Nintendo

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Satoru Iwata

A fantastic company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe benefits as well as the pay. The reputation, and I love video games. They treat employees with respect and care.

ConsIt is a very demanding job. They have a good reputation that you must uphold. You're representing the biggest name in gaming history.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways continue to treat your employee's with the respect they deserve.

Would it kill them to have a view to the outside world?

Consumer Support Representative (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThe pay was decent for the job. Training was thorough enough as a crash course to their consumer service position. You can wear your pajamas to work. Decent tea in the break room. I got off of work at a decent time, allowing me to get to a second job.

ConsSitting in the same spot all day. People listening in randomly to your phone calls, while I understand the point of this it brings with it a certain level of anxiety. Watching people getting axed around you. Like almost no access to the outside world. I heard they pay people a dollar less an hour for the same position I had a year previous. They had started everyone at $14 the year before and my brother started the next year with everyone getting $13. Did everyone suddenly become less worth your dollar?

A dream job while working

Associate Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAmazing pay, great work-life balance, trustworthy

ConsOnly contract option for employment at that moment in time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to develope a good career path

Administrative (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsNintendo offers a lot of career development courses. Beautiful campus with on-site cafe, gym, parking garage and company store.

ConsNintendo likes to have a lean workforce so be prepared for long days. Dissemination of information is slow impacts ability to develop solid plans.

Not all fun and games at Nintendo of America

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGood cafe. Decent food and subsidized green arrow meals daily at $3.15
    Playful environment with athletics and soccer field.
    Used to make great video games.

ConsJapanese company, all decisions made by NCL.
    No room for growth.
    Company slow to respond to ideas and trends. NOA can easily be compared to both Xeroz and Kodak.
    Management is good old boys network and have to kiss up to get promoted or know Japanese.
    Slow to accept new ideas or try new techniques.
    Pay is low and work encourages employees to try and do more with less resources. Soon I just do less with less resources.
    Not tech savvy company and they are behind curve in innovation. (project galaxy?? )
    Star system
    Associate employees are treated as Permatemps. (some associates have been w/company over 7+ years and not offered full time jobs)
    Stock/profit sharing only for management and above.
    Don't promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more innovation within company. Hold managers and above accountable for initiatives and make place fun to work at.

Wonderful Company

ProsI love working at Nintendo. I feel so well taken care of here. The benefits are the best I have ever had and I truly feel that Nintendo values their employees. Its a fun, innovative company with lots of fun people. The new building in beautiful, with an ergonomics team on hand, desks that you can stand up with, a gym, fitness classes, soccer field and volleyball court.

Work life balance all depends on your department and manager but from what I see it is very balanced thru out the company. On the rare occasion I am at work past 5:30 I don't see a lot of people staying very late.

ConsThere are not a ton of opportunities for growth. People don't leave much, so positions don't open up. Lot's for 15+ year employees so a little old school.

Good compensation, but no work/life balance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA fun team atmosphere and company culture.

ConsFor some projects you will be expected to give up your home life entirely due to bad management choices and lack of resources being committed to the project.

Not What You Think

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsCompetitive with pay, vacation, and benefits.

ConsBackstabbing environment. Almost impossible to move up within the company. You will be pushed out if you make any waves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your managers. There is a reason why the majority of a department is no longer working there. Lack of support, lack of caring, and simply being in a position that is far past their capabilities.

Game Testers aren't people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to play video games...before you hate them and yourself.

ConsWorking in a cage for weeks on end
    Smelly coworkers
    You will never, ever be promoted to Red Badge unless you're a kiss ass.
    No job stability
    Terrible human beings

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you just treat the game testing area like a farm, hiring massive amounts of people and then dumping them once they aren't of use. Why not create an environment where creativity, intelligence are valued? Raise the criteria of being hired above being able to fog a mirror.

It's been just ok...

District Supervisor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros-Product is fun
    -Immediate level co-workers
    -Innovative products

Cons-Microscopic management
    -No autonomy
    -Lack of growth opportunity if your are not with the 'in crowd'
    -Major nepotism problem
    -Overeaching politics
    -Lack of fair standard policies
    -Constant rollback of ideas
    -Too much like a military dictatorship
    -very little incentives
    -Lack of work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax! people will do a good job for you if you allow them to.

Worked for Nintendo? Contribute to the Community!