Nintendo of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nintendo of America CEO Satoru Iwata

Satoru Iwata

Pros:
  • "Really smart, passionate people, work life balance encouraged, a place where balancing children and work might be more easy than other places"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice amenities on campus, great employees to work beside (but not necessarily to work for)"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Only part-time, no full-time offer in my location"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Incredibly toxic work environment where contractors are told in no uncertain terms that Nintendo does not think of them as people, let alone employees"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tons of change

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-Pretty cool to work for Nintendo.
    -Decent cafeteria.
    -Company store.
    -On sight gym, soccer field, sports courts.
    -Decent benefits.
    -Lots of nice people.

Cons-Many tools don't work after software "upgrade".
    -Associate employees are largely displeased and mid-management is powerless to help. Concerns brought to higher management are disregarded.
    -Change is good, but too much change too fast has created an unstable, chaotic mood.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove morale immediately before all the good reps go elsewhere.

Good benefits- Your experience may vary

Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, competitive salary, casual corporate culture, Redmond campus has nice amenities, fun products.

ConsI worked in two different departments, with vastly different experiences. Your VP, Director, and Manager will go a long way in determining if you like your job. A high percentage of management has been with the company for decades, which can be viewed as good or bad, and is probably a combination of both. Company runs very lean, so be prepared to put in extra hours when it gets busier. In my experience promotions were slow in coming, but again this varies from department to department. Many IT systems we used were outdated and clunky, but they were in the middle of a painfully slow upgrade process when I left so I can't say if that has improved or not. Discounts at the company store are not as good as you'll find at Microsoft or other video game companies. Be aware that contractor positions (testing, operations, contact center) do not carry nearly the same benefits or salary as a regular NOA employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new strategy for the Wii U before those piles of cash evaporate away.

Okay company to work for

Redmond, WA

ProsGood benefits. Flexible work schedule.

ConsNo opportunity for growth. Once you are in a role, that is where you stay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There's a reason why people spend their entire career here.

Production Specialist (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsAMAZING benefits, bonuses twice a year, pension plan, it's Nintendo.

ConsJapanese owned company. Lots of red tape and lost in translation frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to seriously cross-train departments.

Quality Assurance

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsReally awesome opportunities for overtime. You get to test games all day and sort of get an idea for game development life cycles. They definitely reward you for quality work and dedication to your job.

ConsSometimes feels like they will hire just about anyone for a QA position and length of a contract may not be entirely stable as a source of income.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities for advancement and permanent positions.

Fun in theory

Redwood City, CA

ProsFun products and good people to work with and good work life balance

ConsNo growth opportunity, can't figure out what to change to adapt to changing consumer, LOTS of process issues

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to up the morale and not just with rah-rah speeches

Intimidating, but overall fun and informative.

Bilingual Product Specialist (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

Prosgreat for entry level position, great people.

Conscontractor seems inflexible with allowing for upward mobility/salary improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter hours

Micromanaged, overworked and bait /switch

(Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsSalary was pretty competitive and there was the potential for a large yearly bonus - but I didn't expect to actually see a dime of it.

ConsHealth insurance was ridiculously expensive (> $550/month for the employee), extreme micromanagement was the norm, and work/life balance was absolutely non-existent (my management literally expected 14+ hour days). Absolutely terrible culture - toxic, hostile, and devoid of any redeeming qualities. Was repeatedly lied to during the interview and I felt a total bait/switch from when I interviewed to when I started and resigned shortly thereafter.

Good workers, management is lacking

ProsThe employees are great and have a positive attitude. The Hawaii house is an awesome benefit.

ConsThe management structure is based on promoting people for performing individual contributor tasks well, and as a result they don't lead/manage well. It can be very frustrating to work under people like this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice with upper management is to re-shape the management structure. Stop micro-managing employees, allow people to help in making decisions, talk openly and frequently with your employees, teach your managers how to manage, and create a means of measuring management performance on the leadership level instead of just looking at numbers.

Great Great Pay!

ProsChallenging work, awesome benefits, great pay, fun people in most cases. Great location, flexible hours within reason and great exposure to international business styles.

Conslack of clarity, lack of clear expectations at times, favoritism, unfair review processes.

Worked for Nintendo of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nintendo of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nintendo of America CEO Satoru Iwata. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Nintendo of America employees.