brings in senior contributors from outside to help improve ideas and avoid the NIH [Not Invented Here] syndrome.
    QA is #1 - the entire focus is on ensuring the product is solid - 99.999% uptime is the target by which they measure quality [I suspect executives have bonus tied to maintaining this product uptime / stability in the field]
    Support is a huge area of focus - they put huge focus & resources on the customer support side of the business to help ensure the customer experience is positive.

The hiring policy of 'No Jerks' is clearly stated and mostly implemented.

Management is very open and communicative with the employees with weekly and quarterly communication to ensure the culture of openness continues.

Good health-care and benefits, Onsite Gym, generous paid-time-off, great ESPP, free lunch weekly [at HQ] are all nice perks.

CEO [Suresh] is charismatic, technically brilliant, has amazing business acumen and is a great communicator to wall street [just read his quarterly letter] - he's an amazing CEO in my opinion [and I've met many who weren't]. CEO is a great leader.

I have gladly referred and brought in a few friends - and I wasn't willing to do that at my last two jobs.

Cons

High growth environment - and that's always difficult to manage at any stage - the company is doubling yearly so things are constantly changing.
    Nothing is perfect - and any time you get 1000 people trying to row in the same direction there are bound to be some complaints and some natural tension - but overall I've been quite impressed.
    Management expectations are high - they demand sales growth, they demand product growth and they demand quality - not un-reasonable but there are probably easier jobs if someone doesn't want to meet demands.
    This high level of management expectations causes some natural friction between groups who may have tight deadlines.

Work on maintaining the good culture and rewarding those who contribute.
    Stock based compensation is a (very) nice bonus - but it's not a substitute for competitive salary.

Mixed experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company tries to establish a "no jerk" policy and it is somewhat successful - most people are nice to work with.
    Free fruits are good.
    Overall communication from top management is ok.

Cons

Promotion and level (I can only speak for engineering department) is dark mystery. I have seen lower level people performing better and more productive than higher level ones. The criteria of different level/promotion seems to broad, but in the end, all seem to be applied somewhat arbitrarily by upper management. In short, it all depends on how upper management sees you, instead of how you actually perform. And what you do matters a lot - doing more visible work obviously gets one ahead much more quickly - that does not necessarily means the one is more competent though. Management may give you a reason why you are at this level, but as you look around, other more senior people can suffer same problems yet somehow that does not matter to other. This eventually will instill a kiss-up culture (you just need to make some key upper level people feel you are competent) as I have seen in some other companies. Also people are less motivated to do things that also are critical to company functioning (but less visible to upper management). You can feel short-circuited by upper management sometimes.

Lack of appreciation by upper management is also a problem. Many times people work overtime to make schedule met but got little formal appreciation. Some small appreciation is not going to bankrupt the company.

Upper management seems to be content on what they are doing. I see lack of motivation going after different directions. This can be a major problem in technology field where things change so quickly. A major shift in market can render this company totally irrelevant.

Constant unloading of shares by upper management is also a big concern. This can indicate less commitment of upper management to this company.

Try to correct the cons I listed above.

Amazing Summer Internship

Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nimble Storage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work culture, amazing people to work with

Cons

Too many meetings on some days of the week.

Really nice people and good company fundamentals

Counting Their Chickens Before They Hatch

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have a great vision ahead of us.

Cons

No one wants to work.
    If you're willing to work, you get rewarded with the most work.
    The only news we get is the number of shares our executive unloads, everyone thinks that they're going to give dump the company.

The few rock stars you have at this company do 90% of the job and they never complain, while the remaining people sit around staring at the stock all day doing absolutely nothing. Management gives the most work to those rock stars and they're burned out. Guess who gets the least promotions too? The quiet rock star that does all the work because they don't whine. It seems the whiners get the promotions the fastest yet their work doesn't show it. Filter through the noise management!

People forget they have a job to get done here. Go over at 5 PM on any day and everyone is gone, especially in engineering, you'll probably one see the rock stars I talk about toiling away.

The last product launch was horrible yet people were already giving themselves a pat on the back. Half of the company couldn't even tell you what a CS300 and CS500 was. What kind of product launch is that?
    Marketing can be improved, everyone gets under our skin and we just sit there and call them stupid; that's a sure way to solve things by calling everyone else stupid! I think we're the stupid ones when companies like Tegile can annoy us.

We never see any headlines beyond seeing how many shares one of our executives unloads.Everyone believes they are going to dump the company.

Snowball just started rolling down the hill

Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great if you don't like working more than 5 hours a day.
    CEO favors East Indians, so if you are east Indian, you get away with a lot of things.

Cons

No one does any work around here.
    Engineers are put on a pedestal here, if you're not an engineer, you don't get any recognition.
    People walk around arrogantly but forget Netapp is 100 times bigger. No one is hungry anymore ever since the IPO.

Hold people accountable. Stop promoting people that do nothing. The people putting in 80 hour weeks are not being recognized.

Management needs to stop selling the stocks, it makes us feel that no one cares about the company any more. This is the only needs we get from the feeds, there isn't any marketing on the product but all we hear are about the execs dumping the shares.

It was an overall good experience.

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Nimble Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People were nice to work with in the development groups;

Cons

It sometimes took a while to get the needed hardware and software.

Awesome

Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nimble Storage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company environment, Good compensation

Cons

Nothing I can mention or noticed

Intern: Great People, Great Atmosphere

I worked at Nimble Storage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, willing to sit down with you and share knowledge. Company lunches are an excellent time to get to know different people within the company as well. Things move fast, and most of the work you're doing generally has a long term purpose.

Cons

As an intern, coordinating with your manager can be a little difficult at times, and sometimes I felt as if I was not utilized to my best capabilities. This is not a reflection on my manager or Nimble, but on my experience.

Nimble does not live up to their own mantra

I worked at Nimble Storage

Pros

Product roadmap looks promising at this time

Cons

They claim to have NO Jerks policy, but there are Jerks everywhere.
    You are expected to work extra long hours even during weekends and holidays. You are expected to attend way too many meetings and still accomplish your overloaded workload.
    Engineering leaders does not respect the lower people.

Live up to the Nimble mantra. Respect everybody and act nicer to your workers.

I haven't been part of a better organization in my life - everyone is so humble

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Nimble Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

#1 - Founders have a keen focus on providing the best possible culture, experience and enjoyment across the company.
    #2 - The Product and CASL is so disruptive that it's not yet unleashed its full potential and this will bring the company to $1B of revenue one day.
    #3 - Work Life and Time Off is well-differentiated by Nimble providing Unlimited Time off. This gives you a chance to truly manage your own schedule and spend time with your families when you need it most.
    #4 - No Jerk Policy is unique and effective. I have yet to experience a jerk at Nimble and this is what truly brings a company forward; with the best possible team you can work for.

Cons

Right now, I haven't seen one con and that's very surprising. Time will tell.

Keep up the momentum as we take share in the storage market. The foundation of the CORE principles need to always stay in place for the further success of this company. Leadership couldn't be better. Suresh, Varun and Umesh are truly some of the most humble and truly genuine folks I've ever met.