Ning Inc

Updated Jan 16, 2014

Ning Inc CEO Jason Rosenthal

Jason Rosenthal

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing engineering team, amazing sales and support staff, mediocre management and product direction.

Frontend Developer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe best group of engineers I've ever had the opportunity to work with; everyone cared about their respective tasks and contributions to the overall product, often working as hard as necessary to get things done regardless of how unreasonable the deadlines were.

ConsLong hours, grueling redundant work that feels largely unnecessary, impartial to career growth opportunities internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more to tenured employees, especially the ones that have shown dedication and area expertise, be more conscious of overworking, and provide constant feedback on career paths at the company.

Less than organized

Community Advocate (Former Employee)

ProsSmall, Ability to take responsibility

Consnot a lot of insight into your performance

Advice to Senior ManagementShare goods and bads with team!

Dream job

Senior FP&A Manager (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsPeople, work environment, compensation, work

ConsParking was difficult and required a permit to not have to walk over a city block

Advice to Senior ManagementDo it again, soon, then call me please

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre experience, bad management, no communication or visibility

Associate (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood space, location, young people, off site

Consaverage pay, bad management, lack of visibility into roadmap and management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to be a manager

Ning was an exciting and fast paced place to work!

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsExtremely friendly and professional atmosphere led to creativity and collaboration in problem solving efforts in maintaining maximum website reliability and creating positive experience for our customers.

ConsWas acquired by Glam Media

Advice to Senior ManagementHindsight is always 20/20.

Fast moving company, lots of change in a good way, great people

Palo Alto, CA

ProsSmall company, but not too small - great people - Everyone is approachable and the customers are very cool. Good optimistic feeling about where the company is going - and everyone seems to have a chance to share their ideas.

ConsCommute from the city - but caltrain pass helps. Still some hangover from the past org before the switchover but things seem to be looking up.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess meetings ;) also bring in more customers to talk to us - or the president. need to hire more engineers.

Great job. Great people. Great space.

Palo Alto, CA

ProsIf you are motivated, passionate, and looking for a place where your great ideas won't fall on deaf ears, then Ning is the place for you. Teams are made up of bright, hard-working (but efficient), collaborative folks who leave their egos at home but bring a sense of pride and humor to their work. Did I mention the free lunches? Every day? If you're a talented, tech-savvy vegan...my goodness, APPLY NOW.

ConsSometimes the HVAC gets out of whack. Dress in layers ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementOur UX could use some TLC. Don't be afraid to invest in tools that will breed efficiency and consistency across mobile, tablet and desktop. We owe that to our users.

A lot of ownership at a changing and growing company

Palo Alto, CA

Pros-The people are amazing - it's one of the best assembled teams to work with. Everyone brings a lot to the table and has a lot of responsibility but it's very collaborative so employees are constantly learning from each other as well.
    -Even though the company has gone through a lot of changes and growing pains, we have a very transparent and caring management team. They openly talk about what decisions are being made, why they're being made, and how they affect everyone. Plus, employees have ample opportunity to ask questions and receive honest answers about the future direction of the company.
    -We're growing, but it's still a small enough company where you aren't pigeonholed. Employees are able to have ownership and see the impact of their work - which is much harder to do at a larger company.

Cons-There has been a ton of change this past year and morale was low for a good part of it. However, as we've been able to see the successes of making those changes, morale is getting better.
    -It is still hard to have the best work-life balance, but that's what any start-up (early stage or growing) offers.

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to talk to employees and understand where they want to go with their careers and help make that growth happen at Ning.

Mixed experience at Ning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe team at Ning was amazing. Very consistently smart and motivated engineers that really wanted to do the right thing.
    Great advocacy and ops teams help developers concentrate on building new software and understanding what customers really want.

ConsRemarkably poor management, especially around senior leadership and product. Its kind of amazing that the same team that failed so miserably at building a product people are willing to actually pay for is now at it for a second time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Now there's a Ning logo next to insanity in the dictionary.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace everyone that led product definition and designed the product development process. Let engineers run the show the way they used to and stop pretending you know things you don't.

Awesome place to work

Palo Alto, CA

ProsAwesome people and colleagues to work with

ConsOrganizational change is hurting focus

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganizational change.

Worked for Ning Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ning Inc reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ning Inc CEO Jason Rosenthal. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Ning Inc employees.